Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 47,550 times

Advertisements

HI, my husband and I want to relocate to NC, I'm just wondering how everyone did it, job first then go, or go down then get the job?? And if you went down without the job, where did you stay?? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 10:52 AM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times
Default job first

Always go with job first!

Having no jobs and facing rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, etc. is NOT fun!!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 PM

18 posts, read 77,816 times
The way my husband and I did it was to find jobs first. We did this from the West Coast by first networking over the phone. I contacted people in my chosen field and then sent them emails and followed up on the phone. Networking in Raleigh is great - everyone is so friendly.

By doing this I was able to learn about job opportunities. Then I sent my resume to these organizations and told them I would be in the area on these dates, did they want to meet? 4/5 said yes and I had 4 interviews and 3 offers. Results may vary :-).

The best advice is to be willing to pay for your first trip out here yourself. Hiring managers are more likely to take a chance when they don't have to pay for a plane ticket.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_carrier View Post
HI, my husband and I want to relocate to NC, I'm just wondering how everyone did it, job first then go, or go down then get the job?? And if you went down without the job, where did you stay?? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you
What type of work do you do?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Default We didn't have jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_carrier View Post

We moved back in July and I did NOT have a job (nor did my husband). We applied for the short-term leased apartment while we were still in NoNJ and I used that paystub to get approval for the apartment with no problem.

It helped that we made a significant profit on the sale of our NoNJ home, so we had 18 months worth of bills covered even if I wasn't able to get a job right away.

However, I had a marketable skill: executive secretary with 15+ years experience, and managed to get a job two weeks after we arrived. It was all just perfect timing - a position came open the week I arrived, and I interviewed the Thursday before the other secretary's last day. On Friday while the boss was taking the secretary out to lunch to say goodbye, I got a call with the job offer at the salary I requested (which a headhunter had told me I would never get). I accepted and started the following Monday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job and have gone from someone who hated working to someone who doesn't see herself quitting any time soon. LOVE my job.

Once I started my job and it was official, we began househunting and found a wonderful house within a week - we closed the week before our short-term lease ran out on the apartment we were renting.

As I said, it helped that we had a significant financial cushion in the bank that would have gotten us through any long-term problems regarding jobs or housing. I don't think we would have made the move with no jobs in place without that cushion. But in the end everything worked out VERY well for us and we couldn't be happier.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I haven't moved from another state as of yet and I have lived in North Carolina my entire life. But from moving around in the state, the job, schools, and medical facilities were the first things I checked out. After that was good to go and I had a job lined up, I started looking for apartments. When I moved to Dunn I had the good fortune to find an apartment right away because the owner of the nursing home also owned several apartments and he placed me right away in one. He was very helpful. He even paid the deposits for the phone and electricity and then took it out of my first checks to cover the costs. So there are ways to do it without too much trauma.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 AM

41 posts, read 215,556 times
Smile caution to the wind

well we just jumped right in,found a realtor on this forum(yorkshirelass,exellent lady very good at her job) sold house and here we are,been here 2 weeks waiting to close on a house,already have plenty of job leads,if you want it you can make it happen,good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina