Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM

166 posts, read 304,420 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with or knowledge about NC Job Corps program?
Have one offspring who may be interested, but we read there were funding issues in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Years ago, I used to write grant proposals to the federal government for a company that operated several Job Corps training centers. I also produced recruitment videos and traveled to centers in the states of MI, TN, VT, and NY.

If I had a child, I'd try to find an alternative such as community college or other training or certificate programs.

The job placement rate was pretty low back then, and I can't imagine what it could possibly be now in this economy. Back then, many food service graduates got jobs at McDonalds after completing their programs, and the operating company considered that a successful placement in their reports...which is nuts.

For some kids, it's a last-ditch opportunity, and they have no choice. But if they can get into anything else, anywhere, I think that's a good thing to do.

I especially remember the center in TN... its ultra-roach-infested building...and I had to develop a video to make it look great. I did. I later heard it closed due to one of the students being murdered by another student. It didn't surprise me. I learned while there that I never should have been walking around that center without someone being with me.

I'm not familiar with NC Job Corps programs, but I can't imagine them being a whole lot different.

It's a good concept, but the implementation...not so good.

Maybe things have changed, who knows. I hope so.

The Job Corps Centers in NC, I've found, are all in the western part of NC. Maybe you can get some up-to-date info on the centers on that part of the forum.

Here are the locations in NC:

Kittrell

P O Box 278
1096 US Highway 1 South
Kittrell, NC 27544
Tel: (252) 438-6161
Fax: (252) 492-9630
http://kittrell.jobcorps.gov

Lyndon Johnson

3170 Wayah Road
Franklin, NC 28734
Tel: (828) 524-4446
Fax: (828) 369-7338
http://lyndonbjohnson.jobcorps.gov

Oconaluftee

502 Oconaluftee Job Corps Road
Cherokee, NC 28719
Tel: (828) 497-5411
Fax: (828) 497-6539
http://oconaluftee.jobcorps.gov

Schenck

98 Schenck Drive
Pisgah Forest, NC 28768
Tel: (828) 862-6100
Fax: (828) 877-3028
http://schenck.jobcorps.gov

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-24-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM

166 posts, read 304,420 times
This is very insightful, brentwood. Thanks a lot. Here on the west coast the program has a good reputation and seems to be quite successful; but leaving one behind is a difficult situation to consider; its nice to have everyone in the fold....
I had read that some of the eastern sites leave much to be desired, I appreciate your candor based on personal experience.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,965 times
Default Job Corps Isn't a good move

Please reconsider taking your child there, its horrible

Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 841 times
Insufficient staffing, the managers and staff having sexual encounters with each other and students!! The present security manager is a retired military alcoholic with mental issues and runs his staff on sheer fear and intimidation! He should be fired and told dictatorship doesn't work in the US! The social development director is afraid of the students and leaves at the unset of Trouble . The center director walks around with his head in the sand! One question who gives authorization for hiring!!! it's a mess at Kittrell job corps! They need to get rid of the management and stop hiring nearby neighbors and relatives with no experience that will stop some of the misconduct by staff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina