U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,977,370 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if some N. Carolinians (Carolingians?) can give me some understanding of whether or not N. Carolina would be for me, or whether I should just keep looking.

Here are some issues. Please excuse my incredible ignorance in advance:

1. I'm basically a Yankee. I was born in the Southwest and lived in a large Midwestern city for a long time, but I understand that if you're not from the South, you're a Yankee. Would this be a problem?

2. How's homeschooling? Restrictively awful, or laissez-faire?

3. I don't care at all about professional sports. Really, not at all.

4. I don't care about belonging to sororities, Junior League, or any groups of that nature.

5. How liberal/conservative is it politically?

6. How fundamentalist/conservative Christian is it?

7. How much sun do you folks get?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 02:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,052,840 times
1. I personally don't consider anyone a Yankee who's from the southwest. But being a Yankee isn't a bad thing anyway. It's all about your own personal attitude and friendliness.

2. It's popular. Don't know much more than that about it.

3. I don't see how that would be a big deal. You might get some good-natured ribbing.

4. Not a big deal at all. I don't know anyone who's into those things.

5. Mostly conservative, but there are some liberal cities.

6. Very, but not "in your face".

7. I don't know the statistics, but we get plenty of sun in "Sunny NC".

Old 07-28-2007, 03:02 AM

5,661 posts, read 25,670,621 times
The average annual percent of possible sunshine ranges between 58 to 65 percent.

Climate of North Carolina
National Climatic Data Center

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf

Old 07-28-2007, 05:37 AM

1,428 posts, read 2,977,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The average annual percent of possible sunshine ranges between 58 to 65 percent.

Climate of North Carolina
National Climatic Data Center

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenorm...Clim_NC_01.pdf
Thank you for that info!

Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 AM

331 posts, read 1,073,698 times
[quote=Charles Wallace;1157129]1. I'm basically a Yankee. I was born in the Southwest and lived in a large Midwestern city for a long time, but I understand that if you're not from the South, you're a Yankee. Would this be a problem?[quote]

You probably shouldn't introduce yourself to folks by saying "I'm a Yankee." You'd just be setting yourself up for failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
2. How's homeschooling? Restrictively awful, or laissez-faire?
Most homeschoolers I know are very religiously conservative. If that's your bag then you should have no problem finding home school groups so that your kids can get some social interaction. You will, however, be in the minority so don't be surprised if the public school kids in the neighborhood aren't knocking down your door to come over and play with your children.

Quote:
3. I don't care at all about professional sports. Really, not at all.
Charles? You're a man, right? Do you at least follow college sports?

Actually, a recently hired co-worker or mine doesn't like sports at all. Making small talk with him was a little awkward at first but since we are forced to interact I got to know him and we are friendly. If I met him in a social rather than a work setting I'm not sure whether I would have continued our initial conversation.

Quote:
4. I don't care about belonging to sororities, Junior League, or any groups of that nature.
Quote:
5. How liberal/conservative is it politically?
Depends on where you live but NC is mostly conservative. Even the most "liberal" NC towns like Carrboro and Asheville are only liberal in relation to the reat of NC. On a national scale those towns are probably middle of the road or left leaning.

Quote:
6. How fundamentalist/conservative Christian is it?
See above.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,062 times
Default Schooling?

How is Home Schooling compared to Public Schooling in NC? What about Virtual Charter Schools? Why aren't there any?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM

60 posts, read 187,119 times
Sunshine is overrated!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:41 PM

3,108 posts, read 8,669,121 times
Quote:
1. I'm basically a Yankee. I was born in the Southwest and lived in a large Midwestern city for a long time, but I understand that if you're not from the South, you're a Yankee. Would this be a problem?
You will be fine as long as you remember one basic fact:
NC is NOT the state you left behind. LOTS of people moving in expect to find the same things they left behind in NY, NJ, MI, CA, ect and NC is NC.

Do not expect to find NY pizza or Chicago Pizza but we have some of the best BBQ around.

We don't have many Trader Joe's (altho they are slowly getting here ) but we do have our own grocery stores.

We don't have Pączki's like they do in MI (I will miss those greatly) but we do have Krispy Kremes.

There are trade off's everywhere and as long as you remember that your new home isn't the same as your old one and there were reasons for moving from your old one, we all get along fine.

Just be friendly, wave when waved at...even wave at others when you see them and they haven't waved at you yet.

Quote:
True Southerners

1.) Only a true Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption, and that you don't "HAVE" them, -- you "PITCH" them.

2.) Only a true Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc. make up "a mess."

3.) Only a true Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

4.) Only a true Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is - as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

5.) All true Southerners, even babies, know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl on the middle of the table.

6.) All true Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

7.) Only a true Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. (If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!)

8.) Only true Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

9.) Only a true Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.

10.) No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

11.) A true Southerner knows that "fixin'" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

12.) Only a true Southerner knows that the term "booger" can be a resident of the nose, a descriptive, as in "that ol' booger," a first name or something that jumps out at you in the dark and scares you senseless.

13.) Only true Southerners make friends while standing in lines. We don't do "queues", we do "lines," and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody!

14.) Put 100 true Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

15.) True Southerners never refer to one person as "y'all."

16.) True Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

17.) Every true Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that redeye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

18.) When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin' .. ," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

19.) Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it - we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

20.) A true Southerner knows that if you are with a couple of friends you, you could be with 2 or 10. The number doesn't matter.

21.) And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.
Pay particular attention to # 13. Liz

Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 PM

14 posts, read 70,918 times
Keep lookin'

Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 187,570 times
Very Christian area, and very southern. Inside of the cities of Raleigh and Charlotte, and even Winston Salem and Greensboro, there are tons of transplant yanks though. You will fit in just fine in the larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina