U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 37,099 times

Advertisements

Hello, we live in Lithuania now but we are moving to USA in two month (6-7 Oct.) we have won green cards. We are honest, friendly, easy to go on with. We decided to settle down somewhere in NC, not very far away from the ocean. We have faced with a huge problem because we don't know anybody who could help us the first days in USA because we do not have any relatives or friends in USA. I'm 30 years old, can speak English (I was a teacher in Lithuania), my husband is 36 and we have 2 nice children: our daughter is 4,5 and our son is 2,5. Is anybody there who could help us to locate in NC or somewhere else in this part of USA, for ex. help to rent a room or apartment, to meet in the airport if possible or just give advice. We would be thankfull for any help.
The best thing for us to be if You could let to live with You for some days until we'll find our place to live and jobs.

Best regards, Giedre

Last edited by skybird; 08-07-2007 at 11:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 61,849,427 times
WOW What a large family Good Luck in your quest.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
WOW What a large family Good Luck in your quest.
We have two children.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 AM

7,352 posts, read 9,716,403 times
skybird: Congratulations on winning green cards! And welcome to the U.S.

The best way for you to begin would be to contact the Lithuanian Embassy. They can give you the number of someone for you to contact in North Carolina to help you begin your new life here. Here's their website:

Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania to the United States of America - Consular information

Generally speaking, Americans don't open their homes to people they don't know--although, of course, there are exceptions. BUT they are very willing to help out with advice, provide job leads, etc.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE
Generally speaking, Americans don't open their homes to people they don't know--although, of course, there are exceptions. BUT they are very willing to help out with advice, provide job leads, etc.[/quote]

Yes, You are right. I guess it's impossible to find someone who accept us -foreigners- in his or her home and patronize the first days in the USA. I've almost lost my hope to find such kind of help.
Thank You for advise.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 35,856 times
Skybird, you know that Embassy is not going to help you... You can try this website - russiancarolina.net

Old 08-09-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantima View Post
Skybird, you know that Embassy is not going to help you... You can try this website - russiancarolina.net
Yes, I've already asked for the help that Embassy, but they can't help. I guess the best idea is to find a cheap hostel until we find a room or apartment to rent.
I'll certainly look at the website You mentioned.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,616,209 times
Skybird, there is an international organization called Traveler's Aid that provides a variety of types of assistance. You didn't say exactly where in North Carolina you were hoping to settle in but there is a chapter of the TA in Charlotte:

North Carolina
Community Link
601 E. 5th St.
Charlotte, NC 28237
(704) 943-9490

Here is a link to their website and you might find some useful information there. Travelers Aid International

It must be very hard to uproot your family and move to a strange country and start over but that is the way this country was created, by people just like you who came here LEGALLY. (Sorry for the capitalization, I am more than a little angry at all the ILLEGALS who sneak in here.) You might also contact the chambers of commerce in any of the communities where you are thinking of relocating to and tell them your story and see what they might suggest. Also, using a search engine like Google, put in the town or city name in the search box and all kinds of information will pop up that will give you resources in various communities. You might also contact a real estate agent in the city or town and see if you can get some help there in finding a place to live.

Wish I had something specific to offer you but unfortunately I still live in Texas. Good luck and welcome!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM

[quote=Redrover;
Thank You, Redrover. It's a pity You live so far away from the place we are dreaming about. I am trying to find the help everywhere but nothing yet. I've read much in the forum and we are thinking to locate in [COLOR="Black"]New Bern [/color]since the city is growing and it's a better opportunity to find jobs. I appreciate Your support, it's really hard to move to a different country and to leave everybody and everything here in Lithuania, and I am worried about my two kids very much because we are going to the unknown.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

306 posts, read 1,249,188 times
There is a Lithuanian-American Community network at Lithuanian-American Community, Inc. (LAC). Their newest chapter is in North Carolina Įvadas (broken link). The contact is Dr. Enrikas Vainorius at enrikas@nclietuviai.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina