Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's actually irrelevant. Look at the rural areas in Southern Appalachia (western NC, northern GA, eastern TN, etc.) and my argument still stands. Even so, I'm Black and am quite knowledgeable about the cultural impacts of Blacks in the rural South.

No; I am rebutting this argument:
To say that rural areas in other parts of the country are "as much Dixie as the South without the drawl" is just ridiculous. Certainly there are some aspects of rural living that are consistent across the country (e.g., prevalence of hunting and fishing, agriculture, etc.), but there are still significant cultural differences between the rural South and rural areas in other regions of the country.

Otherwise, I feel that you don't have a sense of degrees of differences. I say that south Jersey has noticeably more Quaker, Catholic, and Episcopal churches than fundamentalist, evangelical churches and you interpret that as me saying that the area has no evangelical churches.
I never said that you think that there are no evangelical churches in South Jersey. Reread what you did say, then look up Rev Carl McIntyre. His followers, outside of South Jersey, were to the south. When he lost his radio license, he bought a boat & ran a pirate radio station off the coast of Cape May. He was the radio equivalent of Falwell & Baker.

My sister has lived in Pitman for about 40 years. It started as a Methodist camp. As her kids were growing up, some of the mothers made it clear to my sister that my niece & nephew would be on their radar when their kids got to be dating age, since they would be "fresh blood". That was the point that my sister realized that most of the town was related to each other.

As there tends to be more variety of religion in the north & the northern parts of the MidAtlantic, the unspoken rule is to not bring up religion. That doesn't mean that if you work with someone, have them as a neighbor, etc, that an Evangelical in that area will not become aggressive. My maternal grandma was Pentecostal & never spoke about religion to her grandchildren because her kids (2 Methodists & 2 Catholics ) forbade it. That is probably northern, but as more denominations become more numerous in NC, I guarantee that it's an attitude that will come to the area, not that some people don't already have it. I will say that 2 of the 3 individuals who have been obnoxious about their Evangelical religious views to me, here, have been Yankees. They thought it was OK because they were below the Mason Dixon line. One has been asked to stay away at the public library, because she can't keep her religious views to herself. Respecting differences comes with variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Is NC a southern state? I think Phil Berger and our "goober" GA can answer that for ya! lol
It has nothing to do with that--we are and were a "Southern" state even when Democrats ran the GA which was only a few years ago.

Cultural identity =/= which political party is running things.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I have to say, I was surprised by how seldom I saw the stars & bars when I moved here, not disappointed, just surprised.
Which just goes to show that the stereotypes you'd been taught were false.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I wasn't taught anything about people flying the stars & bars in NC. That might come as a surprise & be somewhat disappointing for you. I assumed that, considering the frequency that I was used to seeing it, that I would see it about the same frequency. I almost never see it here.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Well it's kinda hard to say that without knowing what her expectations were. But you can't go too long without seeing some sort of Confederate paraphernalia in the rural South, or even parts of the urban South for that matter. Those folks went into overdrive after the flag was finally removed from Statehouse grounds in Columbia.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it's kinda hard to say that without knowing what her expectations were. .
I was noting that she was "surprised not to see many here", which is evidence that her expectations were that she would see a lot.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:15 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I was noting that she was "surprised not to see many here", which is evidence that her expectations were that she would see a lot.
True, but I don't know what "a lot" for her is. She could've been expecting to see a new display of the flag every other day, or maybe just once a few months. Either way, it's not exactly unusual to see some sort of Confederate paraphernalia on display every now and then in the rural parts of the former Confederacy, especially the parts where Whites are a majority. It's pretty ironic today in that you'll see more displays of the flag in Appalachia than in the coastal plain/"Deep South" areas where slavery was actually a lot more prevalent.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
I see Confederate flags constantly around towns in Appalachia like Boone, NC or Mountain City, TN, definitely ironic. In Raleigh and eastern NC, I don't see it as often.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I drive past Confederate flags every day in Alamance County. You do seem to see them more on trailers —*that's where the ones I drive past are.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
In rural NC you'll see the confederate flags, but they're uncommon in the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina