Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,920 times

Advertisements

I live on Bearwallow Mountain in Henderson County NC. We are often in the path of the Asheville Airport. For whatever reason when a plane comes over the Coyotes screetch and howl. It a scary sound and my 3 dogs go nuts and run into the woods after them. I havn't lost one yet and I pray that I wont in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,908 times
I moved to Burke county in late 2001 and lived there until March of this year, I lived on 3.3 acres in the woods surrounded by a 10 acre tract of woods, 4 acre tract of woods, and 7 acre tract of woods to go along with mine.

We had some cats outside also.

To clarify, this wasn't way up in Linville Gorge or something, this was right near the Burke/Catawba county line.

"I was told that a dozen or so years back, that the state actually released coyotes here in the foothills. I've heard (at work) that they are a problem killing small animals and chickens. I've never seen one, but I have seen a lot of foxes (or what I've assumed were foxes!)"

Yes, this is true. They released like 40 of them at South Mountain State Park in like 2003(I lived like 15-20 mins from the park) and in late 2006 is when they finally made it around I guess.

A neighbors' calf was killed by a pack of them, they also killed afew of our cats, sometimes at night you could go out there and hear them all surrounding the yard on the edge of the woods howling and yapping, one night it actually woke me up.

They were still around when I left so I assume it can only get worse.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,729 times
I recently lost my cat. We searched just outside our yard in the field. We found the lower half of Frisky. It was just a skeleton and his hind feet were left, as we idendified him by that. We searched for the last two days for any other remains and found nothing. We were curious, what would tare a cat apart and eat everything to the bone? We made some phone calls and consulted with several state officals and all had the same possible answer: coyotes! I have never heard of these animals in this area, not to say in this state! Now i have been informed that they are in every county. Little late to be informed, as we have lost a precious pet to a violent death right outside our yard, in Hudson NC. According to all the research we have done, this would be the only animal that would do such a thing. I feel that the state or the counties should send out a notice to inform residents of the possibility that small pets left outside could be pray for these coyotes, since everyone i spoke with have told me that coyotes are in all counties in NC. I have only lived here for two years and have never heard of coyotes in any counties, not to mention this state. I was horrified finding part of my cat and wonder "what" else lives out there that we don't know about?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I dont know what area your in but without proof you do not know if it was a wild cat , someones dog, wild dog, or other wild animal available for your knowledge probably before you moved to this beautiful state that is great for humans but WILDLIFE as well

coexisting with north Carolina wildlife

Other critters you may be unaware that exist in North Carolina
This info has been available for a long time at the Wildlife Commision
Be wary about trash and dog food that is kept outside

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
If you want to see coyotes, come to Mooresville. We have them in the woods near our house. The Mooresville Tribune had an article about them back in July or August. They were spotted walking across Hwy 3. I haven't heard them recently, but you could hear them at night. DH was out walking the dog one night & saw thing on the edge of the woods, about 4 houses down from us. We had them when we lived in NY, I honestly believe they got one of my cats. He just disappeared, never came home for dinner, which he never missed.

BxRosie

Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
I saw one running across the 321 hwy going down the mountain towards Lenior. Ugly looking creature. My friend lost all her cats that lived outside, and her neighbor said that was what probably happened to them. Sad

Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
I live in Southeastern Cumberland County--I do know of one that was killed on Hwy. 13 in Sampson County. We had 2 cats when we moved here and I don't know if dogs got them or the coyotes.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
it might have been this occurence here in North Carolina
YouTube - MonsterQuest | Vampire Beast [PART 1 OF 5]

Old 09-21-2008, 07:14 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have read where there are coyotes in NC. In every county! So where have people actually spotted them? I have cats...they only go out during the day so it is of concern to me.
WE have a coyote or two living in our neighborhood . Approx 10 cats and small dogs went missing last year but no reports this year , coyote was spotted last month, maybe people are supervising pets more?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
I've seen them in Cumberland County.

But, PLEASE keep your cats inside! Outside cats KILL millions of native songbirds every year.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Migratory Bird Management, Pamphlets Migratory Songbird Conservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina