Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:28 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I think before the Civil War most every American put State, Region, Country in that order. I didn't realize it was still mostly that way? Guess I'm educating myself.
You are absolutely right, Waterboy. This was the thinking of much of the nation before the Civil War and it is still the thinking of many, many Southerners 140 years later.

I think that some regional differences in allegiance can be attributed to immigration or lack thereof. I'd venture to say that the majority of northerners are from "new" immigrant families (since the turn of the century) and thus have an allegiance to the US and not a particular state or region. Many, if not most, people in the South are from older immigrant families (pre Civil War) though this is changing.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 PM

219 posts, read 852,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Can you be a true believer in the United States of America and still show animosity towards people from other US states? Could the resentment towards the newcomers be considered unpatriotic?
I don't know how you can equate fellings towards "newcomers" as being patriotic. Are you looking for prejudice perhaps?
Guess I look at patriotism a little different.
I have a brother in law who lives in PA and I have a LOT OF ANIMOSITY towards him. I have a lot of animosity towards the two goofs from Texas who moved down the street.
My wife has a LOT of animosity towards me for what I did a couple weeks ago.
I just don't think that hatred or dislike for a particular person or group of people makes anyone less patriotic.
I think the people in NC are no different than those in Montana or Maine. They aren't too happy with folks who act like ......... well ............ I can't think of a word that really fits or I can put on this forum.
Dennis/Woodlynne NJ

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,394 times
From the outside this nation looks like the United States; but from the inside it can seem like the Divided States.

I had the perception that the vast majority of Americans would place nation first, region second and state third. It is interesting to discover that the loyalties lie in the reverse order for some, maybe many, citizens.

Prior to living in the US I had heard jokes about California, Texas and Florida breaking off from the union... Now I am wondering if the citizens of each state dream of independence from each other.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM

219 posts, read 852,967 times
Quote:
From the outside this nation looks like the United States; but from the inside it can seem like the Divided States.

I had the perception that the vast majority of Americans would place nation first, region second and state third. It is interesting to discover that the loyalties lie in the reverse order for some, maybe many, citizens.

Prior to living in the US I had heard jokes about California, Texas and Florida breaking off from the union... Now I am wondering if the citizens of each state dream of independence from each other.
Snow
Having served in the military and being stationed and traveled in the south I found that the most courteous and patriotic folks were and are southerners.
The was during the Viet Nam war.
Everybody has a soft spot and thinks their area or state is the best. That is natural.
When it comes the United States, I think the American people be they southern, northern, eastern and western proved their patriotism when the World was at war. Their dedication and sacrifice for their country and their warriors is without question. Male and female young and old.
Guess it is sort of like the saying...........I can say anything about...my brother but don't anybody say anything bad about him.
I take it you are not born here from your statement. You have a lot to learn about America and Americans.
Thank you very much.
Hoorah

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,817 times
Quote:
Puh-leeze....South Carolina and Alabama would secede before California or Florida.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM

112 posts, read 258,120 times
Quote:

Snowpea, I can see how you might think that. I do not know if I necessarily want independence from other states. I just do not want NC to become little New York/Jersey. If you do not mind me asking, where are you from originally?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Puh-leeze....South Carolina and Alabama would secede before California or Florida.
Isn't Vermont trying to do that now?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
You are absolutely right, Waterboy. This was the thinking of much of the nation before the Civil War and it is still the thinking of many, many Southerners 140 years later.
The north may have won the war. IMHO, it never really won the peace.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
The north may have won the war. IMHO, it never really won the peace.
With almost 200,000 killed in that war there were not a lot of winners.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
Isn't Vermont trying to do that now?
Not just Vermont. List of U.S. state secession proposals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina