Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 09:02 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,211,043 times

Advertisements

North Cackalacky is just nickname based on NC. Here's a video from a NC native that might give you a flavor of urban North Carolina. I think you are fixated on small town, rural NC as the only "southern" part of NC and that's just not the case. There are different flavors of NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWxGE7zSPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 09:55 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There are southern baptist churches in Pennsylvania...is Pennsylvania a southern state?
Well, Waffle House has invaded Pennsylvania.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Whoops.. Sorry.. Ok, North Jersey then I always get Upstate New York mixed up with "North Jersey".
And the difference between North Jersey and South Jersey is night and day.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,791,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
North Cackalacky is just nickname based on NC. Here's a video from a NC native that might give you a flavor of urban North Carolina. I think you are fixated on small town, rural NC as the only "southern" part of NC and that's just not the case. There are different flavors of NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWxGE7zSPA
Hahahah.. Nice.. Well, I am not entirely fixated on small town living, but obviously big urban centers are not my cup of tea when it comes to culture and traditions. As far as rural living, I grew up in a place much more rural and isolated than anywhere in the South.

I do like that Japanese North Cackalakian (did I say that right? ) rapper though.. Carolina BBQ sauce with the slaw.. Those are words to live by.. My Korean North Carolinan native friend hates hip-hop and is into country music, bluegrass and folk, but I still have to share with him this video even if he detests it..

Damn, I have not had a good piece of BBQ, coleslaw, hush puppies, potato salad,etc since I left north Carolina.. You should see the garbage they call BBQ here.. Nobody in Colorado even knows what banana pudding is.. Can some of you'all open up a restaurant here in Craparado?

Well, there are many urban centers of the South that I still feel are much more Southern than Charlotte. Some that come to mind would be Dallas/FW, Houston, Nashville, Charleston, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Little Rock, Richmond, etc. But, that is my opinion and of course it could change as I spend more time visiting various cities in the South.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Well, there are many urban centers of the South that I still feel are much more Southern than Charlotte. Some that come to mind would be Dallas/FW, Houston, Nashville, Charleston, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Little Rock, Richmond, etc. But, that is my opinion and of course it could change as I spend more time visiting various cities in the South.
DFW and Houston more Southern than Charlotte??? That's a new one. All those other metros are smaller and and many are more historic or slower-growing so that makes sense.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:09 PM

329 posts, read 247,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There are southern baptist churches in Pennsylvania...is Pennsylvania a southern state?

Are there Southern Baptist Churches on every street corner in Pennsylvania, as I said?

No. There's not.

NEXT

Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Are there Southern Baptist Churches on every street corner in Pennsylvania, as I said?

No. There's not.

NEXT
There aren't southern baptist churches on every street corner in NC, thankfully. But there's a LOT up nawth:

http://www.sbc.net/churchsearch/churches-near-me.asp

Like the song says, the baptists don't own the south, they just use the name.

NEXT

Old 03-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post

No. There's not.

NEXT
Over and over I have seen people point to Cracker Barrel and Waffle House as being signs that you're in the South. Cracker Barrel is in South Jersey and Waffle House is in Pennsylvania. There are plenty of Southern Baptist churches in Pennsylvania. Keep trying.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 PM

464 posts, read 419,229 times
North Carolina has never been Mid-Atlantic. It really has nothing in common with the predominant culture in states like Maryland, New Jersey, etc. End of discussion. Next thread.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,337,299 times
This map divides NC into Mid-Atlantic South and Southern Appalachia. NoVA is plain MA.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu68Arfj...=1bfmo9x5p4edy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina