Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM

741 posts, read 3,502,088 times

Advertisements

I'm 2 weeks away from our move, and I really do not want to drive my older Jeep to NC. I've been told by some, if I buy a new car from a dealer in NC with my NJ license they will charge me tax for both NC and NJ? This can't be right. I plan to fly back into Raleigh, rent a car for a week or so untill I find the car I want in NC.

Has anybody done this? Will I run into problems doing this having my NJ license?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,620,535 times
I bought a new car in NC shortly after I moved with my Florida driver's license. There was no problem, I got it registered in NC and only paid NC tax on it.

I did, however, have to have an NC insurance policy in place in order to register it.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 AM

123 posts, read 484,706 times
I don't think you should have a problem. When we lived in Louisiana, my husband had a Florida license and we had our car registered in NC at the Louisiana dealership so that it would have NC tags. We had to pay the NC taxes and registration but that's all.

But if you are in NC buying a car to be registered here, I wouldn't think it would matter that your license is still NJ. You would just have to have a local (NC) address I believe.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,665,390 times
It will come with temp plates and you will have to reg it in NJ and it will be taxed in NJ when you register it there.

BUT!!!! You will have to pay again when you register your car down here in NC.....so you will be paying to register the car twice.

Unless you can get down here within I think it is a 30 day temp tag, establish residency, new license etc. And then you will just have it registered once.

Just ask the dealers they do this stuff all the time,

Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,029,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I bought a new car in NC shortly after I moved with my Florida driver's license. There was no problem, I got it registered in NC and only paid NC tax on it.

I did, however, have to have an NC insurance policy in place in order to register it.
Miamiblue hit the nail on the head. Last year my husband and I bought a car about 2 months after moving to NC. I still had my license from my old state, but we had already established car insurance in NC. We had no problems whatsoever.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,396,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Unless you can get down here within I think it is a 30 day temp tag, establish residency, new license etc. And then you will just have it registered once.
This is exactly what you wanna do...you have to get everything done in that 30-day window though.

IIRC you should have 60 days to change over to a NC license. You do not need one to get everything you need to get started, including NC insurance.

Whatever you do, don't let yourself get taxed twice.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,798,975 times
You will need to have an NC address to attach your NC insurance policy to, but you don't need an NC Driver's License.
BTW you can't get your license in NC until you can document a valid NC insurance policy.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM

170 posts, read 344,338 times
so it looks like the issue is that NC wants your car to have NC insurance and tags. But the driver's license is not an issue? Out of state dr lic is not an issue I'm gathering. Thx

Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
Beginning September 15, 2007, you must present a valid North Carolina Driver License or a North Carolina Identification Card to register a vehicle in North Carolina as stated in N.C. General Statute 20-52(a).

Valid driver licenses from other states may be accepted for vehicle registrations with documentation of the following:

Military active duty stationed in N.C.;

College enrollment in an N.C. school;

Vehicle garaged in N.C. for a minimum of 6 months each year;

Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;

Vehicle is co-owned;

Registration for a motor home;

Documented medical condition

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 24,921 times
My husband and I bought a second home in Fla two years ago. This past spring we both go our Fla drivers license so that we could be able to take advantage of Fla resident discounts on parks, etc... We did not have a problem getting the license. The Fla DMV did however snip the ends of our NC lic and gave them back to us. Several months passed without indicent and then recently our NC insurance company called us to say that my NC driver's license had expired ( I knew it was expiring) and that I would have to be taken off of our NC insurance unless I had a NC drivers license. They said the DMV had sent them a memo. We did not want to register our vehicles in Fla since we don't know if that will become permanet for us so we had to go to the DMV in NC and renew our license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: