Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,961 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My wife and I just returned from a nice vacation in Ocean Isle. We were impressed by the surrounding area and the (mostly) friendly people. I am an avid golfer and was able to play just about every day. We are considering a more in depth look at the area as a retirement location and would be interested in any feedback from anyone familiar with the area.

I will probably retire within the next 4 to 5 years with a pretty good retirement income ($60 - $80k) and we have two homes that we would probably sell prior to relocating. We really liked Ocean Ridge Plantation (3 great golf courses there!) but obviously are not wedded to that particular location. We spoke to a few employees at the course there and to some of the residents (most who have located from the north) and they all loved the area. I would probably try to work a few days a week at one of the courses or somewhere low stress and volunteer at a local school or other community enterprise.

For what its worth we're African American and noticed very few African Americans while on vacation. This is not a big deal and I don't anticipate any cross-burnings or overt racism but I would be interested if this might be an issue. Sometimes the little things (e.g., getting hair cuts, etc.) can be determinative in these types of decisions. As I mentioned above, we were treated well and met very friendly folks during our stay. I met a couple of folks at the course who were a little "cool" but no big deal.

Just curious if anyone can give us any help and information.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
The African-American population distribution is not uniform across North Carolina. Brunswick County is around 85% White. For reference, St. Mary's County, MD is 82% White.

Race is not much of the conflict it was 40+ years ago, but like anywhere else in the U.S. we still have some wackos on both sides. You should be fine.

http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Population/Images/popfg19L.gif (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 09-02-2006 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,003,465 times
My in-laws live just outside of ocean isle (they moved from fayetteville, to sunset beach, now near ocean isle). I think it is a great location for a couple of reason, one you already stated, GOLF!! "locals" get discounts during the year, if they play during the week. And playing courses regularly will certainly be in your favor. It is very close to myrtle beach, which is wonderful, but more wonderful when it is not the height of tourist season.

As far as diversity, I haven't noticed much while visiting them. Sad to say, in my opinion. I definitely believe that more people are moving there to retire (as opposed to families moving there), but I think areas like the triangle and the triad are more diverse. This is not to say that I think people will not be welcoming, I just think the typical retirement communities on the coast (especially outside of wilmington/wrightsville beach) are not going to be hughly diverse. I also think (based on my in laws) by the end of the summer most of the "natives" are tired of tourists! They may have thought you were just another tourist on "their" golf course!!!!!

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. My FIL used to play golf, but because of some medical issues (diabetes) he cannot. My MIL plays bingo. They did used to go out on the "gambling boat" that left from south carolina.........they loved that. Can you get a picture of them already????

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina