Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 12:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you driven through the mountains in PA, MD, West VA, VA, as well as NC, because it ALL has similar scenery. Not only that, there are branches of the same families scattered throughout. Neither was my intention in saying that the current most similar state would be PA. Lawmakers in Harrisburg & Raleigh have no problem in holding up a budget for several months. In both cases they also have no problem at all in eviscerating the public schools in their budget.

The Moravians settled Bethlehem, PA & a group came to NC from PA. The Quakers in the Triad got there via two routes, primarily from PA & South Jersey. The Germanic settlers in the Piedmont came down from PA. There was a separate group of Germanic settlers in VA called Germanna. SC got some of the PA Germans & some others. NC & PA shared many families in the colonial era. There was shared architecture. Some buildings were designed by the same English architects from Philadelphia to Charleston. Most if the Scotch-Irish entered through the port of Philadelphia & some through Wilmington, DE. Most of the colonial Germanic immigrants went through the port of Philadelphia. Most Scottish "criminals" were prisoners of the wars. Many of the ships scattered the prisoners from New England to SC. Pennsylvania didn't get them directly, but as the Scots who were dumped in East Jersey headed for the hills, they ended up in the Poconos in Pennsylvania.

There are many similarities & there are differences. That holds true for any two states. I took the OP to mean most similar right now. I've been in rural Pennsylvania & worked in Philadelphia for decades. I live thisclose to rural NC, on the edge of the Charlotte metro.
You can list 1,000 ways that NC is similar to PA and it still won't be nearly enough. The two bordering states are MUCH more like NC in MANY more ways. You cant continue to be stubborn about it if you wish, but your arguments just don't hold much water. Obviously NC is somewhat like PA, but the similarities to neighboring states like SC and VA are far more. The historic similarities aren't nearly as prominent as similarities of the past century, and those are endless for NC/VA/SC.

I have driven through PA and I've spent time in Harrisburg, Philly, and another small town. It's like NC in that it is American and the geography is similar, but you're asserting that it is more like NC than NC's twins (SC and VA). A sibling can be similar, but not more so than a twin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Research Triangle has tons of Virginia tags, far more than SC. Also, some areas of North Raleigh close to Falls Lake are only an hour or less south of the Virginia border. People from towns like Clarksville in VA come to Raleigh or Durham on weekends.
I know...but someone who is more familiar with the SC border might think differently. People who have lived near the NC/VA border understand the constant interaction between those two states, but someone who has lived near the NC/SC border knows the constant interaction between those two states. They are both very interactive, and there is really no right or wrong answer without extensive research. I think it's a pretty even match.

As far as similarities between the two, the area/population/politics of NC and VA make me see those two as more similar. Just looking at a map and seeing the smaller size of SC immediately makes me think that NC and VA are more alike, but there are endless similarities between NC and both of its neighbors so I can see why someone would see it another way.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
Default when you break it down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
I would say both. North Carolina takes the qualities of both states. North Carolina thinks they are above South Carolina and Virginia thinks that they are above North Carolina, but when you break all the gibberish down, it is just one big state with 3 crooked capitals.

when you really break it down, florida is just one big yankee landfill.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Virginia is ranked 21st healthiest state, North Carolina is ranked 31st healthiest, and South Carolina is ranked 42nd. Once again, NC is a mix of VA and SC.

http://cdnfiles.americashealthrankin...AHR_Annual.pdf

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

4,595 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Trump has 40 % approval rating in North Carolina right now, 54% disapproval. Trump has 48% approval in SC, 46% disapproval. Virginia gives Trump 37% approval, 57% disapproval.

Trump's Approval Highest in West Virginia, Lowest in Vermont

Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Virginia is ranked 21st healthiest state, North Carolina is ranked 31st healthiest, and South Carolina is ranked 42nd. Once again, NC is a mix of VA and SC.

http://cdnfiles.americashealthrankin...AHR_Annual.pdf
NC is much more like VA than SC...

Old 02-01-2018, 08:18 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I used to go to SC as a child and I always knew when we hit the border. SC is the deep south. NC and VA are closer culturally. I'd say GA and SC are close culturally.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I used to go to SC as a child and I always knew when we hit the border. SC is the deep south. NC and VA are closer culturally. I'd say GA and SC are close culturally.
We feel the same way. The minute we get into NC driving from Greenville, it even looks different, much more lush, more trees, different trees, more mountainous, etc..

Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I agree, but both states feel quite similar along the border. You don't cross into SC from I-26, I-77, or I-85 and all of a sudden start seeing cotton fields and moss-draped oaks. However the I-95 corridor through both states feels more like the Deep South since you're in the coastal plain instead of the Piedmont.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Again, east, southeast NC kinda morphs into northeast, pee dee SC. Many similarities. The feels are similar.

So much of Va. outside of Nova feels very southern ... in many respects more southern than NC. Like uncomfortably southern. *ahem*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina