Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 12:37 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Interesting graphic. I honestly would have expected Vermont to be much higher.
It doesn't really matter where anyone stands on marriage equality anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
I made the statement earlier in the thread that I thought that North Carolina was more like Pennsylvania. There's a thread on the Pennsylvania board going now where they've gotten into a comparison of the two.

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ate-flags.html

Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 AM

11 posts, read 12,285 times
I grew up on the NC/SC line, so I've always had the perception that we were more similar to SC. My experience is limited, I guess. I've never been to VA.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebEC View Post
I grew up on the NC/SC line, so I've always had the perception that we were more similar to SC. My experience is limited, I guess. I've never been to VA.
It's pretty much like that along the borders...whichever state you're nearest, that's the state you feel like NC is most like - including TN and GA. Of course SC and VA have longer borders with NC so there are more people who think NC is more like those two states. I feel like it's pretty evenly divided between those two.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
Overall, North Carolina feels more like Virginia.

The metro areas have much much more in common. The demographics are shifting similarly.

I was born and raised in Northern Virginia, and have lived for years in SC but have never liked this state much at all.

Tennessee and Georgia don't do anything for me at all.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:45 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Lived in NC my whole life.

I always tended to think NC and SC were rather similar and overall more closely related than NC and VA. After all, we are "the Carolina's". There have been efforts to continue to bind the two states together, examples such as Carowind's or the Carolina Panthers.

NC remains rather rural. NC is the 10th or so most populated state but you will find most of the population bunches up in three main areas.....Greensboro Raleigh and Charlotte. To venture out of these areas it gets country real quick.

Politically, SC has historically been more conservative but since 2009 NC has seemed to surpass SC in the political pendulum swing to the right. I think our presidential elections in NC will be tighter than SC but overall NC naturally falls into the red column.

(On another note my experience is many native born NCers are more likely to identify with SC. But many transplants or liberal leaning people who move to NC want to say NC and VA are more similar.)

Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

I always tended to think NC and SC were rather similar and overall more closely related than NC and VA. After all, we are "the Carolina's". There have been efforts to continue to bind the two states together, examples such as Carowind's or the Carolina Panthers.

NC remains rather rural. NC is the 10th or so most populated state but you will find most of the population bunches up in three main areas.....Greensboro Raleigh and Charlotte. To venture out of these areas it gets country real quick.

Politically, SC has historically been more conservative but since 2009 NC has seemed to surpass SC in the political pendulum swing to the right. I think our presidential elections in NC will be tighter than SC but overall NC naturally falls into the red column.

(On another note my experience is many native born NCers are more likely to identify with SC. But many transplants or liberal leaning people who move to NC want to say NC and VA are more similar.)
I'm still saying neither & going with Pennsylvania. The legislators in Harrisburg have been in an urban vs rural war as long as I can remember. There's a thread on the Pennsylvania board concerning the governor & the commonwealth legislature concerning schools that would set your hair on end. Before 2009 I would have been comfortable with saying Virginia. Of the two choices in this thread I say Virginia, but I think that the reality is Pennsylvania.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
What's the population of SC's biggest city?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

It depends on your location...Triad and Triangle people tend to identify more with VA, while Charlotte/Fayetteville/Wilmington with SC. I don't think you can say with any truth that more natives identify with SC - in my experience they don't but mine is more of a northwest NC experience, hence VA. You also have TN and GA borders, where people identify more with those states.

VA is closer to the politics, rural/urban divide, population, and area of NC...and those are just a few ways NC and VA are alike. I'm sure there are just as many ways that NC is like SC, so there isn't a clear answer. I definitely think it's closely related to where you are in NC as to how you feel about this.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:36 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It depends on your location...Triad and Triangle people tend to identify more with VA, while Charlotte/Fayetteville/Wilmington with SC. I don't think you can say with any truth that more natives identify with SC - in my experience they don't but mine is more of a northwest NC experience, hence VA. You also have TN and GA borders, where people identify more with those states.

VA is closer to the politics, rural/urban divide, population, and area of NC...and those are just a few ways NC and VA are alike. I'm sure there are just as many ways that NC is like SC, so there isn't a clear answer. I definitely think it's closely related to where you are in NC as to how you feel about this.
Yes if you live in a county that borders directly another state you will probably lean more towards that state. People in the Appalachians will see this discussion and say "NC is more like TN, we are nothing like SC or VA".

And it really comes down to one persons opinion.

Historically, NC and SC are obviously more closely aligned. They were in fact 'one state' at one point.

Mecklenburg, Union, Gaston County residents many times travel into SC for the cheaper prices, and many in SC cross into NC to go to work. I think that the border of SC and NC overall on a daily basis is FAR more traveled between the residents of each state for work, shopping or living than the VA border is or ever will be. Most likely it is simply because a major metro (Charlotte) sits right on the SC border but as they say - it is what it is. Economically SC and NC are just more closely together. Where does everyone go to the beach? Myrtle Beach, Wrightsville, or the Outer Banks. Where do people buy fireworks? The list goes on. Not to mention, the long stretch of the border of NC and VA, just has nothing.

Politically, well, NC has always fallen into the red (presidential) column save one election in 2008. Without a serious campaign with time and money spent by a democrat, then NC goes red. At the state level, we have super majorities of republicans while VA does not and I don't think SC does either. NC may be on its own category here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina