Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

41 posts, read 212,216 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are semi-retired couple, plan to move to NC in June from new york city, we like to find a place that's safe, quiet, nice, yet close to shops, restaurants etc. (no need to consider school or work), So far we find Cary and Kannapolise seems to be low crime and nice, but we have no idea what they are really like, and no clue what neighborhood to avoid.

Could you kind souls out there recommend town/neighborhood/apartments? We are totally open to anything, any input will be appreciated, we will be renting 1-bedroom, rent about $600-$800 (we can go 900 only if it's exceptionally good).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by ns66; 04-05-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

563 posts, read 955,043 times
You realize that Kannapolis is no where near Cary, correct?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 PM

yes, we can settle anywhere in NC

Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
There is no such thing as "the best neighborhood" in any city. Cary in particular is known for lots of neighborhoods--but I'm very surprised you're considering moving there if you admit knowing nothing about it except that it has low crime?? You may want to research many places and learn more about them than the crime rates. You seem to have decided on NC without really knowing anything at all about the state? What if somewhere in another state fits your needs better?

Here is City-Data's links to a lot of cities and large towns in NC, with lots of info on each one, including Cary and Kannapolis. You also can use the search function to look up answers to questions that have been asked before, and asking about neighborhoods is a very common one.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM

I did do the research, and actually built a database about it, the thing is I prefer to live in a town with at least 50k people, being from nyc I am really not used to tiny towns with too low population, with that and low crime not too expensive criteria, all i have got is kannapolis or cary, if you know other towns that fits please let me know by all means.

thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
Since the OP is looking at two towns in different geographic areas of the state, I'm moving this from the Triangle forum hoping for a better response.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
Hi, we are semi-retired couple, plan to move to NC in June from new york city, we like to find a place that's safe, quiet, nice, yet close to shops, restaurants etc. (no need to consider school or work), So far we find Cary and Kannapolise seems to be low crime and nice, but we have no idea what they are really like, and no clue what neighborhood to avoid.

Could you kind souls out there recommend town/neighborhood/apartments? We are totally open to anything, any input will be appreciated, we will be renting 1-bedroom, rent about $600-$800 (we can go 900 only if it's exceptionally good).

Thanks a lot!

Well, Cary is more upscale, or at least upper middle class, for the most part and kind of expensive for housing. Don't think you'd find an apt in your price range.

Kannapolis is pretty blue collar and low key. However, you might like it in areas where it borders Concord. Look up The Grand in Kannapolis. They have a one bedroom in your price range, are only a year old, and are in a nice safe area.

In addition, you should add the older part of Mooresville to your research. (As opposed to the west side of Mooresville with its mansions on the lake). You might be able to get an older smaller home there in your price range.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
I did do the research, and actually built a database about it, the thing is I prefer to live in a town with at least 50k people, being from nyc I am really not used to tiny towns with too low population, with that and low crime not too expensive criteria, all i have got is kannapolis or cary, if you know other towns that fits please let me know by all means.
Curious why you have narrowed it to only NC, to get to these two towns? Have you ever visited here or have any connection? Obviously, one should visit anywhere before seriously considering moving there, no matter how many people tell you about it.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, Cary is more upscale, or at least upper middle class, for the most part and kind of expensive for housing. Don't think you'd find an apt in your price range.

Kannapolis is pretty blue collar and low key. However, you might like it in areas where it borders Concord. Look up The Grand in Kannapolis. They have a one bedroom in your price range, are only a year old, and are in a nice safe area.

In addition, you should add the older part of Mooresville to your research. (As opposed to the west side of Mooresville with its mansions on the lake). You might be able to get an older smaller home there in your price range.
I did call them they only got 1 vacancy for 1-bedroom which is not a good fit.
how is preston west of cary? safe? any place to avoid in cary?

Last edited by ns66; 04-05-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Curious why you have narrowed it to only NC, to get to these two towns? Have you ever visited here or have any connection? Obviously, one should visit anywhere before seriously considering moving there, no matter how many people tell you about it.
we pick NC mostly because of weather, mild, not too humid, more sunshine compared to neighbor states (although not as much as say utah but we plan to stay in east for a while), and lower crime than say FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina