Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I had an employer who hired someone with the UNC degree over the UNC-Pembroke degree when they both had similar grades and qualifications.
The gulf between Carolina's and Pembroke's reputations is way larger than that between State and ECU. Assuming someone's applying for a job where the person hiring has even heard of State or ECU, which would essentially mean something local and probably not that prestigious anyway, it's likely not going to matter one way or the other which school the person went to outside certain fields like medicine or engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Well I guess the only part I didn't address directly in my first post. The easy whatever is an old tired no longer true stereotype. Like I assume, NCSU doesn't cater to only rednecks......
Ok. I know it's a thin line, but I didn't say ECU was "easy credit university" but that it is known as such. I know that this is not true, I know that regionally in "Pirate Country" (East of US 70/I-95) it is held in higher regard. That most HS students in that area aspire to ECU, followed closely bu NC State. I also know that ECU is far from "the party school of the east coast" it was once known far. That doesn't change the fact that once you leave Pirate Country it still may be perceived this way. Just type in "easy credit university" in google and you'll find different threads across the web with this very same debate. One side promoting the stereotype, the other defending the school. Basically, I'm not saying the stereotype is true, just that it exists. A lot more than the NC State redneck one. Also, outside of Eastern NC NC, the NC State name carries more prestige overall than ECU. IF you don't believe that you're fooling yourself.

Though I did note in my first post, how you perform at teh school and how you pad your resume' is more important than which of these two schools you go to. I also noted that they are about on par with each other.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I do want to note that due to ECU long affiliation with the military (it runs a campus on Cherry Point MCAS) and it's satellite programs with the area community colleges, it has probably the best online program in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina