Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Are they otherwise driving recklessly? If they're not, have you considered the possibility that they are capable of talking while driving? It's not like you've never carried on a conversation with passengers inside your car, is it?
Not that it's rock-solid science, but the TV show Mythbusters did a segment demonstrating how distracting cell phone conversations can be, with results that rivaled driving under the influence of alcohol. Speaking to someone on a phone is mentally a much different task than speaking to a passenger beside you (who is part of the same environment and observing and reacting to the same events the driver is).

See: Measured Against Reality: Driving and Talking on a Cell Phone is Dangerous (http://stupac2.blogspot.com/2006/08/driving-and-talking-on-cell-phone-is.html - broken link)
Quote:
A recent University of Toronto study found that drivers talking on cell phones are four to five times as likely to get into accidents, and that hands-free sets do little to decrease these odds. A study from Perth, Australia found the same increase in risk. Another study from the University of Utah also found that hands-free sets do little to offset the chances of an accident. These are just some of the many studies done that all come to the same conclusion, driving while talking is hazardous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Not that it's rock-solid science, but the TV show Mythbusters did a segment demonstrating how distracting cell phone conversations can be, with results that rivaled driving under the influence of alcohol. Speaking to someone on a phone is mentally a much different task than speaking to a passenger beside you (who is part of the same environment and observing and reacting to the same events the driver is).

See: Measured Against Reality: Driving and Talking on a Cell Phone is Dangerous (http://stupac2.blogspot.com/2006/08/driving-and-talking-on-cell-phone-is.html - broken link)
I think it depends on the person, really.

I don't pay that much attention to any conversations I have while the car is moving. If people still wanna talk to me, I let'em.

Then again, I also use the bluetooth in the car, so my hands are free and unencumbered. I liken it to singing along with the radio while thinking about grocery shopping.

Like people don't drive while thinking, yanno?

Besides, Kerry is an airhead even without a cellular phone.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
I personally think that people really shouldn't text while driving unless they're at a stop of some sort.
Nobody should text while driving, PERIOD. If you are in the car and a life-and-death situation comes up, pull over, put the car in Park, and do your texting. "At a stop of some sort" implies that being at a stop sign is an OK place to text, or a stop light. You say you only do it at stoplights when you know the length, but some stoplights have different lengths at different times of day, etc. If you were texting and the light suddenly changed, I doubt you would remain stopped with a line honking behind you--you'd drive forward mid-text. DANGEROUS.
Quote:
[people merging while on the phone] Are they otherwise driving recklessly? If they're not, have you considered the possibility that they are capable of talking while driving?
Some people are "capable" of driving while drunk, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing for most people on a regular basis. And merging into traffic requires a higher level of concentration than simply driving on a straight road at a constant speed. I applaud myNC for "punishing" people in that situation, but unfortunately I doubt they will make the connection.

When my other half calls me and is driving, I ask if it's an emergency and if not, I tell him to call me when he's not behind the wheel, and hang up.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Are they otherwise driving recklessly? If they're not, have you considered the possibility that they are capable of talking while driving? It's not like you've never carried on a conversation with passengers inside your car, is it?

Furthermore, I've got bluetooth in my car, so you'd just think I was talking to myself.... I get to merge, but other people don't?

I don't let people in front of me who are very clearly attempting to pull a fast one (like those fools that fly up through the merge lane going about 80mph, so they can try to merge up at the front and get ahead of all the other traffic).

Other than that, why not let people merge and move along?
Well, we can not assume that everyone is as capable as you are . So, I go by the studies and researches and from my personal experiences. Interestingly, most of the people I have had conversation with think they are not bad at driving while talking on phone.

I am sorry, if I wasn't clear in my first post - I was referring to people holding the phone with one hand while driving with the other. IMO a conversation on a bluetooth is a bad idea. So, imagine talking with the phone in one hand and driving with the other. Talk to any teenager - you would get just one response - they are capable of multi-tasking - but they are not as we all are aware.

Talking on phone is different from talking in the car. You can cut the conversation if you are talking in the car as the other person in the car may stop you from talking or may be watchful and warn you from doing mistakes. But, you just cann't tell the other person and stop the conversation while talking on phone.

It is always safer than sorry. Over confidence may lead to many problems. I know me not giving way may not be understood by many people that I am doing it due to the other person's conversation on phone but by expressing what I do on forums like this many people may get an idea and may become an etiquette of safe driving.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Some people are "capable" of driving while drunk, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing for most people on a regular basis. And merging into traffic requires a higher level of concentration than simply driving on a straight road at a constant speed.
That is a great point. Totally agree

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

Have seen TV shows on how distracted driving could affect one's driving abilities. I could not agree with you & the studies more.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Data shows that over 20% of all teen traffic deaths between the age of 16 and 19 are directly caused by cell phone use. It is becoming a common practice for police investigating serious accidents to require that ALL person involved surrender their cell phones as part of the investigation. If you were on it during the time the accident occurred you best get a lawyer cause you will need one...This is a good thing.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Nobody should text while driving, PERIOD. If you are in the car and a life-and-death situation comes up, pull over, put the car in Park, and do your texting. "At a stop of some sort" implies that being at a stop sign is an OK place to text, or a stop light. You say you only do it at stoplights when you know the length, but some stoplights have different lengths at different times of day, etc. If you were texting and the light suddenly changed, I doubt you would remain stopped with a line honking behind you--you'd drive forward mid-text. DANGEROUS.

Some people are "capable" of driving while drunk, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing for most people on a regular basis. And merging into traffic requires a higher level of concentration than simply driving on a straight road at a constant speed. I applaud myNC for "punishing" people in that situation, but unfortunately I doubt they will make the connection.

When my other half calls me and is driving, I ask if it's an emergency and if not, I tell him to call me when he's not behind the wheel, and hang up.

Um... if the light changes, I just move. The text can wait. I'm not that wrapped up in texting OR phone calls.

That's what I was saying earlier. None of it is particularly important while driving. Driving takes priority, much in the same way that it takes priority if I'm navigating through a drive thru window, or talking to my kids while I'm in the car.

Cars aren't toys, I know that.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
Well, we can not assume that everyone is as capable as you are . So, I go by the studies and researches and from my personal experiences. Interestingly, most of the people I have had conversation with think they are not bad at driving while talking on phone.

I am sorry, if I wasn't clear in my first post - I was referring to people holding the phone with one hand while driving with the other. IMO a conversation on a bluetooth is a bad idea. So, imagine talking with the phone in one hand and driving with the other. Talk to any teenager - you would get just one response - they are capable of multi-tasking - but they are not as we all are aware.

Talking on phone is different from talking in the car. You can cut the conversation if you are talking in the car as the other person in the car may stop you from talking or may be watchful and warn you from doing mistakes. But, you just cann't tell the other person and stop the conversation while talking on phone.

It is always safer than sorry. Over confidence may lead to many problems. I know me not giving way may not be understood by many people that I am doing it due to the other person's conversation on phone but by expressing what I do on forums like this many people may get an idea and may become an etiquette of safe driving.
People cannot say "Hey.. I'm in the car, so if I might need to hang up if the traffic gets worse"???

That's what I do.

I'm not negotiating a hostile takeover of a foreign oil consortium, I'm prolly just doublechecking to see if we need milk at home or something.

Seriously... I think that's why people are such lousy drivers while on the phone... they're talking about crucial, deep stuff. Me, I'm talking about the weather and asking people what time they'll be over for dinner.

It's short, to the point, then I'm done.

As far as texting goes? I didn't mean to imply that I was composing love sonnets at stoplights.

More like...

Light turns red.
Take phone, send text that says "Be there at 6... later"
Drive forward when light turns green.

I dunno how people carry on conversations in the car via text. That's bizarre.

Again, this is one of those "use your brain" things here.

We cannot legislate good sense.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
That is a great point. Totally agree
For the record, I don't drink and drive.

If I do have a drink while out, I'm usually out for a couple hours or longer before I drive anywhere.

And I am talking about A drink, not several.

And they are typically accompanied by a meal.

I know people who will SWEAR they drive better while high. I don't buy that crap either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina