U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:10 PM

319 posts, read 443,113 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Charlotte. What are some other areas where New York X-pats live?

Is the Asheville area a hot spot? Any others in WNC?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 PM

105 posts, read 375,389 times
Most live in Raleigh or Charlotte metros, especially Cary, NC - "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." Both of those metros are pretty much transplants from all over, California, Florida, Southeast, Midwest, Northeast - especially New York and New Jersey.
There may be a lot in some of the other areas, I'm really not that sure.

Not sure about Asheville, but it's probably not as 'northern' as Raleigh and Charlotte, but there are probably some there.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM

939 posts, read 2,482,242 times
I've lived in Asheville for five years now. Can't say there are a lot of NYers around here...maybe retirees, don't hang with them, but this isn't a great place to make a decent living, so most working age people I would guess would have relocated elsewhere in the state.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,936,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I've lived in Asheville for five years now. Can't say there are a lot of NYers around here...maybe retirees, don't hang with them, but this isn't a great place to make a decent living, so most working age people I would guess would have relocated elsewhere in the state.
I haven't noticed any concentration of New Yorkers in the Hendersonville area either. I guess our area is considered too primitive by NY standards. Lots of halfbacks and snowbirds from Florida though.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM

5,480 posts, read 5,888,513 times
Default Where are the New Yorkers

There have been an influx of NY and NJ in Greenville.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM

573 posts, read 2,342,341 times
halfbacks = former NYers
snowbirds = former NYers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Lots of halfbacks and snowbirds from Florida though.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM

72 posts, read 302,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Yeah, I've heard a lot about Charlotte. What are some other areas where New York X-pats live?

Is the Asheville area a hot spot? Any others in WNC?

Thanks.
I'm from Bay Ridge.

There are a ton of us people from NY & NJ in the Winston Salem area.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM

577 posts, read 1,822,877 times
One more time here,why would you want to move around the very people you are running from? You move to NC to be around Tar heels If you want New Yorkers move to New York. Yes people from all over the country move here to be around Nc People The NE presence is still a minority about 18% of population,(based on last censes) and has slowed recently as well,(housing bubble bursting) please come here for the right reasons not to follow a pack of displaced transplants moving based on heresay of NC being the land of OZ.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,649,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
One more time here,why would you want to move around the very people you are running from? You move to NC to be around Tar heels If you want New Yorkers move to New York. Yes people from all over the country move here to be around Nc People The NE presence is still a minority about 18% of population,(based on last censes) and has slowed recently as well,(housing bubble bursting) please come here for the right reasons not to follow a pack of displaced transplants moving based on heresay of NC being the land of OZ.
Most people I know have to consider their employment options... if they are in IT or other white collar corporate work they are going to cluster within a commutable distance from job centers- if jobs was not such a huge factor there would be more families from NY Ct, MA & NJ near Wilmington, b/c we are not used to being so far from the coast.
And, when you think of it, it is because of the economy here that we come at all as opposed to, say, Kentucky or W Virginia or Idaho....

Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,352,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Most people I know have to consider their employment options... if they are in IT or other white collar corporate work they are going to cluster within a commutable distance from job centers- if jobs was not such a huge factor there would be more families from NY Ct, MA & NJ near Wilmington, b/c we are not used to being so far from the coast.
And, when you think of it, it is because of the economy here that we come at all as opposed to, say, Kentucky or W Virginia or Idaho....
As that is true.
But I think what NC man is saying is not to come here because so and so came here and it is the trendy thing to do at the moment. Which is still a very huge problem for NC state.

But, the original poster was very specific with looking for areas with New Yorkers in their post. That we cannot deny.

My question is what happened to the OP??? So all this might be in vain anyway,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>