Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

Am I missing an inside joke or something.

Alot of people from north carolina seem to be using the word "bruh," and laughing about it. I must be missing something. Just curious if anyone on this forums heard of the word before and if there's some sort of inside joke to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
So yo, where you from, Homey?

If you're not from NC I think you'll run into a lot of words that may not currently be in your vocabulary. Words like:

ain't -- no, not the contraction, but the sister of your parents
fixin' to -- planning, getting ready, or contemplating, as in I'm fixin' to whomp you on the haid.
sump'neruther -- uncertainty. It looked like a bobcat or sump'neruther like that.

As for the word bruh, I've never seen it spelled like that but I would guess it's the same as bro or bra--just a form of the word brother. It's a term of endearment, so you can probably relax.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
bro, bra, bruh, bress, bo, etc., all slang forms of brother.

bruh sounds black. or something that preppy white kids would say to try and sound black, and then laugh about it.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
bless your heart................

Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I've lived here my whole live (pushing 50 years) and have only occasioanlly heard this word. It's not exactly an NC "staple". I think I've heard it more on TV than locally. I believe it's slang for "brother", or "buddy". But it's definitely not something everyone in NC says.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I've lived here my whole live (pushing 50 years) and have only occasioanlly heard this word. It's not exactly an NC "staple". I think I've heard it more on TV than locally. I believe it's slang for "brother", or "buddy". But it's definitely not something everyone in NC says.
Agreed. I think "cuz" is used more in NC.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
bro, bra, bruh, bress, bo, etc., all slang forms of brother.

bruh sounds black. or something that preppy white kids would say to try and sound black, and then laugh about it.

Thats what confused me. I've seen white people use the word but then laugh about it.

I was like it must be a joke or something.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Thats what confused me. I've seen white people use the word but then laugh about it.

I was like it must be a joke or something.

A lot of black teenagers now use the word "Bruh" instead of Dog/Dawg.

Dog/Dawg was 90's/early 2000's. "Bruh" is the new word for the 2010's. My friend says the word "bruh" to refer to gangster looking people. and Gangster looking people usually say "Bruh" to other gangster looking people.

Example "Ey, Bruh, sup?" | "wah-dup, bruh" (Wah-dup = Whats up)

I know some people refer to white ladies liking black dudes as "bruh-lovers"

I don't think it's a North Carolina thing. I bet you'd find a lot of people out in LA, ATL, etc. using the word "Bruh" also. In other words, without trying to step on any toes in a society that is very politically correct, I think it the usage of "bruh" has more to do with race than geographical locations. But I dunno, just a personal observation.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I don't think it's a North Carolina thing. I bet you'd find a lot of people out in LA, ATL, etc. using the word "Bruh" also. In other words, without trying to step on any toes in a society that is very politically correct, I think it the usage of "bruh" has more to do with race than geographical locations. But I dunno, just a personal observation.
also, like most slang, it is era-dependent, meaning the words people use for slang now are different (as GCG mentions) than in earlier decades. Different slang may "take hold" in different areas at different times. So often, someone moves to a new place and hears a word that is "new" and associates it with geography when in fact it is more properly associated with the year. (I can't say for sure if this is the case here, just that I agree that it's not really an NC thing...at least not white NC).

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
You're in Connecticut, correct? Why not ask those you've heard say 'Bruh' why they are laughing.

I suspect that you already know these: Urban Dictionary Bruh definitions.

Quote:
Just curious if anyone on this forums heard of the word before
Yes but not very often.

Quote:
and if there's some sort of inside joke to it.
Not that I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina