Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

Now Playing: War - Why Can't We Be Friends

Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Let's keep this civil...we've done a good job so far. I know the moderators have had to have been watching this one but no one has said anything yet...let's keep it that way, please. Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 PM

190 posts, read 575,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
Citrusfruit,

1. Yes, I broke the law.
2. Yes, I held up another person.
3. New Jersey license plate on the car, sort of, tipped me off that the person was yankee, and yes, we had passed each other, etc. along the way.
4. This incident did not make me a better person. You said that (thanks by the way), not me.
Nah, actually I'm not saying you are or aren't. The petty "point" making kinda turns me off, though. Although, keep in mind even though they had Jersey tags, it may have been a Southerner driving a visiting relative's car. Just a thought.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
That very well may have been the case. We'll never know for sure but really it doesn't matter now. I was just giving one example of the stereotype. On the other hand, we have our own bad drivers down here as well.....you know, with all the NASCAR wannabes out there.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
On the other hand, we have our own bad drivers down here as well.....you know, with all the NASCAR wannabes out there.
Oh heavens...now THAT is one thing I can agree with you about...

Old 08-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1996 View Post
Southerns don't mean to be prejudiced, but we are a very close knit group of people. They stick together. And in some ways, you have to prove your self worth to them.
As if southerners are so much more higher and mightier that northerners have to "prove yourself worth to them".

See it's little things like that that winds up stirring up the north/south crap because that comment shows, at heart, that northerners really aren't equal (or at least at first). So in essence what you're saying southerners actually are prejudiced, just under the guise of they "don't mean to be". Congratulations. You get the award for most ignorant post of the year.

And you wonder why this question frequently gets asked.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1996 View Post
Southerns don't mean to be prejudiced, but we are a very close knit group of people. They stick together. And in some ways, you have to prove your self worth to them.
As if southerners are so much more higher and mightier that northerners have to "prove yourself worth to them".

See it's little things like that that winds up stirring up the north/south crap because that comment shows, at heart, that northerners really aren't equal (or at least at first). So in essence what you're saying southerners actually are prejudiced, just under the guise of they "don't mean to be".

And you wonder why this question frequently gets asked.
Southerners are unique in American history. We are the only group of people to have been subjected to the same treatment as a conquered country. My great grandfather lived thru that. If his family and his friends had not stuck together, they would not have survived.

My husband's family is from an area up around Yancey County, NC and Unicoi County, TN (read VERY poor Appalachia esp back in the late 1800's to 1960's). I don't know how much you know about that area, but even we are seen as outsiders there and we are family. WE would have to prove ourselves.

I know there are other sections of the country that stick together...the Amish are the first ones that come to mind...you don't just go in and become a part of their villages overnight.

So is it wrong to stick together? And be a bit wary of strangers? ESP in this day and age? Being close knit isn't a crime. Regardless of where you are from. Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Maybe it's history's pendulum swinging the other way...?

*runs before the riot starts*

Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Southerners are unique in American history. We are the only group of people to have been subjected to the same treatment as a conquered country. My great grandfather lived thru that. If his family and his friends had not stuck together, they would not have survived.

My husband's family is from an area up around Yancey County, NC and Unicoi County, TN (read VERY poor Appalachia esp back in the late 1800's to 1960's). I don't know how much you know about that area, but even we are seen as outsiders there and we are family. WE would have to prove ourselves.

I know there are other sections of the country that stick together...the Amish are the first ones that come to mind...you don't just go in and become a part of their villages overnight.

So is it wrong to stick together? And be a bit wary of strangers? ESP in this day and age? Being close knit isn't a crime. Regardless of where you are from. Liz
I don't think I've come across anyone down here who was directly involved in the Civil War. We live in modern times, so really...that whole Civil War thing...it's history, over and done and really doesn't apply. I don't think any of the recent generations thinks of you guys as living in a conquered country.

Second, there's far more in common between the north and south and anywhere with the Amish. Just flip a light switch and the north and south have far more in common. That comparison's too much of a stretch.

It's not wrong to stick together but you're essentially giving the green light to a certain level of prejudice. If I used that same line on a black person I'd be slandered left and right.

I mean, what happens if I don't prove myself? Who's rules do I follow, yours? Someone elses? Can I find a copy of these rules? This is supposed to be fair? Are there any jobs that worry about what happens if you mix northerners and southerners because hey...you have to prove yourself worthy. Prove yourself worthy...well thank you so much if you let me in, I feel soooo worthy.

The ignorance and arrogance that just reeked out of storms post just irked me. To that poster, no thanks...I don't need the privilege of your worthiness.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Southerners are unique in American history. We are the only group of people to have been subjected to the same treatment as a conquered country.
::quietly whispers about Native Americans and black slaves::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina