U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,012 times

Advertisements

I walk for my Masters in April. I am ready to move out of Michigan. I have been applying for jobs since last month to no avail. Any advice? ALSO, so that I can narrow my search, what are the nice areas of NC. I know people have their own definitions of nice, so just throw out some opinions. I have no family in NC, so I am not limited to a certain area. I don't mind having to make the commute into a major city, but I would like to drive no more than 30 mins to find a place hang out. I am 24/Single/F.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 60,772,071 times
mod note

thread relocated from Charlotte forum

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM

110 posts, read 292,560 times
My girlfriend was looking for generalist position in Charlotte, only for a week, but zero call backs. Please let me know how you do.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 AM

4,329 posts, read 8,188,007 times
"Nice" is where you get a job. The more information you give, the more people can help you.

Do you want to live near the beach? The mountains? Neither?
Do you want to live where the summers are hot? Extremely hot? Or unbearably hot?
Where the winters bring no snow? Little snow? Much snow?

Do you want to leave MI because of the economy or the weather, or for some other reason? If you don't mind the snow, ND has more job opportunities (as does SD). What kind of work are you looking for? Are you only looking in NC?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,461,156 times
Going to be a Debbie Downer here, but this is reality.

My brother received his Masters last May - he and I are both from MI, he graduated from MSU's James Madison with honors and then received his Masters with honors from George Washington in DC. He is very qualified all around. He applied for many, many, MANY positions each month. He didn't get his first job offer until this past Dec, and lets just say the starting pay was an insult. His twin brother has similar credentials coming out of Univ of Chicago. After a series of temp jobs and layoffs, twin has just enlisted to the Navy. Granted, their studies are different from yours, but fact still remains .. You've only been applying for a month with about minimal "real world" experience on your resume. Don't expect too many bites.

The problem with applying for jobs in a states with a high unemployment rate -- MI, OH, NC, etc -- is that you are competing against many experienced, above entry level resumes.

If you're ready to leave MI, you need to go after the job. Any job is a job, and starting a job in your profession is better than sitting back and waiting for the perfect job. You're going to create a better resume the sooner you're out working in the real world after graduation than you will by waiting for the job you want to come along. Your best bet is to find a position that meets your qualifications and go after it whether it is in ND, SD, MI, OH, IN, TX, MS, CA, etc. Get your feet wet and have some real world experience. Then, you can set your sites a little higher going after a job in your 'preferred' location be it NC or anywhere else.

As a fresh graduate, your priority is finding work. Finding a place to live comes next.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:04 PM

34,799 posts, read 31,737,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Going to be a Debbie Downer here, but this is reality.

My brother received his Masters last May - he and I are both from MI, he graduated from MSU's James Madison with honors and then received his Masters with honors from George Washington in DC. He is very qualified all around. He applied for many, many, MANY positions each month. He didn't get his first job offer until this past Dec, and lets just say the starting pay was an insult. His twin brother has similar credentials coming out of Univ of Chicago. After a series of temp jobs and layoffs, twin has just enlisted to the Navy. Granted, their studies are different from yours, but fact still remains .. You've only been applying for a month with about minimal "real world" experience on your resume. Don't expect too many bites.

The problem with applying for jobs in a states with a high unemployment rate -- MI, OH, NC, etc -- is that you are competing against many experienced, above entry level resumes.

If you're ready to leave MI, you need to go after the job. Any job is a job, and starting a job in your profession is better than sitting back and waiting for the perfect job. You're going to create a better resume the sooner you're out working in the real world after graduation than you will by waiting for the job you want to come along. Your best bet is to find a position that meets your qualifications and go after it whether it is in ND, SD, MI, OH, IN, TX, MS, CA, etc. Get your feet wet and have some real world experience. Then, you can set your sites a little higher going after a job in your 'preferred' location be it NC or anywhere else.

As a fresh graduate, your priority is finding work. Finding a place to live comes next.

Absolutely agree!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM

10,522 posts, read 20,599,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingtome View Post
I walk for my Masters in April. I am ready to move out of Michigan. I have been applying for jobs since last month to no avail. Any advice? ALSO, so that I can narrow my search, what are the nice areas of NC. I know people have their own definitions of nice, so just throw out some opinions. I have no family in NC, so I am not limited to a certain area. I don't mind having to make the commute into a major city, but I would like to drive no more than 30 mins to find a place hang out. I am 24/Single/F.
If you are "not limited to a certain area", then why you are limiting yourself to NC?

In other words, tell us what specifically attracts you to this state and people can be more helpful in suggesting things. You really give no clues at all other than "no more than 30 mins for a place to hang out".

Do you want rural, urban, or suburban? Near mountains or near beach? Liberal or conservative? Bustling or quiet? Large or small accomodations? The state is large and diverse.

Also, with no experience, it will be very hard to break into HR right now in NC, whose unemployment is 10th in the US (not as bad as MI of course)--but you might consider going to a state with and easier job market, and then transferring here when you're more marketable. "Fresh out of college" grads are the proverbial "dime a dozen" here, with NC having so many good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina