Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 14,640 times

Advertisements

I want to move to North Carolina however; I do not know which city to move too? : confused: I currently reside in Dallas, TX by way of Minneapolis. Although, I am no fan of the heat, I am also no fan of the cold weather either! Been there done that!!!!! I've lived here 5 years now and am so ready to move!!!! I'm tired of the traffic coupled with a few other reasons!!

I work in the health insurance industry and do not like commuting no more than 20-30 minutes to work. I'm in my mid 40's and my daughter is 19, so I do not need to live near any public schools.

I still love to party and get my drink on occasionally, so living close too bars/clubs and eateries would be great. I love to shop especially for shoes! D I would love to live near scenic areas such as parks, etc. Living near shopping areas like, strip malls or large-scale malls would also be nice.

Will someone please suggest a few cities I can checkout? I plan on visiting before moving so I can make plan ahead before making the final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Go to the mountains if you're going to NC for climate-related purposes, but you may find limited club-kinda stuff to do up there. The Triangle's weather is not a very big departure from Dallas. Much of the state can get hot and sticky like Texas. Charlotte is probably your best nightlife choice. Strip malls and suburbia are everywhere in the metros.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Thank you

Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Go check it out anyway if you can. You may or may not like it. Not where I'd choose if all I was wanting was cooler weather than Dallas. At least you have a mass transit system there (DART) - Charlotte is putting in a light rail system.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Check out Greensboro, Raleigh, Durhum and Gastonia (outside of Charlotte).

Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Another thing - if you are mostly trying to get away from traffic, the large metro areas of NC are better off avoided. I learned this firsthand going from Houston to the Triangle.

There are a lot of people who love it there, but the bigger cities are becoming more and more like Dallas. Lots of transients and they all drive cars.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 95,683 times
Have you looked at Aberdeen or Southern Pines area. It is in Moore County. I just moved from there, headed to VA and I miss home SO MUCH. They are located right next to one another and could pretty much be considered one big town...LOL!
Aberdeen is growing, as far as shops and whatnot. It is nice and not to much traffic, but still has bars/clubs...etc.
Southern Pines has ALOT of downtown shops, a park, and bars as well. It has a pretty exciting night life. Not much crime, compared to Fayetteville or Raleigh. Plus, your 19yr. old daughter would be safe to hang out with friends and have plenty to do. People are extremely friendly and it would not take much time to make friends.
It does not have a MALL, but it has shopping centers, plazas, etc. The closest, actual, mall would be in Fayetteville...which is ONLY about 30 minutes from there.
There are several parks and nature reserves with bike and hiking trails as well.
Take a look at it and see what you think.
Local newspaper- Front section of the Southern Pines Pilot
Gov. website- Welcome to the Moore County, NC Government's Web Site (http://www.co.moore.nc.us/main/page.asp?rec=/pages/home.asp - broken link)

Town of Aberdeen - Aberdeen, NC

there is a few websites.
Hope you enjoy!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM

There is little "hippie enclave" town in the western NC mountains somewhere around Western Carolina U. I think....can anyone name it?

The problem with going out to nice little corners of the country like these is that the job market's a bit thin....these are the kind of places I'd rather look at when retiring.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:07 PM

44 posts, read 200,922 times
Probably talking about Silva/Cullowee maybe? I know that is where Western Carolina is. Waynesville is also another cool town up int he mountains. I currently live in Boone, NC... another "hippy enclave" and I love it there. Must more low key and natural atmosphere than Asheville, and close to all kinds of outdoor activities.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Go check it out anyway if you can. You may or may not like it. Not where I'd choose if all I was wanting was cooler weather than Dallas. At least you have a mass transit system there (DART) - Charlotte is putting in a light rail system.
Thank you....I plan on checking out a few cities prior to moving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina