Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
No, there is nothing wrong with you not liking it here.

I was born and raised in NC and I do not like it here. Every time I take a trip out to places like Wyoming or Colorado, I feel like that is where I belong.

The people in NC seem rather weird. It seems like everyone that grows up around here only hangs out with their buddies from high school.

Even though I was born and raised in NC, everyone thinks I am from up north because I do not have a southern accent and I do not "look" like a native North Carolinian.

NC still has many racial problems too. The NAACP is always complaining about something.

I am losing my patience with this State....
Wow, I am completely on the same page. I have lived in Charlotte for 4 years and can't stand it.
NC has mtns, beach, blah blah, its just a malaise of stagnation here.

I feel the exact same way when I visit CO, UT, WY and California for work and outdoors trips.

I have sincerely tried, and just cant' stand it here. I had a wonderful social life and network in Phoenix , where I moved from. But, its non-existent here.
I have never seen so many materialistic clickish wierdo people in my life.
Even after 4 years, I am astounded at everyone's favorites activities in CHarlotte: Get hammered at bars, find someone to use with a boat on Lake Norman, sit like a fat blob in a culdesac watching their 6 kids run around while they expand, and finally people who feel the need to talk about their abbhorent church.
Not everyone believes in fairy tales and bronze age mythology.

Don't get me started on the NCAAP. I went downtown last weekend when that basketball tournament was in Charlotte and it looked like a prison yard. I have never seen so many degenerate, thuggish, digusting people trouncing around uptown. Is this for real? I though Charlotte was at least an upscale city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresca99 View Post
I can empathize with your feelings about North Carolina. I moved to the Raleigh area 14 years ago from the Northeast and have never really felt at home here. I miss being in a vibrant metropolitan area with plenty of entertainment venues and cultural diversity. Raleigh is basically a sleepy Southern hamlet that cannot accommodate the demands of a growing metropolis.
Its all of NC. Like other posters have wrote, NC is a settlement state.
Its a good place for families.
I tried volunteer , and all sorts of groups. Met some nice people, but no connections, the friends I did make all moved for work.
I have lived in Phoenix, San Diego and DC and always had a great social network, but Charlotte, and NC in general is just not for me.
I would leave tomorrow if I found a job in a preferable region.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Don't get me started on the NCAAP. I went downtown last weekend when that basketball tournament was in Charlotte and it looked like a prison yard. I have never seen so many degenerate, thuggish, digusting people trouncing around uptown. Is this for real? I though Charlotte was at least an upscale city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqETyU9k0lM

Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

I have lived in NC for almost 6 years now......there are still times I find myself in tears wanting to move back home (California!)
Same here. We left the west coast in 2004. I like Asheville (as a little-big city), but the south... not so much.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyMartin View Post
Wow, I am completely on the same page. I have lived in Charlotte for 4 years and can't stand it.
NC has mtns, beach, blah blah, its just a malaise of stagnation here.

I feel the exact same way when I visit CO, UT, WY and California for work and outdoors trips.

I have sincerely tried, and just cant' stand it here. I had a wonderful social life and network in Phoenix , where I moved from. But, its non-existent here.
I have never seen so many materialistic clickish wierdo people in my life.
Even after 4 years, I am astounded at everyone's favorites activities in CHarlotte: Get hammered at bars, find someone to use with a boat on Lake Norman, sit like a fat blob in a culdesac watching their 6 kids run around while they expand, and finally people who feel the need to talk about their abbhorent church.
Not everyone believes in fairy tales and bronze age mythology.

Thank you for painting everyone who attended the CIAA Tournament with such a broad brush! For your information, the majority of the people who were @ the CIAA events are either graduates of those HBCU's or are alumni of those schools, so I guess those 40-50 yr. old alumni who were there were also thugs and degenerates! Of course since this was a large black event, there were some of those types out there, but for the most part, the majority of the people there went to those CIAA schools, they were either graduates or alumni! I'm also sorry that you've had such a miserable experience living in Charlotte, but not everyone in Charlotte live like that, but again, apparently you like to paint everyone in Charlotte with such a broad brush!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina