Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 91,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You just proved my point in my last post

"it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us."
I guess that was part of my original post. What exactly does it mean to "become one of you?" How different is it really?

I am just another middle class nobody trying to make a living and be proud of where I live. I am kind of a boring guy. I don't really do much and I am not some loudmouth that is going to preach how good it was back home - I am looking to leave for a reason, so why would I tell you how proud I am of NY? It is like the people from South America who run barefoot through the jungles to get here - and then fly their native flags on their car. I don't get it.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
What exactly does it mean to "become one of you?" How different is it really?
See my post on page 2. Liz

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
In addition, it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us.

Yeah, well, they are in for a shock, arent' they?

Because after a few years the kids consider themselves southern.
I know 2 of my cousins, who moved here 20 years ago, both married southerners.
My kids, after 1 year, have picked up many southern expressions & manners. (Mind you, my mother does not see this as a southern trait, but as an old fashioned one, that is most welcome!)
So, anyone looking for a cheap house better be ready for a new life, because moving to a different region of the country is a true change.
I suspect that those who wanted this change are happier than those who were just looking for the deal on the house.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Greater density usually leads to more traffic congestion, which is negative, among other negatives. Cramming 5x as many people into one area where only one or no people should be greatly taxes infrastructure.
However, density means that people can often walk or ride a bike instead of a car. Or even, gasp, use public transportation because they don't have to walk 2 miles to the nearest bus/train stop. Well planned density does not automatically mean more traffic congestion.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts, I really do. It is the American dream after all to own your own home. It's just a sad reality that with so many people coming here for that purpose, the folks that have always been here are being priced out more and more and can no longer afford to live in their home town.

In addition, it is a bit of a sore point for those of us who love it here - who are so proud to be southerners, that newcomers aren't shy about letting us know they are only here for our cheap housing - not here because they want to really be among us, or God forbid, become one of us.
I do apologize if you took my post as the only reason I want to be here is because of more affordable housing... that's not true... though I would be dishonest if I didn't say that the cost of living didn't play a part in our decision to relocate.

There are many wonderful things about NC... and after being here for only 6 months I can't claim to be an expert on them. I will say that we've enjoyed our one weekend in the mountains... and our one visit to the beach. My husband is becoming something of a 'cue addict. We are slowly getting over to the museums to learn about our newly adopted state's history and culture, and we will look forward to learning more about NC in the future.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM

22 posts, read 91,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
See my post on page 2. Liz
That's it? If that's all it takes, where is the argument? NC here I come!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I do apologize if you took my post as the only reason I want to be here is because of more affordable housing... that's not true... though I would be dishonest if I didn't say that the cost of living didn't play a part in our decision to relocate.

There are many wonderful things about NC... and after being here for only 6 months I can't claim to be an expert on them. I will say that we've enjoyed our one weekend in the mountains... and our one visit to the beach. My husband is becoming something of a 'cue addict. We are slowly getting over to the museums to learn about our newly adopted state's history and culture, and we will look forward to learning more about NC in the future.
No problem, thanks for explaining though

I am so glad to hear you are enjoying your new home - your attitude is like a breath of fresh air!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfNY View Post
That's it? If that's all it takes, where is the argument? NC here I come!
Yep, that's it See, it's really not that complicated. Folks in the south are really very welcoming.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Y'all newcomers need to take a lesson from me (grin):
- I moved here years and years ago from the west.
- I quickly learned that talking about how great it was where I was from is not only arrogant and rude, but completely pathetic. Well-bred people don't do that. If everything was so great where you came from you would not have left, and we are always free to go back.
- Don't act like you are superior, and "saving" the NC economy by coming here. We appreciate the contribution but again, save the arrogance.
- I learned to appreciate what is available to me here and enjoy the things that are not available when I am in places where they are more common (during my travels). Being gracious and grateful for all we have and enjoying life here (instead of pineing for a freakin' bagel or pizza) makes life much richer and more enjoyable.
- PARTICIPATE in your community. Do you have any idea how many ways there are to volunteer and give back? Join clubs for social purposes. Start a wine-and-dine club. You are not the Queen, no one is going to knock down your door to be your friend.

These tips brought to you by a transplant who now wishes they had been southern-born.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 AM

331 posts, read 1,127,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
The people who can come down here are the ones savvy (or perhaps lucky) enough to have held on to their equity instead of borrowing against it. The ones who did that are stuck up north with houses worth less that the mortgages on them.
I think that NC Man overstated the case a bit but he is not the only person to observe the phenomenon of low rent people selling their home in the northeast and moving into high rent neighborhoods in the south.

Look at it this way; I am an upper middle class guy but could go to Mexico and live among the nation's elite but that doesn't mean that I would fit in with a bunch of people who have lived a life of wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina