Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times

Advertisements

There are many ways to describe North Carolina. We are southern, and in the southeast. But we aren't in the deep south, nor the upland south (I've never heard of this term). I believe our economies match up more with the Mid-Atlantic more. But we do have a strong tie to agriculture and the rest of the south.

So the truth of the matter is, almost all are correct descriptions of NC.

I would take:

[Southern States] - [Deep South] - [Upland South] = North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Maryland and Delaware.

But, looking at Mid-Atlantic states, we aren't included. But I wouldn't include NY as Mid-Atlantic either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's fine, but you still live in the South. You can't change what or where NC is just because of your bias towards the South.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM

16 posts, read 24,206 times
NC is a southeastern state. WTH are ya'll from with this mid atlantic deal? NEVER heard of that until recently? Really? Ask native NC'ers and see what they say. I guarantee they will not mention mid atlantic. 1/3rd of the state goes deeper than parts of SC,GA,AL,MS

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 24,206 times
I have to disagree. I am born and raised in NC and have never heard of any native referring to themselves as mid atlantic . . . south eastern indeed but not mid atlantic. Geographically wrong, VA is in the middle, culturally wrong, accents, food, climate and just a bad assesment of the state all around. Based on the outside looking in , it is still a southern state with an extremely high number of transplants. If NY'ers moved to MS it does not make MS any less southern than it was prior to.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Mid-atlantic is just a subgrouping of some of the states from two different regions. The southern states that are in the mid-atlantic area are still southern...same goes for the northeastern and "border" states. I look at mid-atlantic as a different designation of some states from the Northeast and Southeast that are in the middle. It's not really a big deal - those states in question are still part of their larger regions.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Mid-Atlantic

Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Mid-Atlantic
LOL...give it up dude. You's in the South and your disdain of the South isn't going to change that.

I just don't understand why you don't move if it's that serious to you.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:09 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
I agree Joe. Note that the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) is a regional sports cable network. MASN serves a 7 state area, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, and parts of West Virginia. Of course, Turner South also covers part of North Carolina too, which reflects North Carolina's dual status as Southern and Mid-Atlantic.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I agree Joe. Note that the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) is a regional sports cable network. MASN serves a 7 state area, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, and parts of West Virginia. Of course, Turner South also covers part of North Carolina too, which reflects North Carolina's dual status as Southern and Mid-Atlantic.
It's kind of like Alabama is Appalachian and part of the Gulf Coast region, but still a southern state....Georgia is an Atlantic Coast state and Appalachian but still southern...Florida has all kinds of designations, but is still part of the South.

Although NC is mostly mid-atlantic, I think that the eastern part of the state more strongly identifies that way. You would be hard pressed to find someone in Wilkes or Watauga County that would identify with being mid-atlantic. Additionally, the MASN is not carried by Time Warner Cable - which is the main cable carrier in NC. It must be on Direct TV or something...but I do agree that, at least the eastern part of the state, is mid-atlantic.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Although NC is mostly mid-atlantic, I think that the eastern part of the state more strongly identifies that way. You would be hard pressed to find someone in Wilkes or Watauga County that would identify with being mid-atlantic. Additionally, the MASN is not carried by Time Warner Cable - which is the main cable carrier in NC. It must be on Direct TV or something...but I do agree that, at least the eastern part of the state, is mid-atlantic.
Now THAT'S interesting because eastern NC bears more resemblance to the Deep South characteristically speaking--coastal plain region, more dependent on agriculture historically, large Black rural population, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina