Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 PM

40 posts, read 177,564 times

Advertisements

Whats with all the questions asking about is North Carolina southern?

Honestly, take a ride threw any small town in North Carolina outside of Charlotte or Raleigh then answer that question yourself.

I don't get angered at people asking these questions, but it is kind of the same as asking a question such as "Is new york northern?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
It might just be an honest question from a person who might think NORTH Carolina is north, but SOUTH Carolina is southern. Give them the benefit of the doubt !

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It might just be an honest question from a person who might think NORTH Carolina is north, but SOUTH Carolina is southern. Give them the benefit of the doubt !
No, it has nothing to do with that. Usually it comes from someone who's spent a tiny bit of time in Cary or Mooresville or some other heavy transplant area and think the entire state of 9 million is just like that. Yes, there are POCKETS of places in NC that might as well be Long Island, New Jersey, or what-have-you, but the state as a whole is still predominantly (not even by a small margin) rural or semi-rural or "urban South".

The name "North Carolina" has nothing to do with it, Ms. Arizona.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM

272 posts, read 786,449 times
I moved to rural NC because the people are friendly and the land is beautiful. It's some of the best countryside you'll find in America, and you don't have to be a multimillionaire to live here to enjoy it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
And then there are the people who know what rural and country are...
but get mixed up when they try to fit "southern" into that.

You don't have to be southern to be country...
and you don't have to be country to be southern.
You can be urban and southern too...
and you can even be southern and urbane.

hth

Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
Whats with all the questions asking about is North Carolina southern?

Honestly, take a ride threw any small town in North Carolina outside of Charlotte or Raleigh then answer that question yourself.

I don't get angered at people asking these questions, but it is kind of the same as asking a question such as "Is new york northern?"
Well, I don't consider NY, if you are referring to NYC, to be typical of the North.

I live on the Charlotte side of the same county that you live in. My side is different than your side, but you've mentioned that in a previous thread.

Some of the questioning, in my opinion, comes from the fact that the schools haven't taught proper geography classes in over a generation. Even at that, there are people who are expecting Gone with the Wind who move to the Piedmont & don't see the difference that they expected.

Also, keep in mind if you are looking for difference you will surely find it. If you are looking for similarity, you will find that too. North Carolina is not the Deep South, which is not in question.

North Carolina is different enough that when I had geography class (I'm a baby boomer), we were taught that the MidAtlantic was PA, NJ, DE, MD & VA, & that sometimes NY (minus NYC) & sometimes NC were included.

Is NC in the South? Yes. Can you make an arguement for the MidAtlantic? Yes. Are some parts more southern & some parts more northern? Bingo! That's what raises the question.

Here's a personal example for you. 2 weeks ago my sister & brother-in-law came down from South Jersey. They spent time in Salisbury, Kings Mountain, Shelby, Gastonia, & Belmont. They volunteered that they saw little difference (They live in a small town). Then they went to Gainesville, GA to see his brother. After they got home my sister told me that they saw more difference from NC to GA than from South Jersey to NC. Can you get a different result if you use different places? Of course you can.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM

351 posts, read 632,663 times
For starters, there are so many northerners here now, that'll throw your southerness out of kilter in a heartbeat.

But these folks who ask this are the same who ask the other silly questions.

"We're an interracial couple. Will such-and-such area be friendly to us?"

"I'm a gay male. Should I relocate to NC from Vermont?"

"I'm a black student in Massachusetts thinking about moving to NC. But am concerned about all the racism down there."

If you move here and act like you're owed something for what you are, you might be disappointed. If you come here and act like a productive member of the society who follows the "Golden Rule", you may find you'll like this place.

.... and quit watching so much danged TV.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM

42 posts, read 92,798 times

This is a map of the United States. The section that is shaded red is The South. North Carolina is one of the states that are shaded red. Put 2 and 2 together.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 AM

467 posts, read 713,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post

This is a map of the United States. The section that is shaded red is The South. North Carolina is one of the states that are shaded red. Put 2 and 2 together.
Be prepared to realize that you may stir up an argument later on regarding South Florida not being southern at all or Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey are slightly shaded in. Perhaps also that only half or less of OK and TX are shaded in.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM

62 posts, read 159,575 times
In my opinion you can't make an argument that NC is mid-atlantic at all considering the middle point between the northern tip of maine, and the southern tip of florida falls right in the middle of virginia. NC is geographically in the southeast, theres no argument about it. On top of that most, if not all, major government agencies classify NC in the southeast usa. As does NOAA, NWS, Weather channel. NC is also classified in the southeast category for climate aswell.

Ever heard of the northeast megalopolis/northeast corridor? Theres an equivalent one in the southeast that runs from alabama to raleigh called the Piedmont Atlantic Megalopolis.

And NC's southerness (culturally speaking) shouldnt be questioned at all, you can go just about anywhere and here that carolina southern drawl. Take a drive down I-95 from the VA/NC border on down to the SC/NC border and you will see nothing but farmland on your left and your right the entire way down. You wouldn't know the difference if you were in the northern part of the state or the southern part (something that cant be said for virginia, considering southern virginia is night and day different from northern virginia).

Virginia is definitely the transition state, or gateway state if you will. Theres no question at all that when you cross over into NC that not only are you in the south, but you've BEEN in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina