Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

A poll from Elon University shows something that many wouldn’t expect from North Carolina (especially if you listen to the state’s Republican lawmakers and County Commissioner Bill James), more than half of Tar Heel State residents believe same-sex unions should receive legal recognition. More than half of North Carolina residents now support legal recognition of same-sex couples, and more than one-quarter believe they should have full marriage rights, according to thr poll released Monday.

read more Many support rights for same-sex couples

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Default poll

I don't get why you are surprised re poll results......we are not ignorant, insensitive, and uncaring folks here in NC.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I neither am surprised.

I Am Always surprised how some people think we are some Bible Belt State hicktown (Well, state). We May soon easily be the 7th most populous state and are already #10. We ain't no little state.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I hate to pour cold water on this survey. Despite the encouraging survey, expect the majority of voters to agree with an amendment to ban same sex marriage and, along with it, any rights whatsoever that they might otherwise agree to provide.
It's a formula that's been effective across this nation and NC will prove no different. I think it sucks but it's a reality that must be faced. The goal is to NOT let it get before voters to determine civil rights. IMO, the very idea that people vote on rights, or lack thereof, is un-American and unconstitutional.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolatsoutherners View Post
Sure, generally the transplants aren't, but a good portion of the natives are.
Well, I agree that some natives are ignorant, insensitive, and uncaring. But I had no idea that transplants are so perfect. Thanks for educating me on this fun fact.

And I'm just guessing here, but based on your post you're obviously a native among the good portion, right?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolatsoutherners View Post
Sure, generally the transplants aren't, but a good portion of the natives are.
Depends on age, really. I'm a native and I'd vote tomorrow to legalize gay marriage.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I hate to pour cold water on this survey. Despite the encouraging survey, expect the majority of voters to agree with an amendment to ban same sex marriage and, along with it, any rights whatsoever that they might otherwise agree to provide.
It's a formula that's been effective across this nation and NC will prove no different. I think it sucks but it's a reality that must be faced. The goal is to NOT let it get before voters to determine civil rights. IMO, the very idea that people vote on rights, or lack thereof, is un-American and unconstitutional.

Unfortunately voting on equality in this country has become the norm and is very concerning. You are most correct it is a forumula that has been effective across the country. Even here in so called liberal Oregon. (Thats a joke in itself) A state that has several times put anti gay initiaties on recent ballots. I can't tell you what an uncomfortable environment that is to live under during campaign and election time. Especially when it is multiple elections. When voting booths and campaign people are all over town, gathering signatures for anti gay initiatives.

I most definitely do not agree that the American voter, should have the right to vote on what rights a gay person should have. It is blantant predjudice plain and simple. Perhaps we should all have the right to vote on what rights st8 America has and see how long that would last. Of course that would not be the way to go and I would not want it to.

There has to be a better solution for the gay person in America. Where people are just people and thier idenity is not based on their sexual orientation. The damn voting concerning this segment of the population needs to stop I know that. After all its 2011 not 1911.

I would love to see NC voters upset this horrible nationwide voting, and vote to let the gay person be equal and just get on with life.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Indeed. In EVERY state that has put this on the ballot, including states much more liberal than NC, it has passed. The only exception was California, and they then overturned it with Prop 8. This is an extremely "emotional" issue and, having been in California the week before the Prop 8 vote, I can attest that the anti-equality crowd runs extremely nasty, emotional, "OMG if you don't vote for this, gays will take over the world and kill your children" kinds of ads several times an hour (and this was in "liberal" California), because they know that the facts are against them but playing to emotions will win them votes. No amount of calm, truth-based data can compete with the plays to emotions (funded largely by out-of-state churches).

In NC, you can expect the ads to make it seem that not to vote for this amendment will cause [long list of outrageous propositions] despite the fact that same-sex marriage is already illegal and that if the amendment does not pass, nothing will change from the way it is now. However, the pro-amendment side will absolutely mislead in their ads by making people believe that same-sex marriage will come to pass [along with many doom and gloom scenarios]. The survey shows that most people do not feel so sgtrgonly as to want an amendment even if they also aren't that gung-ho on same-sex marriage. So, the anti-equality side will make it seem that voting No on the amendment is voting FOR same-sex marriage, which it is not. Again, if the amendment fails, nothing will change from the current state and SSM will remain illegal in NC.

The worst part is that this amendment goes beyond just marriage and bars ANY kind of domestic contract between non-married folks. That will have seriuos ramifications on, for example, whether companies such as Blue Cross and SAS (among many others) can offer domestic partner benefits, which is a big HR perk they use to entice the best workers. Not to mention all of those currently on such plans who will suddenly become "uninsured" overnight.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Depends on age, really. I'm a native and I'd vote tomorrow to legalize gay marriage.

Charlotte Native My Whole Life.

Having lived all over Charlotte and in Lincolnton, Kings Mountain, Gastonia, Mcadenville, Lowell, Belmont and Lake Wylie. I support gay marriage (Obviously, right?) but I also know a lot of natives who support it also (that are straight.). I know more Natives (Who are young adults, my age) who support it than do not support it. It's more of a "who cares?" attitude.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina