Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Ask your self who would want a place you grew up in with great QOL that you have helped form into a great place to raise a family and some day your grand kids, turn into a free for all overcrowded ,over priced cookie cutter soul less rude enviroment that people whom lived in trailers up north sell for 300,000 and move here and act like they are above every one from here just because they lived in a over priced state and lucked out?....

um... NO

That is why we move down here- that is what happened to our towns, without our consent.
Just substitute "people who come here from other countries" for your description of "People whom lived in trailers up north"

Also, BTW, you don't get many people who lived in trailers & "lucked out"- the people up north who are poor tend to live in apartments that they do not own.
The people who can come down here are the ones savvy (or perhaps lucky) enough to have held on to their equity instead of borrowing against it. The ones who did that are stuck up north with houses worth less that the mortgages on them.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
This is simply not true. We bought a 10 y/o home in Raleigh, then the owner of that house bought a bigger new home in a cheaper section of the city. She is an NC native BTW. So most people selling those "older" homes will turn around a by a brand new house when their home sells.

Tell me what the difference is, if I just bought the new home to begin with and the other person just decided to stay in their old home. There is none...
That's like saying "my husband is a democrat, and I am a republican so our votes will just cancel each other out - therefore we don't vote" - geez.

I am sure there are natives who have bought new homes too, HOWEVER, the huge influx of newcomers with more money in their pockets from overinflated houses they sold in California or New Jersey is what is driving all this development - that is what we hate to see happening.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM

331 posts, read 1,127,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Exactly. If everyone buys an exisitng home (and there are plenty), there is no demand for new development.
[sarcasm]Please, tell me where these vacant homes are located. I would like to purchase one.[/sarcasm]

Come on, groove, think about what you are writing. If the population of Charlotte grows by say 20% due to migration and every family wants a single family home then new homes must be built to accomodate the new population. Some people will opt for an existing home but those people are just displacing the current residents.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 91,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Would you rather pay $400K + to live in 700 square feet (or less) of condo space, or would you rather spend less than that to own a single family home? For us, the answer is clear... and that's part of the reason we decided to relocate.

Honestly, we aren't trying to step on anyone's toes here... really, we aren't...
Thank you. Very well said.

We see an opportunity and a chance of home ownership that we will never have up North. Let's put it this way - In Long Island, the only way a middle class young person has of ever owning a decent place is to wait for his parents to die and hope they leave him some equity. That is NO WAY to live and part of the reason so many people are running out of here.

Personally I am not looking to "change" anyone. I am just looking for a more affordable place to live. If the natives are going to be immediately prejudiced against me than they can only expect the same treatment back. Sorry if my "new found wealth" (some equity) initimidates people.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Now that you put that way I understand his point. Still, it isn't as if new homes are going up while existing homes are sitting vacant. Purchasing any single family home contributes to sprawl. If a person really wants to combat sprawl then greater density is the only option but not many people want to live like that (certainly not me). Density is the very things that most transplants are trying to escape.
Greater density usually leads to more traffic congestion, which is negative, among other negatives. Cramming 5x as many people into one area where only one or no people should be greatly taxes infrastructure.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
FWIW, not all of us come down here with a huge amount of cash to plunk down on a home, though I can see how it may seem that way.

We hope to someday contribute and give back to our new community to help make sure that the QOL continues to be good and strong, for everyone. We can do that by volunteering, having good jobs that contribute to the local economy, and just being responsible citizens. We don't want to take anything away from anybody else.

But let me pose a question to you...

Would you rather pay $400K + to live in 700 square feet (or less) of condo space, or would you rather spend less than that to own a single family home? For us, the answer is clear... and that's part of the reason we decided to relocate.

Honestly, we aren't trying to step on anyone's toes here... really, we aren't...

I appreciate your thoughts, I really do. It is the American dream after all to own your own home. It's just a sad reality that with so many people coming here for that purpose, the folks that have always been here are being priced out more and more and can no longer afford to live in their home town.

In addition, it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
[sarcasm]Please, tell me where these vacant homes are located. I would like to purchase one.[/sarcasm]

Come on, groove, think about what you are writing. If the population of Charlotte grows by say 20% due to migration and every family wants a single family home then new homes must be built to accomodate the new population. Some people will opt for an existing home but those people are just displacing the current residents.
Or Charlotte could go the way of other locales and halt development, but there is too much $ at stake. What I am saying is you halt the new development, Charlotte will not grow by 20% (which is where a lot of the problems lie).

Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfNY View Post
Thank you. Very well said.

We see an opportunity and a chance of home ownership that we will never have up North. Let's put it this way - In Long Island, the only way a middle class young person has of ever owning a decent place is to wait for his parents to die and hope they leave him some equity. That is NO WAY to live and part of the reason so many people are running out of here.

Personally I am not looking to "change" anyone. I am just looking for a more affordable place to live. If the natives are going to be immediately prejudiced against me than they can only expect the same treatment back. Sorry if my "new found wealth" (some equity) initimidates people.
You just proved my point in my last post

"it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us."

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
In addition, it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us.
Quote:
I am just looking for a more affordable place to live. If the natives are going to be immediately prejudiced against me than they can only expect the same treatment back.
Yeah, remember, southern pride runs DEEP. The War Of Northern Aggression was not ALL that long ago, LOL. Liz

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
GetMeOutOfNY, you could at least be pretending to be moving down here for other reasons, LOL. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina