Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelynjm View Post
Francois, thanks for the post, no problem guys thinking of Durham now, planning a trip the end of July and see what happens. Feedback on Durham would be appreciated. This is someone who is tired of living in Miami, no the crime hasnt scared me, or the cultural diversity, or even the taxes or real estate bust. Basically in a point of my life that I would like to make a change. My first choice has always been Maine, Cape Elizabeth area, South Portland. Yes, i have visited 2 times and got married there on a vacation, but the winters are too extreme so NC was my 2nd choice because I have a brother in law in Wilmington. I dont want water though because I have a place in the FL keys, which I rent, if anyone is interested. I want a nice neighborhood in a nice city with nice poeple....that i can experience all 4 seasons....Asheville or Durham. You scared me on Cary lol! take care guys.
You seem like you know what you want, so good for you! Asheville would be my top pick, but then, I DO love mountains

Let us know what you decide after your visit in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Francois, thanks for the post, no problem guys thinking of Durham now, planning a trip the end of July and see what happens. Feedback on Durham would be appreciated. This is someone who is tired of living in Miami, no the crime hasnt scared me, or the cultural diversity, or even the taxes or real estate bust. Basically in a point of my life that I would like to make a change. My first choice has always been Maine, Cape Elizabeth area, South Portland. Yes, i have visited 2 times and got married there on a vacation, but the winters are too extreme so NC was my 2nd choice because I have a brother in law in Wilmington. I dont want water though because I have a place in the FL keys, which I rent, if anyone is interested. I want a nice neighborhood in a nice city with nice poeple....that i can experience all 4 seasons....Asheville or Durham. You scared me on Cary lol! take care guys.
Not bad....
If Asheville appeals, then I think Durham just may be its closest comparison in the Triangle.
More comparable than Cary, methinks.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Hi my husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC, we really like Asheville as we wanted the mountain feel. Its been Miami for a very long time and we needed a change. We are a Cuban/Dominican couple in our 40's and have an elementary school child so we prefer a nice community that we can find jobs. My husband is in Sales and I am in the education sector. Also we are concerned about racism against hispanics if any? Would really appreciate the guidance. Also we keep hearing about Cary any thoughts on that city? Thank you all

Have you investigated Hendersonville ? 20 mi. south of Asheville, very nice small city. www.historichendersonville.com or a bit further south in the foothills of NC, down in Greenville SC or in between Greenville and Hendersonville. You will get your 4 seasons in the mountains, in some locations, more of that 4th than you might bargain for. Ice storms, power outages etc. In Greenville SC, you are in the foothills and that 4th season is verrrry mild. www.goupstate.com

Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

Evelyn, there are always going to be those who will rain on your parade ! I can't believe you are that easily "scared off". Cary is lovely, you would probably love it and thrive there. If you have family in Wilmington, that is important. You can always visit the mountains within a reasonable amount of time. Check out both Durham and Cary and you will get a "feel" for where you want to be and interact. (Being a native of New England myself, I can honestly tell you that you would have to love paying high taxes, high utilities, shoveling tons of snow, and the lack of cultural diversity in the areas you mention will have you drooling for NC.) Here are a few excellent links for you to take a look at:

www.ourstate.com

www.carolinaliving.com

Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 112,337 times
Ashville is a beautiful place but there is not much work, especially professional type work in the mountain areas of NC. I had just relocated to Charlotte from Cary in January and all my family still live in Cary. If you are going to raise a family, Cary it is probably one of the best places to do so in NC. Its a beautiful and safe neighborhood with low crime and many conveniences. Very safe schools as well.

Please do not worry about racism. The entire Raleigh area itself has a pretty large hispanic community. I myself have many hispanic friends back home and rarely seen any kind of racism towards them. My mother who still lives in Cary has many hispanic friends as well. The area is a big mix of people from everywhere...from all over the US as well as the world. I think you would be happy raising a family there. I'd recommend taking a trip and checking out the area. If you need any more info on the area feel free to message me.

Whichever city you relocate to I wish you a great move!

Quote:
Hi my husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC, we really like Asheville as we wanted the mountain feel. Its been Miami for a very long time and we needed a change. We are a Cuban/Dominican couple in our 40's and have an elementary school child so we prefer a nice community that we can find jobs. My husband is in Sales and I am in the education sector. Also we are concerned about racism against hispanics if any? Would really appreciate the guidance. Also we keep hearing about Cary any thoughts on that city? Thank you all

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 28,120 times
Thank you all for the feedback and the links, we decided to take the trip in the Fall to see the Foliage. Will be visiting Cary. NC as well. NC will be for sure

Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback and the links, we decided to take the trip in the Fall to see the Foliage. Will be visiting Cary. NC as well. NC will be for sure
You do realize that Cary is just a huge suburb of Raleigh, right?
For comparison, it would be like saying you were going to travel to South Florida to visit Kendall. You should explore the entire Triangle area.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 28,120 times
Default MY visit to Asheville & Cary

We finally took the trip in October to Asheville and what a perfect time to visit, the weather was beautiful and the foliage colors were breathtaking, very stunning as one doesnt get to see that in Miami at all. I really liked Asheville and the people were very friendly in the restaurants as well as overall in most places. Downtown Asheville was nice reminded me of Portland, Maine however I did find the peoeple especially the younger gen a little scary, very hippie like. Not really used to seeing that very much in Miami. We visited a lot of neighborhoods and homes are just so nice when they are tucked in the mountains. We could certainly fall in love with living there. Jobs I see are a problem as I didnt see much happening in the newspapers etc. It looks like a great place to have a latin restaurant, (cuban/dominican) food as we did not see much of that there. Needless to say, we fell in love with Asheville and we hope to visit again soon. relocating there would be once we get financially stable jobs, possible new business etc. On our way back, we stopped by Cary and it was very nice also, more like what we would enjoy in a family style environment, but of course no mountains, I feel that if I am trading living next to the ocean, I might as well have the mountains! So Cary would not be an option .....Asheville what a beautiful place!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 AM

25 posts, read 40,508 times
I recently moved from Miami to Hendersonville and love it. There does not seem to be a discrimination, my husband is Latin and does not feel any bad vibes. There are some cuban restaurants around but we have not tried them yet. I wouldn't worry about feeling uncomfortable.

Last edited by mad hatter; 12-12-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM

84 posts, read 147,838 times
Wake County has good schools, but make sure to research the school your child would go to. (The person who said "horrible schools" is absurd.)

Cary does not have a "huge" Latino community. It has a medium-sized mostly Mexican community. Cary is at least 80 percent "non-Latino white". Its a good area...

Asheville has major jobs issues, and does not have a large middle class (mostly wealthy or blue-collar). Many folks want to live there but jobs are scarce. I would go for Cary/Apex, Chapel Hill or parts of Raleigh. You can;t buy groceries with the mountain views in Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina