U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 AM

28 posts, read 140,900 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am rather new to this site and am looking for information on Mount Airy. It seems like a nice, quiet town. I have read that "the kids will be bored". Are there any organized sports in the summer? Little league, soccer? Are there sports teams in the school system? What can you tell me about the school systems besides the stats I can get on the internet? Any info you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 01:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,092,952 times
I have no ideas about activities for small kids, but it's when they hit the teens you should be very concerned about.

Small towns in NC tend to have teens that get in even more trouble than those in the cities. I grew up on the edge of Winston-Salem, and we'd very often see on the weekends these trucks and jeeps of guys and gals from Mt.Airy that would Speed down US52 (like 80mph) down to Winston to do all their hanging out and getting in trouble. They'd do things that us who lived there usually didn't, because it was their "escape" to getaway from the small town. (It wasn't just Mt.Airy teens...Yadkinville, Mocksville, and others from Northwestern NC all flocked there.) Pregnant girls hanging out of the back of a pickup truck smoking, guys playing games with their knives...all hanging out at the Walmart parking lot or a fast food joint or movie theatre.
Ah....redneck town teenagers. Definitely a staple of small town NC no doubt about it.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Mount Airy something to think about

Thanks Raleigh Rob for your perspective on small town living. I guess I had not thought of it in that way. You have given us more to think about. It seems like maybe Mooresville might be a better option for us. We will be visiting in early October. Does anyone have any thoughts on "must see" things in that area? Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 PM

60 posts, read 290,489 times
I went to high school in that area, Pilot Mountain to be exact (although my mailing address was Mt. Airy). There is not much for kids to do. I was bored a lot as a high schooler. If your kids don't / can't have a car, it will be torture as everything is very spread out.

The schools are very into sports, at least mine was. They aren't large so it's great if your kids are decent at their sport but not a star...they'll still probably get to play.

The scenery is one of the few saving graces of the area. With Pilot Mountain so close, you always have a good mountain view. It's a great area for hiking and camping as well if you are into that.

Otherwise there isn't a lot of varied culture in the area. The downtown Mt Airy area is nice and quaint, but you will run out of things to do quickly. As for the kids, the most popular thing to do when I was in high school was to "cruise" highway 601, basically showing off their cars and finding creative ways to get in trouble.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks for your input opstand! We have decided that Mt. Airy is probably a little too small for us. We are now focusing our search towards the Mooresville, Huntersville, Cornelius areas. Any input on those areas would be appreciated! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina