Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 38,567 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a new job in Kinston, NC, so we are relocating from Ohio! I know I do not want to live in Kinston. Can someone please help me understand the surrounding towns? We want a quiet small town with a cute little city center within approx. 1/2 hour from Kinston. We will be raising our small children there so we require a town with low violence and good school system! We were looking at a house in La Grange on W. Railroad St., but I didn't know if that was a good area and about the railroad thing. La grange still seemed a little on the higher side when it comes to crime. Please help us find the perfect small town to raise our family!

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
Default Kinston

We live in Winterville, 25 mi. from Kinston. The schools are very good and it is just outside of the city of Greenville. Greenville has all the stores and restaurants you can think of. Ayden is also a very nice quaint, old town. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 24,276 times
Default Welcome to NC

Don't worry. You have lots of options. I moved to NC from NE Ohio 13 years ago, and I love it. I did have to move around a bit to find the right fit for me, though. Are you planning on renting for a little while? That might help. That is what I did. I also have a real estate license, so if you would like help from a pro in that area, I can pre-qualify them for you to make sure you get a nice and professional person that can give you the resources to analyze the crime and schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellnD View Post
My husband is starting a new job in Kinston, NC, so we are relocating from Ohio! I know I do not want to live in Kinston. Can someone please help me understand the surrounding towns? We want a quiet small town with a cute little city center within approx. 1/2 hour from Kinston. We will be raising our small children there so we require a town with low violence and good school system! We were looking at a house in La Grange on W. Railroad St., but I didn't know if that was a good area and about the railroad thing. La grange still seemed a little on the higher side when it comes to crime. Please help us find the perfect small town to raise our family!

Thank you!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,403 times
I grew up in Mi and lived in Greenville for 7 years. I'd say the earlier poster is right. Winterville or Ayden is your best bet in that area.
Good luck.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,546 times
There are several smaller towns located within driving distance of Kinston. I live in Snow Hill which is 14 miles from Kinston. Snow Hill is in Greene County a bordering county of Lenoir County (not to be confused with the western town of Lenoir) which Kinston is in. There is also Pink Hill, Moss Hill, LaGrange, Seven Springs, which are in Lenoir County, Grifton, Winterville, Ayden and Greenville which are in Pitt County, New Bern is nice in Craven County but it is probably at least as far as Greenville is from Kinston at about 30 miles maybe slightly more from Kinston. Greene County has Snow Hill, Hookerton, Walstonburg and Maury with Snow Hill and Hookerton being the closest to Kinston. But with the exception of New Bern and Greenville, all these little towns are smaller than Kinston. I have heard nothing but good things about Winterville which is located outside of Greenville. So it is probably and someone help me out here about 23 miles maybe from Kinston. Now I like living in Snow Hill but like any other small town it has its disadvantages and the biggest one is that we are all rural and Greene County has no hospital at all although we do have several doctors in the area. We also have no Walmart, no theater, no bowling alley, although they are building a skating boarding park at the moment. So be sure and check out the availability of these smaller towns to other things when you check them out.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,244,690 times
Default Kinston

Bethanytedder, yes Kinston is 25 mi from Winterville. We relocated here 4 yrs ago from Southern NJ. Our subdivision is considered "in the country", which we love. My husband is 2.8 mi from his "city" job in Greenville, and we are 5 mi away from anything else you might want. The schools are very good and in our subdivision we have great neighbors from all over. My best friend was born here and remembers when this was all farms. We go 3 mi to Ayden and pick up the pig for the smoker. Life is really nice in Winterville for us. Snowhill is very nice too, I know why you like it.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 58,619 times
just to let you know Kinston is on the way up. Don't be fooled by the people that call it a toilet! If you move inthe right place and care about the town go to the town board meetings and work on your investment it can only get better!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 13,886 times
Default Best to stay in Ohio

Sounds like would be best to stay in Ohio because you don't really want to move to North Carolina just a warmer Ohio.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 7,612 times
Yes definitely Ayden or Winterville, low crime rates and very good schools and yes near Greenville and Kinston but Greenville is gorgeous and perfect for a family getaway or nice night out on the town. I live in Kinston and I can't stand the crime here and school district although I live in a wonderful part it's still right around the corner because Kinston is small. The galaxy bowling and skating and the water park are just about the ONLY attractions here.bi have a 17 & 9 yr old and they agree.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorebri86 View Post
Yes definitely Ayden or Winterville, low crime rates and very good schools and yes near Greenville and Kinston but Greenville is gorgeous and perfect for a family getaway or nice night out on the town. I live in Kinston and I can't stand the crime here and school district although I live in a wonderful part it's still right around the corner because Kinston is small. The galaxy bowling and skating and the water park are just about the ONLY attractions here.bi have a 17 & 9 yr old and they agree.
Note that the post you responded to is 9 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina