Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times

Advertisements

Wow, After reading this thread it has me thinking about relocating to the area; I never realized there was so much crime in the area. Since Pinehurst is so close, how bad is crime there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Wow, After reading this thread it has me thinking about relocating to the area; I never realized there was so much crime in the area. Since Pinehurst is so close, how bad is crime there?
Pinehurst doesn't have the shopping areas, gas stations,convenience stores that Southern Pines has. Those places are prime targets for thieves and robbers.
I do find it kind of disturbing that some robberies are taking place during the daytime in Southern Pines in the old shopping district. I guess it's a sign of the times, lots of unemployment and easy access to guns for stickups.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Get the hell out of town with this bogus thread! I'm literally lol'ing and smh'ing at the same time...

Crime is subjective through the lens you view it through. Maybe its because I am from Fayetteville (formerly), but I doubt that is a factor. Do not buy into the hype that there is a lot of crime in Moore County...

I used to frequent both Southern Pines and Pinehurst. There is some beautiful women there, and I was pleasantly surprised. And these are beautiful towns in a beautiful county....the biggest crime issue in Moore County is the drug flow. There is a lot of drug traffic and drug busts for such a rural area, not to mention that it is a majority white county with a relatively low poverty rate. But you have to look at the drug prooblem in context, and maybe one isnt able to do that if you dont understand the business of drugs....

There is a LOT of wealthy people in Moore County, and it goes without saying that a segment of this demographic are closet addicts. Anybody familiar with the Hardy wrestling family knows of the drug issues with one of the brothers (I dont remember which one). I'm using him as an example of someone who isnt considered "poor" or low-income....so you have the demand from middle/upper class druggies, not to mention the drug influence that comes with any low-income demographic in America. Drug dealing is a big business in Moore, and it is a problem. But virtually all of the major traffickers are Latinos from out of town....

Besides that, I vehemently debunk the talk of violent crime in Moore in this thread. People are naming incidents that are only newsworthy for the fact that they arent a normal occurence in Moore! So when they do happen, it is a big deal....the violence that is associated with the drug trade in cities like Fayetteville and bigger cities across America doesnt exist in Moore. Again, when a shooting/robbery whatever does occur, it is rare. There is no gangbanging culture, there arent any drug crews, robbery crews, just a select random individuals who partake in these activities. Property crime is an issue, but that is a statewide problem, and Moore doesnt rank in the top tier of the state in this category either. Burglaries/break-ins/vandalism can generally be attributed to children or addicts, as they are in many other places. But nowhere in Moore County are you in jeapordy of someone just running into your house or car because you leave a door unlocked. Nowhere in Moore County has a reputation for high gun violence. This thread is bogus....

Nobody considering moving to Moore has to worry about crime being a "problem" or "high". Again I say, someone who is born and/or raised in Moore, or an area with similar crime statistics, wouldnt know the difference between an area with high crime or low crime, because they've never been in an area where crime was truly a problem or daily occurence. So the crime you witness, no matter how little it actually happens, will seem like a big deal to you. This same frame of thought persists in my current location....

The biggest thing in Moore is the sale and distribution of drugs. If you arent involved in that, there is nearly nothing. There is no "dangerous" area in any part of the county. There is no constant threat of being robbed or shot, certainly nowhere near as it is in Fayetteville or other city. End this thread. Moore, Southern Pines and Pinehurst are extremely desirable and beautiful areas....

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM

106 posts, read 318,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Get the hell out of town with this bogus thread! I'm literally lol'ing and smh'ing at the same time...

The biggest thing in Moore is the sale and distribution of drugs. If you arent involved in that, there is nearly nothing. There is no "dangerous" area in any part of the county. There is no constant threat of being robbed or shot, certainly nowhere near as it is in Fayetteville or other city. End this thread. Moore, Southern Pines and Pinehurst are extremely desirable and beautiful areas....
Well said! As I have said in a number of threads, if you don't buy or sell drugs and don't leave your purse on the seat of your unlocked car, you have a nearly zero percent chance of being involved in a crime here.

Yes, there have been a few robberies recently, but like these "sprees" in the past, they are usually committed by one or two individuals repeating the crime and not representative of some kind of larger trend. We are a small community where one person can drastically affect crime statistics. They eventually get caught, as one of the people recently arrested for robbery, and the "crime spree" ends. In Charlotte or another larger city, it would take many many robberies to double a crime rate. Here, if someone commits 2-3 of them, there is a massive jump in the RATE, but not number.

Drugs are a problem all over the country. They are also a "victimless" crime in that you rarely have a person calling the police to report someone sold them drugs. So, the more effective the efforts on the part of law enforcement to go after drug activity, the bigger the problem looks on the front page of the paper. Ironically, if the cops weren't arresting people on drug charges, the appearance of there being a drug problem would be diminished.

I do think it is a shame that the Pilot newspaper in their journalistic laziness pads their website and print with "news" stories about people being arrested for doctor shopping, etc. to get more of the pain pills they were initially legitimately prescribed. Yes, it is a crime, but these people have addiction problems and are well on their way to ruining their lives without the additional public shaming of having their mug shots put on the front page. But then, if we started treating the drug problem in this country more as a public health issue instead of just crime we might actually make some progress and save billions of dollars...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Crime is subjective through the lens you view it through. Maybe its because I am from Fayetteville (formerly), but I doubt that is a factor. Do not buy into the hype that there is a lot of crime in Moore County...

I used to frequent both Southern Pines and Pinehurst. There is some beautiful women there, and I was pleasantly surprised. And these are beautiful towns in a beautiful county....the biggest crime issue in Moore County is the drug flow. There is a lot of drug traffic and drug busts for such a rural area, not to mention that it is a majority white county with a relatively low poverty rate. But you have to look at the drug prooblem in context, and maybe one isnt able to do that if you dont understand the business of drugs....

There is a LOT of wealthy people in Moore County, and it goes without saying that a segment of this demographic are closet addicts. Anybody familiar with the Hardy wrestling family knows of the drug issues with one of the brothers (I dont remember which one). I'm using him as an example of someone who isnt considered "poor" or low-income....so you have the demand from middle/upper class druggies, not to mention the drug influence that comes with any low-income demographic in America. Drug dealing is a big business in Moore, and it is a problem. But virtually all of the major traffickers are Latinos from out of town....

Besides that, I vehemently debunk the talk of violent crime in Moore in this thread. People are naming incidents that are only newsworthy for the fact that they arent a normal occurence in Moore! So when they do happen, it is a big deal....the violence that is associated with the drug trade in cities like Fayetteville and bigger cities across America doesnt exist in Moore. Again, when a shooting/robbery whatever does occur, it is rare. There is no gangbanging culture, there arent any drug crews, robbery crews, just a select random individuals who partake in these activities. Property crime is an issue, but that is a statewide problem, and Moore doesnt rank in the top tier of the state in this category either. Burglaries/break-ins/vandalism can generally be attributed to children or addicts, as they are in many other places. But nowhere in Moore County are you in jeapordy of someone just running into your house or car because you leave a door unlocked. Nowhere in Moore County has a reputation for high gun violence. This thread is bogus....

Nobody considering moving to Moore has to worry about crime being a "problem" or "high". Again I say, someone who is born and/or raised in Moore, or an area with similar crime statistics, wouldnt know the difference between an area with high crime or low crime, because they've never been in an area where crime was truly a problem or daily occurence. So the crime you witness, no matter how little it actually happens, will seem like a big deal to you. This same frame of thought persists in my current location....

So much to respond to...oh noo...but yeah. I lived in Fayetteville too. Southgate off Raeford Road. it was about the same honestly. a few times a week someone gettin shot robbed or stabbed. but yes i agree, it is mainly just one demographic and as long as you dont get mixed up with the wrong individual, you should be fine. definitely lock your doors though, because people WILL do a lot of car hopping here.

you cant debunk the talk of violent crime, it's not like i'm making it up it all happened quite recently. and every city reports on robberies, shootings, assaults, etc. how frequently it occurs has no bearing on whether or not the local paper will say something about it.

no gangbanging culture?? let me show you a typical day here in the bad part of town (that you say doesnt exist anywhere in moore co). the type of people you see pictured are always walking around at all hours of the night all over the city. mostly in the projects, but a few homeless ones hang out on sandhills blvd begging for food and cigarettes. there is no denying this, it has happened to me at the 3 different jobs i've worked here and other FF places say it too.

and how wrong you are about me! i grew up in gang infested san pedro, california and moved to philadelphia suburbs and little rock arkansas. and i still dont feel safe here at night. i was filling up my gas tank at a gas station right outside downtown SP, it was closed, no one else at the pump, dark, i really was expecting to get robbed. had my knife out and open ready. it happens a lot more than you seem to believe. you must have moved out of the area or something and dont realize how bad it's gotten. to say there is no bad part of town is slightly absurd. =/

Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM

106 posts, read 318,097 times
Worst thing SP ever did was approving Holiday Town (Brookside) 40 years ago.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recip View Post
Worst thing SP ever did was approving Holiday Town (Brookside) 40 years ago.
i agree completely. longleaf isnt much better, but yeah brookside and the people who inhabit it have taken over SP unfortunately. so many drug problems in this neighborhood. its sad. little babies running around the parking lot barefoot and in diapers no adult supervision, broken glass all over the lot. 9 year old kids running around shouting "n***a n***a n***a f*** you n***a n***a n***a!" literally just like that no exagerration. its very sad.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM

Police Investigate Reported Robbery at Reservoir Park | The Pilot: Southern Pines, NC

Just to reiterate what I was saying...robbery in broad daylight at a popular park. I was there with the kids maybe 6 or 7 weeks ago. This is not a safe area.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM

203 posts, read 412,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Police Investigate Reported Robbery at Reservoir Park | The Pilot: Southern Pines, NC

Just to reiterate what I was saying...robbery in broad daylight at a popular park. I was there with the kids maybe 6 or 7 weeks ago. This is not a safe area.
That's truly disgusting. If it can happen at 2 pm on a Friday afternoon it can happen anytime.

But on the positive side, at least the robber didn't shoot his victim.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

High unemployment +easy access to guns= stickups in the park.

Remove one from the equation and the problem goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina