Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 PM

331 posts, read 1,127,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, fortunately for us all, America is still a free country and you have the right to live wherever people don't care about you for the rest of your life
Agreed. I will never understand why people voluntarily move somewhere and then complain about the place that they chose to move! No one twisted their arm.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,918,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I'm glad I don't have to live in a place where the norm is for people to be so caring that they don't respect a person's privacy.
We're glad too. Did you make a wrong turn on your way to the Philly board?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,025 times
This place called NC is so crowded with transplants that it is not deserving to be called North Carolina anymore. I speak of the Charlotte area including the Lake Norman area. The growth is unbelievable and goes unchecked. Roads and interstates are near impossible to drive on thanks to all the rude drivers and traffic. No, just because you got your NC drivers license doesnt make you Southern, tell me that you are from the South with a deep Joisey accent, I need the humor.

Local stores have been bought out and replaced with Trader Joes and whatever else I never heard of before a year ago.

People may want to leave the car at home and invest in roller blades so you can get past traffic easier in Huntersville and Mooresville. Youll probably save time.

Home prices and taxes are going up.

There is a feel here that this area is becoming so upscale and snobbish...and no this is not the South anymore, it is a bastion of transplants in towns that were built basically overnight. People getting home to cruise the hot muddy crowded lake known as Lake Norman.
Farms, forests, quiet living all gone.

Sorry for the rant, maybe its the 104 degree high temperature here today, but it feels good to atleast type it.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,629,138 times
I was very happy to have stumbled onto this thread because it gave me a new respect for those who have been raised in the South vs. soon to be transplants like myself. At first when I was reading many of the threads and posts on the forum, I was very taken back and offended that there were actually people that may resist our move to NC from NJ. I shared this with my husband and we were concerned that our transition, especially for our children may be more difficult than I thought. How could people be that way? But now, reading and understanding from a Southerners perspective and how all of this growth and development has and will forever change things in the South, I completely understand. My husband and I were born and raised in NJ, married almost 11 years now, with four children, 2 from my previous marriage. We bought our home up North, about 9 years ago, and since then, has been nothing but a struggle to make ends meet and try and keep a decent quality of life for our family. We just can't do it anymore. Please understand though, it is not only the financial aspect of it, it is also in the change of attitudes with everyone around us. Everyone trying to either keep up the pace or get ahead of everyone else, and it really is taking away from what really matters to us... We don't want to come down and try and change things, I promise you, we just want to enjoy what you Southerners have been able to have, and we also want to be contributing factors to it. My husband is in Dental sales and I am a Registered Nurse working with premature infants, wanting to continue our careers in NC. By selling up North, we feel that now we can really begin to slow down and enjoy life more... Life is too short....my children are growing so fast, and I believe the the Northern rat race is taking away what is important to us.... So, personally, we do respect the South, along with the resistance that may go with it, and when we make our move, we will be understanding, and embrace it...

Old 08-11-2007, 07:05 AM

34 posts, read 97,945 times
My sentiments exaclty, and good luck to you,

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
We don't want to come down and try and change things, I promise you, we just want to enjoy what you Southerners have been able to have, and we also want to be contributing factors to it.
We all understand why you want to move and I believe that you are sincere in not wanting to "change things" but the fact of the matter is that you and others like you have irrevocably changed NC no matter what your intentions.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 AM

jeannie, you sound like you are coming here with the kind of attitude that will make you prepared to make this home!! Welcome!! It sounds like you are not going to be the type that comes to NC with an attitude that is almost begrudging...like "we are only here because we have to be financially." It sounds like you are ready to embrace your new home and community, and that will make this move a success!!

On another note, I know many people working with premature infants, and a good friend is in Dental sales here, too. Since I am in a related industry, I have a good idea of what your combined income is and TRUST ME, you are going to be able to have a GREAT quality of life here.

Again, welcome!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
This place called NC is so crowded with transplants that it is not deserving to be called North Carolina anymore. I speak of the Charlotte area including the Lake Norman area. The growth is unbelievable and goes unchecked. Roads and interstates are near impossible to drive on thanks to all the rude drivers and traffic. No, just because you got your NC drivers license doesnt make you Southern, tell me that you are from the South with a deep Joisey accent, I need the humor.

Local stores have been bought out and replaced with Trader Joes and whatever else I never heard of before a year ago.

People may want to leave the car at home and invest in roller blades so you can get past traffic easier in Huntersville and Mooresville. Youll probably save time.

Home prices and taxes are going up.

There is a feel here that this area is becoming so upscale and snobbish...and no this is not the South anymore, it is a bastion of transplants in towns that were built basically overnight. People getting home to cruise the hot muddy crowded lake known as Lake Norman.
Farms, forests, quiet living all gone.

Sorry for the rant, maybe its the 104 degree high temperature here today, but it feels good to atleast type it.
This pretty much sums it up. I'll tell you one thing: I have been very tempted to move to Kentucky, as Louisville is the Charlotte of 15 years ago. I could do some RE investing and when Charlotte gets full and the trasplants flock to Louisville, I'll make a buttload of money and come back to Charlotte a rich woman. For real.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,629,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
We all understand why you want to move and I believe that you are sincere in not wanting to "change things" but the fact of the matter is that you and others like you have irrevocably changed NC no matter what your intentions.
You and others like you, well that is a pretty broad statement. Believe me, I do understand where you are coming from, but change is inevitable, everywhere and anywhere you go...and maybe, just maybe, someone coming from the North, just may bring a good change to the South... I am not trying to sell myself here, and my intentions are sincere, and I'm sure it must be easy to just say, change is not good, and I'm sure a lot of it isn't, but believe me, there are good people in the North, that if given a chance, my bring some goodness with them....just a thought.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
You and others like you, well that is a pretty broad statement.
Yes, it is broad. You and others like you = transplants. Transplants are responsible for the rapid growth that most of us are lamenting on this thread.

By the way, I'm sure that the Native Americans weren't happy either when my family came to NC.

Last edited by Dave O; 08-11-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina