Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times

Advertisements

Dave, give people like jeannie a break...sounds like she and her family are coming in with the right frame of mind.

We can't stop the influx...but at least it's nice to see that the ones coming in are trying to not change us too much. Granted that just the sheer numbers will change us but that can happen just from us growing anyway and not from the influx of people but from us having more of our own. Would have happened much more slowly but would have happened.

Even I am a transplant to NC even tho not to the south. My husband however is just relocating back to his birth state.

Rapid growth is in MOST southern states...but to be honest, I would rather have that then what is happening to places like MI...that state is in SERIOUS trouble. Losing jobs, losing people, and it's almost to the point of "last one out, remember to turn off the light". Which would you rather have? Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,651 times
Emotions are a powerful thing....if we live by our emotions and let them control us....then we cannot grow...some of us are set in our ways, and no matter what any of us say, their way of thinking will never change...all any of us can do is live by our beliefs, try and do the right thing, try and make the right decisions, and those who will be accepting, thank you, and those who will not, then we will accept the fact that you don't....

Old 08-11-2007, 08:54 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,732 times
I agree that transplants like she describes herself are the least bad option.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I was very happy to have stumbled onto this thread because it gave me a new respect for those who have been raised in the South vs. soon to be transplants like myself. At first when I was reading many of the threads and posts on the forum, I was very taken back and offended that there were actually people that may resist our move to NC from NJ. I shared this with my husband and we were concerned that our transition, especially for our children may be more difficult than I thought. How could people be that way? But now, reading and understanding from a Southerners perspective and how all of this growth and development has and will forever change things in the South, I completely understand. My husband and I were born and raised in NJ, married almost 11 years now, with four children, 2 from my previous marriage. We bought our home up North, about 9 years ago, and since then, has been nothing but a struggle to make ends meet and try and keep a decent quality of life for our family. We just can't do it anymore. Please understand though, it is not only the financial aspect of it, it is also in the change of attitudes with everyone around us. Everyone trying to either keep up the pace or get ahead of everyone else, and it really is taking away from what really matters to us... We don't want to come down and try and change things, I promise you, we just want to enjoy what you Southerners have been able to have, and we also want to be contributing factors to it. My husband is in Dental sales and I am a Registered Nurse working with premature infants, wanting to continue our careers in NC. By selling up North, we feel that now we can really begin to slow down and enjoy life more... Life is too short....my children are growing so fast, and I believe the the Northern rat race is taking away what is important to us.... So, personally, we do respect the South, along with the resistance that may go with it, and when we make our move, we will be understanding, and embrace it...
Bravo for you, you "get" it! And really, that's all most of us southerners want - to be respected and to have our traditions respected. Welcome to NC, you will fit in just fine

Dave said "I'm sure that the Native Americans weren't happy either when my family came to NC". This is SO true and well worth remembering by everyone -very very few of us can trace our ancestory back to being in NC beyond about 300 years, we were all "newcomers" at some point If only the white man had treated the native indians with more respect...

Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dave said "I'm sure that the Native Americans weren't happy either when my family came to NC". This is SO true and well worth remembering by everyone -very very few of us can trace our ancestory back to being in NC beyond about 300 years, we were all "newcomers" at some point If only the white man had treated the native indians with more respect...
In fairness to my ancestors the didn't physically drive Native Americans off of their land. The British army did it for them and then the Lords Proprietor granted the land to my family.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 55,334 times
Maybe we really need to look at all the illegal aliens moving into NC....It's very possible the state will go broke taking care of these people who don't contribute to the system they only suck it dry...Welcome all americans who are U.S. citizens....

Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 PM

647 posts, read 2,082,998 times
Much of the "annoyed" feelings that southern folk have is not personal. We know that yankees, in general, are probably decent individuals, however, there are some things that we, in our southern culture, take pride in and would like to see preserved and, unfortunately, many of the yankee stereotypes hold true.

1. The "we're gonna show'em how it's done" type of attitude. As if yankees are so much smarter and more sophisticated. Your ways are not necessarily better, but rather, just different. Different does not =better.

2. The "get-out-of-my-way-I'm-coming-through" attitude. Don't force me to get out of your way when I'm in the grocery store or when I don't get off the line fast enough when the light turns green.
---That reminds me of a situation one time that I pulled on a yankee. He had been tailgating me because I was only going 55 in a 45 mph zone. I could see in my rearview mirror that he was waving his arms, etc. So, at the red light, he was directly behind me.....the light turned green and I just sat there (only one other car behind him) pretending to read or look for something in my car. The light turned yellow, then red...then I took off leaving him sitting there. He was not a happy yankee.

3. Being loud/rude/overly aggressive in public places. I've seen this over and over and over again and nothing is more annoying to us southern folk and nothing solidifies the yankee stereotype more than this one. Stop being so demanding in restaurants. I know that many of you all demand your "good "soi-vice" but yelling at the waitress, complaining about the wait, and demanding your cou-fee now! is not really the tactful way.

4. "Well, up north we have _____ " or "up there we do it like this"
Nothing more needs to be said about this one. Again, your way "up there" is simply that....another way of doing something. This doesn't mean that our way is wrong, merely different. Besides, last time I checked, there are some pretty screwed up places up north, so it's not all good like you all say it is. You may be used to some things being a certain way (comfort zone), but that doesn't mean it's better.

5. "We want to live in a "nice" area attitude. This isn't all bad, but just because you have $$$, you shouldn't act like it is your God-given Birthright to be among only other elite folks. One example of the south/north conflict happened to a friend of mine. As you all know, in many areas of the south, we have certain areas that have mobile homes, etc.....then just a few hunnert yards away, you'll have a very nice home. A group of retired "yankees" who lived in a nearby golf neighborhood started complaining to the county officials about the fact that there were "trailers in our area that don't look nice....we want it to be nice here".......anyway, these homeowners were trying to force the lower income "trailer trash" out so that their area would be "nice" and not polluted by the lower income locals. Our friend, who lived in one of these trailers (and is NOT trashy), was really upset about this since this is all she can afford and she doesn't feel like she deserves to be forced out.

Those are only five examples of what exactly some yankees do to annoy the natives so much (the thread topic question). Our generally laid back, slower pace of life, friendly, courteous way of living is being changed for the worse by fast-paced, overly aggressive, rude, in-your-face, it's-all-about-me, types of northern attitude. We don't want things to be like this.... and many (not everyone) of you all are contributing to the transformation of our culture turning into the very place you all tried to escape from in the first place. If you all wanted to get away from all that, why are you behaving in a manner that will basically re-create the same hell-holes that you all came from?

Again, this is only "in general" and I know that not all of ya'll are like this. I work with some very high quality yankees who totally respect the way of life and have adopted a laid back, slower pace since moving from Boston. Just respect it and make a conscious effort to adapt.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 PM

12 posts, read 38,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1996 View Post
Southerns don't mean to be prejudiced, but we are a very close knit group of people. They stick together. And in some ways, you have to prove your self worth to them. Southerns are very high in morale. They have their beliefs and the way they do things. Not to mention that North Carolina is in the middle of the bible belt.
I am about to be married to a "Yankee". My joke is our wedding theme will be the "Civil War", and the south will win this time! LOL
Here is my list of what annoys me with "yankees". Enjoy!

1.) Do not talk down to us. Do not talk slowly to us. WE can understand you, even when you do talk fast. We are not ignorant, nor do we need things spelled out. When you do that, it makes you look like an idiot.

2.) Please try to refrain from every other word coming out of your mouth having 4 letters. We do have childern, because its "normal" for you, don't mean its "normal" for them.

3.) Don't talk about our cooking, or our food. Southerns are proud of their hospitality. Try grits, try collards, try cabbage. You will be amazed at what you find that do like.

4.) NEWS FLASH!!!!...you do NOT know everything.

5.) Please don't honk your horn at us, if we are going to slow for you. We like taking in our beautiful scenery. By us going slow, we are trying to help you to appreciate it also.

6.) Please don't call us crazy because everytime we hear the word "snow", we run to the grocery store and stock up on bread and milk, and necessisaities. We are not use to that type of weather.

7.) Don't talk about how much where you came from was better. If it was so much better, then I would like it explained to me why you are here. If it is that bad here, you can pack up and go back where you came from.

8.) Don't brag about what you have. We could care less. It's not like you are going to be taking any of it when you pass away. Heaven don't accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express.
Not only that, but what you have can't buy you love. We are all fortunate in something one way or another. Some have money, and don't have real love. Some have no money, and are getting by on real love.

To be "accepted", there are only a few things you must do. Be cordial, and greet people. Don't be surprised if a complete strangers says hello to you at the supermarket. Try to embrace our history. "True" North Carolians are very proud of our hertiage. Scot-Irish is huge here, because most are highlander descendants. The best way to really be well aquainted with our history and become "accepted" is by joining a historical society. That will show us you want to learn about our culture.

Southerns make wonderful friends. We are caring and compassionate. We will be there for you when you need us. We will laugh with you, and cry with you. We are loyal.

And the final thing you must no matter what remember is............

Before you talk about anybody, you have to make sure you say..."Bless their heart". It makes talking about somebody right, instead of wrong.

I hope if you decide to move here, you will take these things to heart. But, also let us learn from you and your culture.
LOL....talk about stereotyping and generalizing. What an arrogant ass you sound like.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM

190 posts, read 575,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post

---That reminds me of a situation one time that I pulled on a yankee. He had been tailgating me because I was only going 55 in a 45 mph zone. I could see in my rearview mirror that he was waving his arms, etc. So, at the red light, he was directly behind me.....the light turned green and I just sat there (only one other car behind him) pretending to read or look for something in my car. The light turned yellow, then red...then I took off leaving him sitting there. He was not a happy yankee.
So you not only broke the law to prove your "point", but you also held up another person behind the "yankee" (not to mention, how did you know for sure the person WAS a yankee?) as well? And that makes you a better person how, exactly?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:09 PM

647 posts, read 2,082,998 times
Citrusfruit,

1. Yes, I broke the law.
2. Yes, I held up another person.
3. New Jersey license plate on the car, sort of, tipped me off that the person was yankee, and yes, we had passed each other, etc. along the way.
4. This incident did not make me a better person. You said that (thanks by the way), not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina