Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

Good article about North Carolina's eugenics program that inlcudes a pamphlet from an organization called The Human Betterment League of North Carolina. It was formed in 1947 and didn't fold until 1988.

They basically promoted the sterilization of "mental defects" in the state. There's testimony going on this week in Raleigh by a task force that will make recommendations to the governor including the possibility of payments to those that were sterilized that are still alive.

http://www.lib.unc.edu/blogs/ncm/ind...man-betterment

From the 1920s to the 1970s, the NC Board of Eugenics oversaw the sterilization of nearly 7600 people.

An in depth article is also availabe at The Winston-Salem Journal: Against Their Will - North Carolina's Sterilization Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Hitler would have been so proud

Guess I could see how this backward ignorant way of thinking existed back in the 1920-40's, but this program went on until 1970

Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Guess I could see how this backward ignorant way of thinking existed back in the 1920-40's, but this program went on until 1970
Usually the "H" word is a thread stopper for me but you're right. It's interesting but I think one of the reasons a lot of things changed in the state as far as that and racism (yes it still exists) is because of RTP. The feds weren't going to participate unless we modernized down here.

Can you imagine being a research scientist in the Triangle being surrounded by those two issues?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Eugenics programs were in place up until the 70s in a bunch of states and Canada and Sweden, and into the 1980s in Switzerland. To NC's credit they're the only state really at the forefront in terms of reconciliation and publicizing what happened.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Eugenics programs were in place up until the 70s in a bunch of states and Canada and Sweden, and into the 1980s in Switzerland. To NC's credit they're the only state really at the forefront in terms of reconciliation and publicizing what happened.

Very interesting to know, thanks

Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,528 times
This is a bunch of left wing BS!!! Granted it was wrong. So was slavery. Taxes on tea. Public hanging. Many more. Thing is listen again to most of the speakers. They are have one tone. COMPENSATION!!! Why??? The state was doing what at the time was thought best. They were doing the same as others. People think that because it is look at as wrong now they need a dollar. BS!!!! It happened. Sorry. What more????

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
This is a bunch of left wing BS!!! Granted it was wrong. So was slavery. Taxes on tea. Public hanging. Many more. Thing is listen again to most of the speakers. They are have one tone. COMPENSATION!!! Why??? The state was doing what at the time was thought best. They were doing the same as others. People think that because it is look at as wrong now they need a dollar. BS!!!! It happened. Sorry. What more????
I can't think of anything more of a right wing cause as compensating someone for denying them liberty. That's pretty conservative.

I don't know what the final answer is. Knowing about what happened is what's important. Some of us are going to learn from it. Some of us aren't.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I can't think of anything more of a right wing cause as compensating someone for denying them liberty. That's pretty conservative.

I don't know what the final answer is. Knowing about what happened is what's important. Some of us are going to learn from it. Some of us aren't.
I don't see it as something that is "conservative vs. liberal!." It is a human rights issue.

I believe the Chinese government, who are not known for their progressive stance on human rights, would probably find that program a reasonable approach to population control.

China: Authorities Plan To Sterilise 10,000 People To Ensure They Meet Family Planning Targets | World News | Sky News

Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Well , I'll likely be chewed for this , but I don't care. I agree , sterilization can be an effective means of population control , provided it's performed voluntarily , following reeducation of the participants. Forcing it upon 90% of the population is overkill , the remainder (addicts , welfare parents in perpetuity , emotionally excessive violent persons , et al.) should be forced to undergo the procedure. IMO , it would help humanity in the long run , however , extensive oversight , checks/balances , and a process reliant on complete logic would need to be in place to ensure no personal vices or grudges are implemented. This may seem archaic , but what other options exist , short of colonising Luna , which will likely not occur for at least 300 years , provided H.Sapiens still exists.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
This is veering off the local topic into a "Great Debates" discussion on sterilization in general, but I know of one program (not here, not that long ago), where a (female, if it matters) doctor was offering voluntary sterilizations to welfare women and paying them for it (again, at THEIR choice) and she was still generally raked over the coals as another H#tl#r. Sorry, but if someone knows they won't be a good mother, why not do everything you can to help them not be one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina