Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,288 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been contributing to this plan for several years. Needless to say, I think if I had been putting my money in my mattress, I would have more than in my account. I know that the economy has been bad but my tsp performance over the past year has been great! Has anyone changed plans to another state's plan? Your thoughts or experience would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:51 AM

305 posts, read 761,441 times
Huh, that's interesting, I was just saying the other day how happy I am with how our 529 plan has been doing this year. Which fund are you in? We're in the Vanguard V Fund Aggressive Track (Fund 1) and it's up 5% for the year. I'm sure there are things that might have done better in the same period of time, but that's certainly better than a CD (or my mattress).

Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
Hi All,

I have been contributing to this plan for several years. Needless to say, I think if I had been putting my money in my mattress, I would have more than in my account. I know that the economy has been bad but my tsp performance over the past year has been great! Has anyone changed plans to another state's plan? Your thoughts or experience would really be appreciated.
I am in the withdrawal phase now, but have been happy with the plan. It is not so much the plan, but how you have your contributions invested - same as with any investment portfolio.

You have been deducting the contributions on your state income tax form haven't you? If you want to switch, here is a link to Clark's 529 guide = Clark's 529 Guide | www.clarkhoward.com

Old 07-16-2011, 01:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I don't have the NC 529 plan (we make too much for the tax deduction). I have mine through USAA, which uses the Nevada plan. I've lost money over the last few months (only had it for about 6 months now), but I'm sure things will be much better for me over the next 16 years than if I just put it under my matress every month.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:22 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I had a 529 plan that I used when I went to college several years ago and it only ended up paying like 45 dollars a credit hour. My parents purchased it in the early 90's though when college wasn't ungodly amounts so they thought they were getting a deal. It was pretty much worthless. I had scholarships worth more. My parents agree they wish they had known better and invested it somewhere else. I image there are better 529's out there, but you have to do your research and look really hard for them.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't have the NC 529 plan (we make too much for the tax deduction). I have mine through USAA, which uses the Nevada plan. I've lost money over the last few months (only had it for about 6 months now), but I'm sure things will be much better for me over the next 16 years than if I just put it under my matress every month.
I didn't think there was an income limit on the NC 529 plan. What is the max you can make to take the deduction?

Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I didn't think there was an income limit on the NC 529 plan. What is the max you can make to take the deduction?
You know what, you're exactly right. When we set it up earlier this year I purposely went away from the NC plan because in 2012 the tax deduction was set to expire for joint filiers that make over $100k. I just researched it and found out that they have now continued the tax deduction regardless of income. NC 529 Plan Income Tax Deduction Continues : North Carolina Estate Planning Blog.

Either way, the Nevada plan has done much better than the NC plan since inception, so I'm not upset at the $200-$300 a year that I can get back in taxes if I think I can get more than that in gains. Time will tell.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention though.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I had a 529 plan that I used when I went to college several years ago and it only ended up paying like 45 dollars a credit hour. My parents purchased it in the early 90's though when college wasn't ungodly amounts so they thought they were getting a deal. It was pretty much worthless. I had scholarships worth more. My parents agree they wish they had known better and invested it somewhere else. I image there are better 529's out there, but you have to do your research and look really hard for them.
Not sure I understand this - you don't purchase a 529 plan. It is a "bucket" to hold investments, just like an IRA. The amount that it "pays out" is based on how much you contribute and performance of your investments. The advantage to a 529 plan is that all earnings are tax free if used for educational purposes. There are other options such as a Coverdale, but a 529 is usually the best way to save for college.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Either way, the Nevada plan has done much better than the NC plan since inception, so I'm not upset at the $200-$300 a year that I can get back in taxes if I think I can get more than that in gains. Time will tell.
From what I saw, Nevada uses Vanguard funds as does the NC plan. Do they offer different funds than the NC plan? With the state income tax deduction, you are getting ~5% gain on your money right off the bat. I would think the performance of Vanguard funds in each plan would be roughly similar, so it seems it would be very hard for the NC plan not to be a better option (for NC residents taking the tax deduction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina