Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM

32 posts, read 52,374 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I will be moving to Durham in the Fall (he was offered a promotion at work, which means a big move for us).

About what should I expect to budget for us getting new driver's licenses, car tags, etc? Does NC charge property tax on vehicles?

Thanks for any help. I did not have a car long in the state of AR before moving to OK, which have very different laws regarding owning a car. In OK, you should expect to pay just under $100/yr for tag renewal. I'm hoping it'll be a little less painful in NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoiledMegg View Post
Hi!

My husband and I will be moving to Durham in the Fall (he was offered a promotion at work, which means a big move for us).

About what should I expect to budget for us getting new driver's licenses, car tags, etc? Does NC charge property tax on vehicles?

Thanks for any help. I did not have a car long in the state of AR before moving to OK, which have very different laws regarding owning a car. In OK, you should expect to pay just under $100/yr for tag renewal. I'm hoping it'll be a little less painful in NC!
DMV info here:

NCDOT: Division of Motor Vehicles

Property tax on vehicles is charged by county of residence. Typically fairly modest based on vehicle value.

Welcome,

Frank

Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Driver's license is billed at $4/year or a regular license, and NC is on an 8-year cycle so you'll have to pony up $32 per driver there.

If you're bringing a car in, you'll have to pay a one-time Highway Use Tax based on the value of the vehicle, although I believe it is capped at $150.

Annual car registration is $33, and there's also an annual inspection/emissions check that runs about $30.

Annual property tax varies by location, but it's on the order of 1% (usually a bit less) of the assessed value. So a car valued by the state (as determined by what they estimate you could buy one for from a dealer) at $10,000 should yield a little under $100 per year in property tax.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
We pay $28 for plates and $17 property tax on a $2400 vehicle. Our 8800 lb truck is $43 plates and $23 property tax ($4500 value). One car has emissions and saftey inspection for $30 and the truck only has safety inspection for $12..it's a diesel..I believe gas cars older than 1996 are exempt from emissions testing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina