Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 15,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, to be fair, smiling too much at someone in a bar IS a sign that you're interested.

Smiling at someone you pass in the Harris Teeter is prolly just being polite.

I'm sorry but thats incorrect. Its "overly familiar" to smile at someone in the Harris Teeter. You dont know them, they dont know you. A smile is a sign of you like someone and want to be friends with them. Or if they are a paying customer and you want their business. Otherwise its just putting on a false face. HINT HINT : IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CONCSIOUS EFFORT TO SMILE, IE THE SMILE DOESNT COME NATURALLY ITS FAKE I SMILE WHEN I SEE MY FRIENDS, I SMILE WHEN I SEE A CUTE CHICK LOOKING MY WAY, I SMILE AT SWEET LITTLE BABIES AND KIDS. If something makes me smile, my face just does it. Is your face a tap you turn on and off ? Apparently it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Just pass by them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I think that people should frown more. Next time I see a stranger I'm going to pucker up and really let'em have it. Maybe say something like "Hey, you, over there. Bah! Humbug!!"
Or you can just be neutral and not inter act with them at all. You dont have to give them a mean look, just look the other way is that Rocket Science to you ? If you REALLY want to be polite, give a head nod you have there by acknowledged them without coming across as too much crossing boundaries. Friendliness is for FRIENDS, if the person is not your friend, there is no need to be "friendly"

Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Hugging is encouraging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh puhleeeeeeze!

The assumption that the lady at church gave her a big hug and said how great it is to her - and was actually inviting her to her home is really bizarre!

The lady gave her a hug and showed friendliness to her as a way of encouraging her to continue coming to church! I grew up with folks doing this regularly as a way to make it understood that it was a welcoming environment of support. Anyone who misinterprets this as more than "we want you to be part of our church family" is - well - socially backward.

Dang.
If some stranger lady hugged me at church, my good Christian Wife would slap the daylights out of her

Last edited by saint_elsewhere; 05-10-2011 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: edit : A lady neither my wife nor I knew very well

Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_elsewhere View Post
I'm sorry but thats incorrect. Its "overly familiar" to smile at someone in the Harris Teeter. You dont know them, they dont know you. A smile is a sign of you like someone and want to be friends with them. Or if they are a paying customer and you want their business. Otherwise its just putting on a false face. HINT HINT : IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CONCSIOUS EFFORT TO SMILE, IE THE SMILE DOESNT COME NATURALLY ITS FAKE I SMILE WHEN I SEE MY FRIENDS, I SMILE WHEN I SEE A CUTE CHICK LOOKING MY WAY, I SMILE AT SWEET LITTLE BABIES AND KIDS. If something makes me smile, my face just does it. Is your face a tap you turn on and off ? Apparently it is.
I'm sorry but thats incorrect. Its "common courtesy" to smile at someone in the Harris Teeter. You dont know them, they dont know you. A smile is a sign of respect and acknowledgment rather than ignoring someone as if they didn't exist. Or if they are a paying customer and you want their business. Otherwise its just being rude. HINT HINT : IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A CONCSIOUS EFFORT TO SMILE, IE THE SMILE DOESNT COME NATURALLY, YOU ARE COLD AND RUDE I SMILE WHEN I SEE COMPLETE STRANGERS, I SMILE WHEN I SEE AN UGLY CHICK LOOKING MY WAY, I SMILE AT SWEET LITTLE OLD LADIES. If something makes me smile, my face just does it. My face is a tap I turn on and off.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Wow where to begin.....

Seriously, you just show up at someone's house you do NOT know? Of course she looked at you like you're crazy! That's very bad manners. And before you start on the whole "Southern Hospitality" Bandwagon, I'm from Upstate NY....you know the state many people think doesn't have manners. I NEVER just show up at someone's house. I personally find it INCREDIBLY rude when people do it. You have no idea what I'm doing or have going on. I could be in the middle of making my grocery list, cleaning my fridge for the first time in 6 months (I do mine every week!), getting liquored up and want to be left alone, bawling my eyes out because I just had a huge fight with hubby/wifey/BFF, having sex with someone, going to the bathroom, taking a shower, on my way out the door for an appointment, etc....and you wonder why she looked at YOU like that? Well, duh! That's got NOTHING to do with being in NC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I knew a guy back when I was in high school who thought every girl that smiled at him wanted to have sex...
Everyone needs a dream I guess. I wonder how many black eyes he got! LOL And NO a smile in a bar doesn't mean I want you take my pants off! Sure there's an occasional girl/guy that it does mean that, but to the general public it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
YES. It's rude to show up at someone's house unannounced. I don't even go to my parents house without telling them I'm on my way first.
When I lived in NY, I didn't show up at my parents house without first check with them either.

Quote:
I hope you aren't any of the people I smiled at in Fresh Market yesterday! I almost walked into someone because I was reading the shelf and not paying attention. I apologized and smiled. That certainly didn't mean we are now BFFs and please follow me home like a lost puppy!

And if people smiling is your biggest gripe in life, seriously you need cable, a book, or a board game. Your life isn't soooo bad. Think your life is rough? Try talking to some of the military folks who are being shipped home because they're severely injured (ie lost limbs from IEDs) trying to protect US! Seriously, quit your whining and grow up!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:15 PM

Default This is overboard !

[quote=arbyunc;19093835]I'm sorry but thats incorrect. Its "common courtesy" to smile at someone in the Harris Teeter. You dont know them, they dont know you. A smile is a sign of respect and acknowledgment rather than ignoring someone as if they didn't exist.
YOU, SIR ARE MISTAKEN. A smile doesnt show respect, it crosses a boundary . You havent been introduced to them, there is no connection that you can see , no obvious things in common. They could be the dude that broke in your house last week, or the chick who set fire to the office building because she got a bad review at work. People are messed up nowadays, are you so naive as to assume everyone you make eyecontact with is a good citizen of society ?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
YOU, SIR ARE MISTAKEN. A smile doesnt show respect, it crosses a boundary . You havent been introduced to them, there is no connection that you can see , no obvious things in common. They could be the dude that broke in your house last week, or the chick who set fire to the office building because she got a bad review at work. People are messed up nowadays, are you so naive as to assume everyone you make eyecontact with is a good citizen of society ?

You clearly aren't from around here, are you?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times

I can't believe this hasn't been removed from your post.

I could start THERE with what issues you may be having with folks in NC!

With that sort of attitude you will get nowhere with anyone in any state.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurasiangurl View Post
folks in fayetteville " AKA fuqqedupville" are sooo fake !

Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You clearly aren't from around here, are you?
NO I AM NOT. DOESNT STOP ME FROM BEING POLITE THOUGH. I just dont smile If I dont know you. Politeness and Friendliness are mutually exclusive. Dont confuse the two.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
NO I AM NOT. DOESNT STOP ME FROM BEING POLITE THOUGH. I just dont smile If I dont know you. Politeness and Friendliness are mutually exclusive. Dont confuse the two.
Polite? With all caps on? You can only be polite to your friends? Well, no wonder you are having such a hard time living in NC. Heck, with that kind of attitude, you'd have a hard time living anywhere on earth! I'm not friends with my mail lady or UPS man, but I smile at them when I see them. I guess I should stop that though since you have now explain the rules of smiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina