Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times

Advertisements

I have never heard this, but I've always financed through a bank. Is it different through a dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,321 times
In NC, the financing institution is the lienholder and the purchaser (speaking specifically about a purchase, not the lessee on a lease) is the owner. And it doesn't matter if it was purchased from a dealership or not - they use BOTH manufacturer financial companies (i.e. Ford Credit) as well as third party banks (BOA, etc). Just got my title today and I'm the owner on mine - no dealership, no bank, just me. The bank was listed as the lienholder, and the lien release was signed by the bank. And you don't have to request a new title either - once the lien release is signed on the title, that is sufficient - however, you MAY request one with the lienholder and release removed altogether if you prefer, in which case the $15 fee applies. Regarding taxes, if the previous posts were correct (the dealer or bank 'owns' the vehicle on the title), then no sales tax would have been collected up front, as they would have been a re-seller and, therefore, tax exempt. But, as we all know, we pay the 3% up front because we are the owner up front. Fear not, concerned ones, you will only be required to pay a sales tax when you buy the vehicle - not when the lien is released. I'm snickering thinking about it. . . .

Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,612 times
Default after paying off auto, take title to dmv vehicle & license plate renewal office

Just did this yesterday, 7/23/2014. After you pay off your car, take the title that you got from the bank to a NCDMV Vehicle and License Plate Renewal agency. You give them the title, show your driver's license, sign a document, and pay them $15. They will mail you a new title, in your name only, within a couple of weeks.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
.....This does not make sense and when something does not make sense that means it is probably not true.....
Are you new to the country?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,429 times
LOL, you guys are quite funny with all the stuff you come up with.

I paid off my SUV, then contacted the bank who I had the loan with, gave them my address and they
mailed me the Lien Release.
I then emailed my DMV office to ask how I can get the title.
She emailed me back that I should email her the Lien Release. She mailed
to me the title with my name on it and 2 days later I received it.
All for free!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:20 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
LOL, you guys are quite funny with all the stuff you come up with.

I paid off my SUV, then contacted the bank who I had the loan with, gave them my address and they
mailed me the Lien Release.
I then emailed my DMV office to ask how I can get the title.
She emailed me back that I should email her the Lien Release. She mailed
to me the title with my name on it and 2 days later I received it.
All for free!
There's a good amount of wrong info in this 6year old thread no doubt (tmasek73 is the only one correct), but what works in one state doesn't work in other states. You being in Kansas and giving advice based on what you can do there means a hill of beans for people in NC.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 PM

19,434 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There's a good amount of wrong info in this 6year old thread no doubt (tmasek73 is the only one correct), but what works in one state doesn't work in other states. You being in Kansas and giving advice based on what you can do there means a hill of beans for people in NC.
Yes. One correction though. The fee is now $20.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
I called the DMV on this one...
If you have the title and the lien holder has signed... technically that is all you need.

The reason people get a "free and clear" title is in case they lose the actual piece of paper that the lien holder signed saying you've paid off the loan. If you lose that paper and go to sell the car, then the NC DMV system will still show that there's a lien on the car... so you have to track down the lienholder and get them to agree that you paid it. If you are good about keeping your paperwork in order, then you don't NEED to get a free and clear title.

As of now (Nov 20, 2020) the fee to do this at the DMV is $21.50.
You can do this IN Person at the DMV or you can mail it in after you fill out the FORM MVR-8 (Application for removal of lien from the certificate of title). Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:23 AM

773 posts, read 645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosnj View Post
I called the DMV on this one...
If you have the title and the lien holder has signed... technically that is all you need.

The reason people get a "free and clear" title is in case they lose the actual piece of paper that the lien holder signed saying you've paid off the loan. If you lose that paper and go to sell the car, then the NC DMV system will still show that there's a lien on the car... so you have to track down the lienholder and get them to agree that you paid it. If you are good about keeping your paperwork in order, then you don't NEED to get a free and clear title.

As of now (Nov 20, 2020) the fee to do this at the DMV is $21.50.
You can do this IN Person at the DMV or you can mail it in after you fill out the FORM MVR-8 (Application for removal of lien from the certificate of title). Hope this helps.
You do realize the original post was from 2011?

Old 12-12-2020, 05:26 PM

56 posts, read 55,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
You do realize the original post was from 2011?
Necro thread or not, the info can still help anyone in the future that might need help with these questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina