Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times

Advertisements

Just wondering - anyone have any opinion on either school? I'm looking at Public Leadership at NCSU and a Communications degree - emphasis on PR at ECU.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
ECU is known for teaching, medicine, and music. Outside of that, it's known as "easy credit university". Still not a bad school, and a lot cheaper than State. State has more prestige overall, but I also believe it's the most expensive public university in the UNC system. I specifically don't the reputation of either program at either school. Still, I don't think a diploma from either institution would affect future employment more than the other in that field. At least not as much as your individual talent and resume'. College life at ECU is way more socially focused than NC State and "cliched". NC State would give you more opportunities outside the classroom just b/c it's a larger school in a more highly populated area. Everything in Greenville revolves around ECU and the hospital.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
ECU is known for teaching, medicine, and music. Outside of that, it's known as "easy credit university". Still not a bad school, and a lot cheaper than State. State has more prestige overall, but I also believe it's the most expensive public university in the UNC system. I specifically don't the reputation of either program at either school. Still, I don't think a diploma from either institution would affect future employment more than the other in that field. At least not as much as your individual talent and resume'. College life at ECU is way more socially focused than NC State and "cliched". NC State would give you more opportunities outside the classroom just b/c it's a larger school in a more highly populated area. Everything in Greenville revolves around ECU and the hospital.
Such BS when it comes to that stereotype. I guess, since we are talking stereotypes, then the only type of people who go to NCSU are rednecks. Chapel Hill is more expensive than NCSU. ECU has the same opportunities as NCSU, so again BS. Yes Greenville is a smaller city though, so Raleigh would offer more than Greenville. But within the Universities, both are about equal.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Just wondering - anyone have any opinion on either school? I'm looking at Public Leadership at NCSU and a Communications degree - emphasis on PR at ECU.

Thanks!
I guess the bigger question is what do you want to do. Not knowing anything about a public leadership degree, which one is closer to your career choice? I would go to an open house at both universities and see which one fits better to your lifestype/personality.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
The Leadership in the Public Sector program at State is a distance learning program, so issues with the campus itself seem moot. Greenville has less stuff than Raleigh but ECU's campus is nicer. If you're looking into public administration, ASU's PA program is the largest in the state.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Such BS when it comes to that stereotype. I guess, since we are talking stereotypes, then the only type of people who go to NCSU are rednecks. Chapel Hill is more expensive than NCSU. ECU has the same opportunities as NCSU, so again BS. Yes Greenville is a smaller city though, so Raleigh would offer more than Greenville. But within the Universities, both are about equal.

Which stereotype in particular are you calling BS? Which part of my statement do you feel is untrue or are you offended by? Just curious.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Thanks for the answers. i was really just looking for anyone who had personal knowledge of either school / degree. I was also sorta looking for school "perception". Both degrees I'm looking at are online, but school reputation was a concern of mine. Someone mentioned that ECU tends to be "easy credits", when I'm applying for jobs, that's important to me. I don't want to be edged out by someone who went to NCSU just because the school has a better rep. Lol, hope that made sense.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Thanks for the answers. i was really just looking for anyone who had personal knowledge of either school / degree. I was also sorta looking for school "perception". Both degrees I'm looking at are online, but school reputation was a concern of mine. Someone mentioned that ECU tends to be "easy credits", when I'm applying for jobs, that's important to me. I don't want to be edged out by someone who went to NCSU just because the school has a better rep. Lol, hope that made sense.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming.
That is bull. Sure ECU is more well known regionally, as opposed to NCSU. But if you earn chancellors/deans/honor list at either school, you'll be fine. No need to squander this chance

Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Which stereotype in particular are you calling BS? Which part of my statement do you feel is untrue or are you offended by? Just curious.
Well I guess the only part I didn't address directly in my first post. The easy whatever is an old tired no longer true stereotype. Like I assume, NCSU doesn't cater to only rednecks......

Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Thats not bull, Mr.B.
You think all employers are going to consider both degrees equally? We all know thats a lie. Especially if you are applying to jobs out of state. ECU isn't a widely known school with a good reputation where as state is. I had an employer who hired someone with the UNC degree over the UNC-Pembroke degree when they both had similar grades and qualifications.

If you have a choice and are accepted to both, NC State is the better choice for anything other than medical.

Now once you get the first job and have experience, where you got your degree from becomes less important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina