Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Depends on age, really. I'm a native and I'd vote tomorrow to legalize gay marriage.
Why do you say age? I'm a 60+ year native, and I'd vote for it tomorrow also.

I think it reflects tolerance learned through interacting with a variety of people. I know several openly gay people, know some I suspect might be gay, and probably know some and no one has a clue they are gay. It doesn't matter, and they are all worthy of enjoying the freedoms and rights we all enjoy living in this country.

I'm also curious about those that are so vocal in their disapproval (remember I watched the public hearing of speakers against Asheville's resolution recently) hiding something, trying to repress their own cravings. Time and time again we hear where a really rabid anti-gay mouthpiece is caught in a gay relationship.
Top 10 Anti-Gay Politicians Caught Being Gay: Anti-Gay Activists Out of The Closet | Top 10 Lists & Much More at Ranker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are wrong. From the NC Statutes:

§ 51‑1.2. Marriages between persons of the same gender not valid.

Marriages, whether created by common law, contracted, or performed outside of North Carolina, between individuals of the same gender are not valid in North Carolina. (1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 588, s. 1.)

It's not that anyone would get arrested for it; they simply are not legal.

Obviously people have "commitment ceremonies" that have no legal binding, and have been doing so for decades. But "marriage" is in fact a legal term and conveys over 1,000 benefits (financial and otherwise). Your legal spouse can get insurance, not be denied hospital visitations or told medical information, they get Social Security survivors' benefits, there are usually tax advantages, even car insurance goes down if you are "married"...countless more. Do you honestly think getting married is not a legal affair? Even heterosexual couples have to get a marriage license, follow certain legal procedures, etc.

Many religions also have marriage ceremonies, of course, but they are not legally valid without the civil part. But, a civil marriage without the church part is just fine. However, same-sex couples cannot get the legal protections that Brittany Spears had in her 55-hour marriage, even after 40 years of committing their lives to each other. It most certainly is a legal thing.

You could "hire a preacher and get married" but your 'spouse' would not have any legal standing if you were in the hospital, or would not inherit your property (even with a will, a non-spouse is at a disadvantage in some ways from a legal spouse)--the list goes on. In fact, even in states where same-sex marriage is recognized, Federal benefits are denied, so someone legally married in Iowa, say, can't file a join Federal tax return although they can file a joint state one.

You're talking about life insurance. Health insurance "family policies" are not usually valid for any but legal spouses. and wills not only cost hundreds of dollars, but they can and frequently are challenged by "blood relatives" and judges have been known to rule in their favor. Heterosexual married couples should have wills too, but if they don't, the spouse gets the estate by default. And, there are inheritance benefits for a legal spouse, exemptions from certain limits, that don't apply to anyone else. Call a lawyer if you don't believe me.

EDIT: Here is just a short portion of some of the rights not available to couples who cannot get legally married:

Rights and Protections Denied Same-Sex Partners.

Also here.
Just because same sex marriage is not valid in NC doesn't make it illegal. There is a huge difference between valid and illegal. It's called criminal prosecution. You simply proved my point that same sex marriage is perfectly legal but isn't recognized (valid) in the state of NC.

Your list of "rights and protections denied same-sex partners" is also a list of "rights and protections denied all unmarried people" including me since I'm single. And with the exception of the 12 weeks of medical leave there wasn't anything on that list that couldn't be solved by a legal agreement, will or power of attorney. The fact that a lawyer may cost a few hundred dollars is called life. Most people spend more on a speeding ticket and you're arguing that it's a financial burden for gay couples to get a will? Besides same sex couples also have the benefit of avoiding the federal tax marriage penalty.

The whole point of my first post is that if you're gay and you want to marry your partner and live happily ever after the only thing prohibiting that is you. I've got no beef with anyone that wants to lobby the government to change the law. I just think it's trivial to seek government appoval for something that has nothing to do with governing.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

The worst part is that this amendment goes beyond just marriage and bars ANY kind of domestic contract between non-married folks. That will have seriuos ramifications on, for example, whether companies such as Blue Cross and SAS (among many others) can offer domestic partner benefits, which is a big HR perk they use to entice the best workers. Not to mention all of those currently on such plans who will suddenly become "uninsured" overnight.
This is the worst part about the proposed amendment. It goes above and beyond banning gay marriage as it appears its sole intent is to punish gays and lesbians in North Carolina. It reminds me a lot of Act 1 in Arkansas, which banned all single people from adopting children as an extra layer of protection against gay adoption. The public thought they were voting against gay adoption but in reality it was much more than that. If certain powers in this state have their way, they will trick NC voters into thinking this is just a gay marriage ban when in fact it goes far beyond that. Its basically a statement to not only gays but all gay-friendly corporations that they are not welcome in North Carolina.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I've always thought the conservative movement was stronger simply because they find it easier to mobilize because they have a built-in weekly meeting: Sunday church

They also feel justified because they believe they are following God's word. Of course, they still eat shellfish which is not allowed according to the bible. So they pick and choose their beliefs. Too bad they have to pick the most-hateful ones.

The amendment is an abomination.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is the worst part about the proposed amendment. It goes above and beyond banning gay marriage as it appears its sole intent is to punish gays and lesbians in North Carolina. It reminds me a lot of Act 1 in Arkansas, which banned all single people from adopting children as an extra layer of protection against gay adoption. The public thought they were voting against gay adoption but in reality it was much more than that. If certain powers in this state have their way, they will trick NC voters into thinking this is just a gay marriage ban when in fact it goes far beyond that. Its basically a statement to not only gays but all gay-friendly corporations that they are not welcome in North Carolina.
In addition to basic hatefulness like you mentioned it's also about exerting state control over individual local and county jurisdictions who recognize same sex partnerships for benefits purposes. I guess that's what "state's rights" is all about.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Quote:
Same here, and I will vote against it, along with adding a provision that NC vote to ban gay marriage all together.
Why? I can't think of any reason why someone would want to stand in the way of this. Is it that you are gay and were not able to marry, so you don't want anyone else to either?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Just because same sex marriage is not valid in NC doesn't make it illegal.
The local media, knowing the topic was going to be discussed by city council found a gay couple that would allow the cameras to accompany them to the Clerk of Courts office to obtain a marriage license.

They filled out the papers, and showed the required ID to prove identity, apparently a requirement, and they were denied because the state does not allow same sex marriages.

Without the license, the marriage is not recognized for legal reasons, which are the things that the same sex couples want, the ability to make decisions as a couple, just as opposite sex couples enjoy.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its basically a statement to not only gays but all gay-friendly corporations that they are not welcome in North Carolina.
Most American corporations are much friendlier to their gay employees than the cities and states in which they operate. This amendment, as proposed, can have long lasting and devistating consequences for NC's economy if corporations stop investing in NC and its people. The worst possible scenario is that companies could actually leave the state. Unfortunately, the best paying jobs are typically in the most open companies.

The reality is that corporate America is light years ahead of our laws. The culture in general is light years ahead of our laws too. But, the right wing knows that their followers actually vote and nothing stirs them up like a little fear and hatred.

As it stands, this amendment could be devistating to North Carolina's economy and future.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
Why would anyone want to support one of the most dangerous lifestyles on the planet.i think one needs to check medical literature to see just how dangerous that lifestyle is.check the cdc website.insurance rates will go up.whether you like it or not the bible says same sex brings bad things.also in the netherlands,gays represents a high number of pych. Cases;the netherlands are alot more open to the gay lifesyle than the us.man and woman is designed for marriage,not same sex couples.when one trys to change gods order of things,into what he beleives is right,we lose.i dont hate gays;in fact they have always treated be with kindness,and respect.the facts are facts ,someone needs to tell people the health issures they are promoting,by wanting gay marriage. No one seems to bring it to the forfront.once more check cdc on homosexuality diseases,and than tell me you support gay marriage.dave

Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE LEY View Post
Why would anyone want to support one of the most dangerous lifestyles on the planet.i think one needs to check medical literature to see just how dangerous that lifestyle is.check the cdc website.insurance rates will go up.whether you like it or not the bible says same sex brings bad things.also in the netherlands,gays represents a high number of pych. Cases;the netherlands are alot more open to the gay lifesyle than the us.man and woman is designed for marriage,not same sex couples.when one trys to change gods order of things,into what he beleives is right,we lose.i dont hate gays;in fact they have always treated be with kindness,and respect.the facts are facts ,someone needs to tell people the health issures they are promoting,by wanting gay marriage. No one seems to bring it to the forfront.once more check cdc on homosexuality diseases,and than tell me you support gay marriage.dave
Yep, those monogamous gay couples will certainly wreak havoc on our planet alright, spreading their homosexuality diseases to all heterosexuals and filling up our psychiatric hospitals because they're all crazy. I'll be glad when we have a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, because then we won't have to worry about attacks from these dangerous people. I just hope my marriage can survive until then...it's already on thin ice now because we know so many gay couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina