Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,007 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a 23 year old and am from central PA. I have a BS in Elementary and Kindergarten Education from Penn State University. I am looking to move to North Carolina; however, I want to apply for a get a teaching job before I move. I am more focused on getting my career established since they are laying off hundreds of teachers around my hometown, but I would prefer an area where it is more young professionals and there is some sort of night life. Does anyone know of any cities/school districts that need teachers and are hiring? And any good locations in NC to live in? Thanks so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
NC, in general, is cutting teachers.... not adding them.

Some of the others on here might be able to tell you about some rural areas, but I know that here in the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) teachers are in danger of losing their jobs.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
NC, in general, is cutting teachers.... not adding them.

Some of the others on here might be able to tell you about some rural areas, but I know that here in the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) teachers are in danger of losing their jobs.
And guess where all those newly unemployed experienced teachers with NC licensure are going to look for jobs?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssmae02 View Post
Hi! I am a 23 year old and am from central PA. I have a BS in Elementary and Kindergarten Education from Penn State University. I am looking to move to North Carolina; however, I want to apply for a get a teaching job before I move. I am more focused on getting my career established since they are laying off hundreds of teachers around my hometown, but I would prefer an area where it is more young professionals and there is some sort of night life. Does anyone know of any cities/school districts that need teachers and are hiring? And any good locations in NC to live in? Thanks so much for the help!
This might seem odd, but put your application into South Jersey districts. The governor is going after teacher pensions & even though there are going to be a lot of layoffs, an unusually large number of teachers are retiring (If their contracts are up & they stay they will be hit very hard, so they are better off to take a retirement.) It's possible that you might get lucky. Don't be picky about districts. I'm suggesting South Jersey because there are a lot of rural areas & the cost of living is lower than North Jersey. (Pay will be lower, too, but you'd still come out better.) You might also try the northwest part of the state which is also less urban. Just avoid the NY metro.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
NC has several good schoools of education pumping out grads who will be competing for the "desireable" jobs here. With no experience AND being out of state, you'll be near the bottom of the pack. I would suggest finding a job SOMEWHERE and getting a couple of years' experience first, which will look better than showing up with the ink on your diploma still wet.

Also, NC has lots of rural school systems that are not so great and have a hard time attracting teachers. Don't they still have that program where you agree to teach in poor rural schools for a couple of years in exchange for some kind of perks?

The suburban, educated districts such as Wake County and Chapel Hill will have fierce competition unless you have a really rare subject area.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
No vacant chalkboards here...my district is looking at cutting 83 teachers and all assistants above kindergarten

Guliford MAY still have a few openings that are NOT special education...

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Does anyone know if high school math teachers may have any better luck at NC teaching jobs? (My son will be looking for a teaching job next year.)

Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
NC has several good schoools of education pumping out grads who will be competing for the "desireable" jobs here. With no experience AND being out of state, you'll be near the bottom of the pack.
Graduating from an "out of state" college will not put her at a disadvantage. I think it would be illegal say "Oh. You are from the Northeast. We hire only NC residents at this public school" She stands just as much chance as any other new grad, as long as she has good grades and interviews well.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Graduating from an "out of state" college will not put her at a disadvantage. I think it would be illegal say "Oh. You are from the Northeast. We hire only NC residents at this public school" She stands just as much chance as any other new grad, as long as she has good grades and interviews well.
I was talking about the value of networking, recommendations from people the school actually knows, having student-taught in areas whose reputations the school knows, etc. Don't neglect the value of people connections.

In any case, brand new grads with no experience will likely face a tough road right now around here, when experienced teachers are being laid off. Anything that can work in your favor, including knowing someone that the interviewer also knows or being from somewhere the interviewer is familiar with, is always a good thing. Additionally, lots of social studies curricula teach NC history, even in elementary school, so someone who had grown up with that, I suspect, would be a better candidate than someone who just moved here if that kind of thing came up in an interview.

Last edited by Francois; 03-15-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
And guess where all those newly unemployed experienced teachers with NC licensure are going to look for jobs?
Rural NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina