Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,817 times

Advertisements

good evening, i am spending the rest of the summer in nc. a few things aggravate the devil out of me already and i have only been here a week. i am young and able-bodied. i like opening my own door. i think people who are NOT heavily pregnant, disabled, in a wheelchair, limping etc should also open their own door. if you want to hold the door open 4 me, fine and good, but find it tiring when people expect a thank you ( and they do ). unless i was visibly struggling to get through the door ( i wasnt ) you dont owe me an opening, and i dont owe you anything either. if it even matters, i will go out of my way to hold a door open for someone physically disabled or pushing a stroller, but whats with those morons who will steady keep the door open when your still 50 feet away w/ this big grin on their face, now i feel obligated to rush up to the door so they dont stand there for ever and i usually give a polite nod, and mumble gratitude, but it unnerves me. also, whats with all the eye contact , unless you are speaking directly to me or engaging me in some verbal interaction there is no need to look at me, just mind your own business as i do mine. i also hate when total strangers smile for no reason b/c i wonder whats in their head. i wonder how i'll get through the next three months without gettting irritated every minute of the day. i am 18 years old, but i dont think age has any thing to do with it. or maybe it does ? i dont see the point in playing friend with total strangers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
It is called politeness and manners. Character traits sorely lacking today's youth. Please feel free to stay in whatever rude, disrespectful place you come from.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Please go back to where ever you came from and take that attitude with you or learn some manners. People aren't to get you or implying anything by holding doors. It sure isn't your age either, I've been holding doors open since I was able to. Sounds more like its your poor upbringing.

I hold the door open so I don't slam it in someones face. I actually had my elbow fractured from someone dropping a heavy door on me sooooo, thanks for nothing if it was you.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Please go back to where ever you came from and take that attitude with you or learn some manners. People aren't to get you or implying anything by holding doors. It sure isn't your age either, I've been holding doors open since I was able to. Sounds more like its your poor upbringing.

I hold the door open so I don't slam it in someones face. I actually had my elbow fractured from someone dropping a heavy door on me sooooo, thanks for nothing if it was you.
what prevented you from "catching" the door ? is everyone your slave ?

PS : i was "brought up" quite well, to mind my own business. had you read the part about me opening doors for folks with a LEGIT need, you wouldnt have said that.

its poor upbringing on YOUR part that causes you to feel others should cater to you in a public place when they dont even know you !

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM

530 posts, read 779,884 times
You should post a profile picture. That way, if we see you coming, we will know who not to look at, make eye contact with and not hold a door for.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
That's just the way people interact in NC. If you find it so disturbing, I suggest you seek an alternate location for the remainder of your summer.

You will be unhappy here, and it is unrealistic to expect the entire population to stop holding doors and making eye contact just so you'll like it better.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Seriously????

Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil*miss*sunshine View Post
what prevented you from "catching" the door ? is everyone your slave ?

PS : i was "brought up" quite well, to mind my own business. had you read the part about me opening doors for folks with a LEGIT need, you wouldnt have said that.

its poor upbringing on YOUR part that causes you to feel others should cater to you in a public place when they dont even know you !
Uh no. Its called being right behind them and them dropping it without checking if i had it and since it was heavy it closed fast right on me. And again, its your lack of manners. So please, take that attitude and move.

You clearly came here to just cause problems and complain about something so stupid to complain about.
You should be grateful people actually care about lending a hand to each other down here.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Let me guess--you're from the NYC area?

Around here, we believe in common courtesy. It's probably a good thing you are only here for the summer.

If someone is holding a door and you are "too far" away, just say "I can get it, thanks anyway!" And smile (assuming that's something you know how to do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil*miss*sunshine View Post
good evening, i am spending the rest of the summer in nc. a few things aggravate the devil out of me already and i have only been here a week. i am young and able-bodied. i like opening my own door. i think people who are NOT heavily pregnant, disabled, in a wheelchair, limping etc should also open their own door. if you want to hold the door open 4 me, fine and good, but find it tiring when people expect a thank you ( and they do ). unless i was visibly struggling to get through the door ( i wasnt ) you dont owe me an opening, and i dont owe you anything either. if it even matters, i will go out of my way to hold a door open for someone physically disabled or pushing a stroller, but whats with those morons who will steady keep the door open when your still 50 feet away w/ this big grin on their face, now i feel obligated to rush up to the door so they dont stand there for ever and i usually give a polite nod, and mumble gratitude, but it unnerves me. also, whats with all the eye contact , unless you are speaking directly to me or engaging me in some verbal interaction there is no need to look at me, just mind your own business as i do mine. i also hate when total strangers smile for no reason b/c i wonder whats in their head. i wonder how i'll get through the next three months without gettting irritated every minute of the day. i am 18 years old, but i dont think age has any thing to do with it. or maybe it does ? i dont see the point in playing friend with total strangers

Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
I know JUST the person you should hang out with. Make eye contact with her at McDonald's. Trust me. You'll have a TRUE friend for life, the type you're so close to she'll come over unannounced.

I know saying 'thank you' is a terrible burden. Such is the lot in southern life. Errr, actually, any civilized place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina