Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 23,186 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Sandhills area in the next year. My husband will be working in Pinehurst. What are the best areas to live for folks with young kids (7, 5, & 3)? I'm concerned the area is geared toward seniors, retirees & golfers. We're none of the above! Do any of the golf course communities offer a family friendly environment (busy pools, playgrounds, etc)? Are there non-golf communities that still offer community pools? What are the best areas for kids? How about the schools, anyone care to chime in about the local public school system?

Thanks much "Sandhillers" I appreciate your input.

Last edited by Michigonian; 02-03-2011 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: wanted to add a question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM

27 posts, read 64,465 times
Moore county has great schools for the younger ones: southern pines primary( offers year round), sand hills farmlife ( Carthage area). There are some good private options as well but I don't know specifics.

There are a lot of retirees here and golfers but Moore county is seeing an influx of Military and DOD civilians choosing to live here and work at Ft. Bragg. These families are generally younger and have children. The parks and rec program here is exceptional with many opportunities for your children to get out and have fun.

The area has numerous family friendly neighborhoods, it just depends on the area ( Carthage, pinehurst, southern pines, Aberdeen, vass) you want to live. Each area has a distinct flavor.

I am not a realtor, just someone who likes the area. Hopes this helps.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Foxfire village has lots of kids living there plus a community pool. It is only five miles from the center of Pinehurst and homes range from low 200's to 500's It has a homeowners association but the yearly dues are only $20. Foxfire does have two golf courses but you are not required to join in or play golf. It's there if you want it.
There are brand new houses for sale there right now and a real beauty right on the lake.

The sand hills does have lots of seniors no matter where you live so you are not going to find many places without them.

BTW seniors,they are harmless.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,243 times
Hi there! I just posted a question last night to try to find out which neighborhoods in the Pinehurst area specifically have a good number of families in them. (We, like you, do not want to end up with all retirees) Nobody has replied yet to my post but I will let you know if they do! From all of my research I feel we need to be in the "Pinehurst" area school district. (There is Pinehurst Elementary which is a school of excellence and Academy Heights Elem which is on year round schedule and also school of excellence) I am going to go there and check out the schools next week so I will let you know. We are moving there from Charlotte (In June), so it is only an easy 2 hour drive for us to try and figure it all out. My kids will be the exact same ages as yours when we move. 3 girls, 7,5, and 3. I already got my little one a spot in a preschool but haven't been there yet so I will let you know about that too if you are interested. I will offer you as much help as I can be once I figure some more things out. What is your timeframe for moving?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM

8 posts, read 23,052 times
Did you pick a location? I have five young kids (10, 9, 6, 4, 2) and am looking around the pinehurst area as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 PM

174 posts, read 313,343 times
I grew up in Fayetteville. Pinehurst is light years ahead of Hope mills. Are you looking for private schools? If so it really doesn't matter. if you are looking for a public school, jack britt is the best in that area. I went to terry sanford but most of my friends went to jack britt and loved it.

I also lived in SouthField Michigan,,,warning it is Hot as fire in fayetteville compared to michigan.As a matter of fact fayetteville is consistantly warmer than most cities in NC. So be prepared.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 AM

94 posts, read 386,250 times
Hello., Looking at Pinehurst as a possible place to relocate., but am wondering it there are many teens in the area .., and what is there to do for them? Are the schools good? Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina