Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,000 times

Advertisements

Recently the ac unit in our rental property went out. We scheduled a service call the day after we received word from the tenants the unit stopped working .. the technician could not get there until 2 days later and he determined that the entire system needed replaced. The earliest it can be done (it is the busy season) is a week from today, or about 10 days since it went out. After informing the tenants of this, they immediately stated that they could not wait that long and that they would have to go stay somewhere else. I am afraid that their next step is going to be asked to be compensated for the 7 days they will be staying somewhere else. would we have to compensate them? I feel that we have done everything as quickly as we could.any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,560 times
There are probably 100 HVAC companies in the area. How many have you contacted? It is busy obviously, considering the temps, but I would expect if you tried you could get it replaced within 24 hours.

That's the breaks with being a landlord. It is like being a parent, you aren't just responsible for yourself anymore. I would go ahead and offer them a refund on their rent until it is fixed.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markley View Post
the ac unit in our rental property went out... the technician 2 days to get there...
later determined that the entire system needed replaced.
That happens. Peak of the season. Still, get a second opinion on the diagnosis.
Curious... how old is this equipment that you describe as just all of a sudden like deciding to deep six itself?

Quote:
The earliest it can be done (it is the busy season) is a week from today, or about 10 days since it went out.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
After informing the tenants of this, they immediately stated that they could not wait that long and that they would have to go stay somewhere else.
not an unreasonable response.
Being sweaty for the first 24-48 maybe even 72 hours... that's life. More isn't.

Quote:
I am afraid that their next step is going to be asked to be compensated for the 7 days they will be staying somewhere else.
Of course. It's not THEIR a/c that went out.

Quote:
would we have to compensate them?
or just pay the motel bill,

Quote:
I feel that we have done everything as quickly as we could.any thoughts?
see that first question I asked?
Curious... how old is this equipment?

My system is 22 years old and I KNOW that I'm on borrowed time with it.
Actually... just this morning I replaced the breaker in the disconnect and capacitor in the condensing unit.
Have my fingers crossed that it will all last until NEXT spring when I'm doing my planned basement remodel.

being a LL is a PITA.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-08-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,000 times
Thanks for the replies..the unit is 16 years old, and is a goodman for whatever that's worth. I think we will get a second opinion, but the first guy was highly recommended by a friend who has dealt with him on a number of occasions. He said that the condenser(or compressor) was shot. He said we could probably string it along a little while longer if we replace it (but no guarantees). Also said the entire system is in pretty bad shape. We have had zero maintenance done for past 4 years.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
16 years is a good lifetime for a residential unit. I don't think it would be worth doing a major repair on a unit that old.

And just to scold you a bit--4 years is a long time for no maintenance. You probably realize that now though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina