Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,942 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Florida to the Greensboro area and were thinking of using PODS moving and storage since it seems so convenient. If anyone has used them for a move could respond and give their advise or experience (positive and negative) using PODS, it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
My sister and her family used POD moving from new hampshire to wake forest, nc and they had a great experience. Yes, it is a little pricey, but good none the less.

They used 2 PODS, the first came and they loaded it themselves with all of the things they woudn't need while the house was still on the market. The pod stays at your house for about 3 days to give you the chance to fill it. Then, for the second POD they hired movers to come and move all of the big stuff into the PODS. The purchased a new washer, dryer and fridgerator and had those delivered when the second POD was there so the delivery people just loaded it onto the pod. They arranged for a time for delivery in NC (the day after they closed on the house). They had movers set up to come and unload both pods for them. The only "difficulty" was that the pods can only be delivered during a specific time frame (let's say 12-2) and they had to coordinate the movers to come after the pod arrived.

She could only change the time of the pod arriving if she did it a week in advance. They really had a great experience, nothing was broken, it was all handled well.

Leigh

Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
We are also using PODS. We packed one up a year ago and actually had it for 2 weeks. You give them the pick up and delivery date. We are moving from CA to NC and it is the best for us as once we move we will be living with my bro in law while we search for a home. This way your not loading and unloading trucks and driving to storage units etc. I also didn't want movers touching my stuff. If it's broken it's our own fault. I believe the only thing you can't put in PODS are things with motors, lawn equipment, ATC's etc. We will be pulling a small rental trailer for those items. As another thread had mentioned if you plan on renting a moving truck or trailer Penske is much better over U-haul.

Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 AM

117 posts, read 416,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
We are also using PODS. We packed one up a year ago and actually had it for 2 weeks. You give them the pick up and delivery date. We are moving from CA to NC and it is the best for us as once we move we will be living with my bro in law while we search for a home. This way your not loading and unloading trucks and driving to storage units etc. I also didn't want movers touching my stuff. If it's broken it's our own fault. I believe the only thing you can't put in PODS are things with motors, lawn equipment, ATC's etc. We will be pulling a small rental trailer for those items. As another thread had mentioned if you plan on renting a moving truck or trailer Penske is much better over U-haul.

Good Luck!

How much are these PODS?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
I used PODS. They are convenient but there prices have increased dramatically in the last year due to fuel cost. I also had a problem w/ pricing. A rep. quoted me a price and I was charged $900 dollars more on my credit card. In the end, the rep. quoted me the wrong price and they did credit my card after a month.

I also used UPack. It's similar to pods but you get an entire truck but they will charge you only for the portion you use. The cost was cheaper than PODs and you will not need to get 2 and 3 PODs. I believe the truck is a 22 or 24 feet.

My experience was better with UPack than PODS.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian View Post
I used PODS. They are convenient but there prices have increased dramatically in the last year due to fuel cost. I also had a problem w/ pricing. A rep. quoted me a price and I was charged $900 dollars more on my credit card. In the end, the rep. quoted me the wrong price and they did credit my card after a month.

I also used UPack. It's similar to pods but you get an entire truck but they will charge you only for the portion you use. The cost was cheaper than PODs and you will not need to get 2 and 3 PODs. I believe the truck is a 22 or 24 feet.

My experience was better with UPack than PODS.

Thank you, I just got a quote from Upack, very reasonable!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:42 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
Upacks customer service was great. The came on time. They were very flexible about the pickup hours which were after 5:00 pm. Everything arrived the way I packed it. My rental was not ready when I arrived at my destination. They held my things a few days w/o an extra charge. I was quite happy with Upack.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:13 PM

68 posts, read 296,046 times
I also had a great experience with Upack moving from MA to NC.
They have a great operation. Very customer oriented.

Len

Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
I also had a great experience with Upack moving from MA to NC.
They have a great operation. Very customer oriented.

Len

Great!!! I'm so glad, that was one of the things I was trying to sort out whether it was worth or or not to bring my stuff. I will use them for sure.

I'm greatful for the info!!

Thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,894 times
So if uPack or PODS don't allow you to take motorized things - what has anyone done with a motorcycle? It would be about a 10 hour ride on the bike for me - which would be some seriously sore butt, but I also have 2 cars to bring. I really not looking to throw it in the back of a Penske-type of truck - but I don't own a motorcycle-specific trailer so I might be stuck trying the iron butt 10-hour ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina