Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM

19 posts, read 184,301 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to NC and looking at Raleigh, Charlotte, Jacksonville and many other locations. I have a cousin in Richlands near Jacksonville. I believe it is very nice there from what he says. Although it sounds tempting, we would probably opt to live near a big city for jobs etc. We want to avoid high property taxes and have a more affordable cost of living, around the US norm. I guess we are also used to a diverse range of shopping and other amenities that bigger cities have. We currently live in north-east central Phoenix, AZ. 1950's brick built ranch, 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath - very nice neighborhood. Sidewalks and street lighting, everything within a mile of the house. 5 miles from downtown Phoenix or downtown Scottsdale. We would like to find similar in NC.
Also, the further north in NC - is the weather colder in winter, more cloudy days, etc?
I'd be grateful for feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM View Post
We are considering a move to NC and looking at Raleigh, Charlotte, Jacksonville and many other locations. I have a cousin in Richlands near Jacksonville. I believe it is very nice there from what he says. Although it sounds tempting, we would probably opt to live near a big city for jobs etc. We want to avoid high property taxes and have a more affordable cost of living, around the US norm. I guess we are also used to a diverse range of shopping and other amenities that bigger cities have. We currently live in north-east central Phoenix, AZ. 1950's brick built ranch, 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath - very nice neighborhood. Sidewalks and street lighting, everything within a mile of the house. 5 miles from downtown Phoenix or downtown Scottsdale. We would like to find similar in NC.
Also, the further north in NC - is the weather colder in winter, more cloudy days, etc?

Charlotte actually sounds like the best match for what you are looking for.

However, the reality is you should go wherever you are lucky enough to find a job - which can be very difficult in NC right now

Old 04-09-2011, 12:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
The very best place to move in NC is the one where you found a job. Don't move here without one unless you've got enough money to retire already.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Thanks lovesMountains. Forgetting jobs for a moment, what would mean the difference between Charlotte, Raleigh and Jacksonville for us?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm not retiring for another 15 years at least - most like. I am a home health care nurse and would seek to do this in NC.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks lovesMountains. Forgetting jobs for a moment, what would mean the difference between Charlotte, Raleigh and Jacksonville for us?
Home prices in Charlotte are slightly more affordable than Raleigh. Jacksonville is pretty military, which can mean a transiant population. But its proximity to the beach is certainly better than Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
I'm not retiring for another 15 years at least - most like. I am a home health care nurse and would seek to do this in NC.
Jacksonville is probably the most affordable.

Charlotte and Raleigh are more expensive.

That said, if you want to live out in the country, you could probably do that on the cheap.

Again, please don't move here without a job. It's a horrible idea.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:

What is your home in AZ realistically worth, fair market value? You don't say how much land you have in AZ? You are probably looking at $225,000 range, plus or minus depending on the three L's. Location location location. Around any of the larger cities. You may get more sq. ftg. for that price though, crawl spaces, few have basements here unless on sloping land. I think that the City Data data give you more info on the weather. Or search the name of towns on www.noaa.gove for weather history. Check www.realtor.com and enter your criteria for samples of home prices in a given zip code.

The big requirement is a J.O.B. First.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Charlotte is the closest to Phoenix, but not quite on that level. Phoenix is the 6th most popu;ated city, Charlotte the 17th. It will be the most expensive of your choices, though I don't klnow how that expense compares to AZ. Charlotte is either the most expensive o 2nd most expensive city in NC (I forgot if it or Asheville is number 1, Wilmington is number 3).

The thing that I always loved about Raleigh (though it's fast changing), is that it is a City with a small town feel. There's a thread on the Raleigh/Triangle sub-forum right now specifically talking about 1960's ranch homes.

Jaksonville, catering to over 100K Marines w/. nothing but disposable income (as basic necessities are provided) has every big box store(Best Buys Targets, B& N and the like) and chain restaurants you can think of. Thiough unique shopping experiences are more limited. It does have a good spread of local restaurants, due to the diverse population of the area due to the military. Still not as much as Raleigh or Charlotte due to sheer size difference. Depending on where you live in the area you won't be too far from Wilmington and it's offerings. Jacksonville and it's surrounding areas are definitely the cheapest f the three and some of the cheapest on the NC Coast, which tends to be more expensive in NC. The Marine Corps, this is largely due to the fact that the Marine Corps owns the beach in Jacksonville which means you have to travel to Emerald ISle or Sneaks Ferry for unfettered beach access. Up to the 90s Onslow Beach was open to civilians, but I think that may have changed since September 11th.

As far as home health care. I don't imagine it'd e much of an issue finding a job in that field in Raleigh or Charlotte. I know the industry is strong around Jacksonville and up and down the coast as NC coastal cities and towns are popular retirement destinations. Though, finding a job may not be an issue, wages can be, tough. alot of in-home health care is done by CNA's which doesn't even require an associates, just a certification. Average pay, from what I've seen is 8-11/Hr. If you don't have a degree, I'd advise getting one in the mean time. Even if it's not in nursing. My mother is a qualified health care professional, her degree is human resources I believe. Which she attained much later in life and online from University of Phoenix at that. Much of the higher paying jobs in the areas you're looking at, Eastern NC especially. Require education or advanced vocational skills. Also on Jobs, in general, Charlotte and Raleigh have high competition for a limited number of jobs. Though the situation is not as bad as other places, especially in Raleigh's case. In Eastern NC the problem is that there are not enough people around that are qualified for the jobs. This results in a lot of people coming here from out of the area to work in the few cities along the coast (Greenville, New Bern, Jacksonville, Wilson, Wilmington).

Old 04-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Charlotte is the closest to Phoenix, but not quite on that level. Phoenix is the 6th most popu;ated city, Charlotte the 17th. It will be the most expensive of your choices, though I don't klnow how that expense compares to AZ. Charlotte is either the most expensive o 2nd most expensive city in NC (I forgot if it or Asheville is number 1, Wilmington is number 3).

Actually, I've got to disagree with you about costs of houses - Raleigh has long had higher housing prices than Charlotte

Median home price in Raleigh - $240,000
Median home price in Charlotte - $169,000

http://www.altosresearch.com/researc...-estate-market

http://www.altosresearch.com/researc...-estate-market

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina