Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 AM

9 posts, read 38,140 times

Advertisements

Transplant here.

It's very hard if your an animal lover here.
Dogs are chained all over the place here.

You will see dogs in "cells" hundreds of feet away from the house.

The worst is that the GAS CHAMBER is still used in many county pounds through the state.

There was just a huge meeting at the AG Dept about the gas chambers, and it doesn't look like they will be getting rid of them soon.

It really is tough if your an animal lover like me.

The hunters will "dump" beagles, hounds at the gassing pounds if the don't hunt.

It's really really backward here.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
If it is that backward and bad here it will take people like you and I and so many others like us to eventually change things. Speak out, get involved. Don't just sit back and let it happen. Be pro-active. If enough noise is made things can change. We can't save the world but we can help to change it!!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,391 times
Forgive me for being ignorant, I'm not a transplant. What is the most humane way to euthanize the thousands of strays that end up in shelters across the state?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoLong View Post
Transplant here.
Transplant here, too.

Quote:
It's very hard if your an animal lover here.
I love animals, I've done great here, in two different cities.

Quote:
Dogs are chained all over the place here.
I haven't seen one yet. My neighbor leashed his dog to the porch for about 20 minutes one day, while he ran inside. I didn't like it, but it's no catastrophe. However, I'm sure this never happens where you're from.

Quote:
You will see dogs in "cells" hundreds of feet away from the house.
I think they refer to those "cells" as "dog pens". Some people do this. As long as the dogs remain active, outside of the pens, I don't see the problem with it. It's no different than someone living in a city, keeping a labrador cooped up in an apartment all day. However, I'm sure this never happens where you're from.

Quote:
The worst is that the GAS CHAMBER is still used in many county pounds through the state.

There was just a huge meeting at the AG Dept about the gas chambers, and it doesn't look like they will be getting rid of them soon.
I'm unfamiliar with this. What is the preferred method of euthanizing dangerous and stray animals where you're from?

Quote:
It really is tough if your an animal lover like me.

The hunters will "dump" beagles, hounds at the gassing pounds if the don't hunt.
Maybe that happens. I've never heard of it, though. Most hunters I know don't even use beagles, but people usually give their dogs away if they don't retrieve or point well.

Quote:
It's really really backward here.
Really? Well, one of these days, when the yankees bequeath to us the gift of fire, we will be able to turn it all around. Until then, we'll just have to make do with our cro-magnon ways.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
The dogs are safer if they are in the dog runs...as long as they still get that much needed attention. I can't see where any place differs there except as the above poster noted if they are kept inside a home or apartment. I have noticed more dogs in dog runs here but at least they are safe. As far as how other states put an animal down...many other states put animals to sleep with shots. The "gas" method was voted out quite a while ago. Often times the gas method is very inhumane. A slow death. Not all of the animals die instantly. Therefore the shot became the method of euthanizing animals. Many of these animals that are "put down" are not dangerous, horrible animals. They are just the unfortunate ones! As far as the hunting dogs...well I have heard horror stories but I keep hoping that is just what it is..stories!! As far as the "backward" part...every place is different. No one can say anyone is backward..maybe they do things different. And no one can love animals more then I do.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM

So I'm asking, what's the "issue" here?

Is the issue that North Carolina uses the gas chamber?

Or is the issue that North Carolinians are all a bunch of animal abusers, and are all very backwards, based on a handful of anecdotal and unverifiable stories?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM

40 posts, read 182,372 times
well anonymous are you feeling overly self defensive today? I think the poster was just getting a piont across not to be taken personally, just on the whole of what was observed. Really, ppl need not too take everything so seriously.
I am also one who is upset at the gassing of animals. In FL it is unheard of and when I came here it is like going back 30 years (that can be good in alot of ways) but not for animals. What can we do ?? A petition? A call to the senator? I wish there was something that could be done....I know spay and neuter. Really though I would like to help on that issue.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabhappy View Post
well anonymous are you feeling overly self defensive today?
Just feeling opinionated, that's all.

I'm willing to accept that gas chambers are inhumane, but I don't know much about them. What problems do they have?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM

336 posts, read 716,264 times
Imagine being suffocated and it taking a very long time...that's probably a good metaphor. The shot is instant...they give the shot and the animal dies. End of suffering. The gas chamber is extremely inhumane.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM

98 posts, read 454,064 times
Here is a website, North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare:
North Carolina Voters for Animal Welfare (http://www.ncvaw.org/ACTION%20ALERTS.htm - broken link)

Public hearings are currently taking place on this very topic and there are indeed ways you can get active if this is a concern for you! Just Google NC Gas Chamber Euthanasia and you'll be amazed by the results.

Gas chambers are widely accepted as inhumane in this day & age because it can often take 25 minutes for an animal to be killed. Multiple animals are often put together in one large, dark, hot box. They are confused, disoriented, and may start fighting. Some animals have survived the gas and have to be "re-done". They are illegal in 13 states, with LOTS of legislation pending on more states. This process is still used for the simple reason that it's cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina