Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM

31 posts, read 60,329 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I will be moving within the next few months. We are having a hard time choosing a town...especially since the only research we're doing is online. We have 2 little ones and a small dog. My husband will be working from home and I will most likely be searching for employment in a near-by hospital. What we're looking for is a nice town with lots of charm and friendly people, safe neighborhoods and schools, something in the mountains or foothills, NO subdivisions, something a little bit more private yet close by to a downtown. A town where folks like to take walks and have the ability to access a fitness center, family owned restaurants, parks, trails and maybe even a movie theatre. We may be asking for a lot but I don't doubt NC has that and much more to offer. We're excited about raising our children in a different ambiance. Any insights are greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,726,994 times
What has put NC in your sights in the first place? That's a good place to start--why did you choose NC over other states, if he can work anywhere? If we now what traits you are most looking for that you believe NC has, we can steer you towards the places most like that (and I know you have given a lot of description, but many states have places like you describe...so what specifically about NC are you looking for?)

Have you ever even visited NC?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,246,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ely1737 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I will be moving within the next few months. We are having a hard time choosing a town...especially since the only research we're doing is online. We have 2 little ones and a small dog. My husband will be working from home and I will most likely be searching for employment in a near-by hospital. What we're looking for is a nice town with lots of charm and friendly people, safe neighborhoods and schools, something in the mountains or foothills, NO subdivisions, something a little bit more private yet close by to a downtown. A town where folks like to take walks and have the ability to access a fitness center, family owned restaurants, parks, trails and maybe even a movie theatre. We may be asking for a lot but I don't doubt NC has that and much more to offer. We're excited about raising our children in a different ambiance. Any insights are greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance!!
Maybe Morganton. Search for other threads that discuss it.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,795,586 times
Morganton is probably a good start. Nearly every county has a hospital, so I'd start your search with the towns that have hospitals, and stick with counties close to the mountains.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,795,586 times
Try Mt. Airy (the model for Andy Griffiths Mayberry), or Wilkesboro if you like really small towns.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times
With a few more details, advise would be easier to come by. As said, every county has a hospital or some have more. Weather? Proximity to store, dining, nightlife, water, SNOW, or ??

NC is rather big when you look at the whole state.

Lots of folks from Florida seem to land in Asheville.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
I live in Florida and have been researching a move also. You might look into Brevard, which is outside of Hendersonville and 30 miles from Asheville.

Fast Facts
Land of Waterfalls | Downtown Brevard (http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/arts-and-culture/downtown-brevard.html - broken link)
Welcome to Heart of Brevard in Brevard, North Carolina

Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 60,329 times
Hello...thanks 2 all that replied! I have been to NC many years ago..my family and I had driven by on our way to Tennesse to go white water rafting- lots of fun!! I chose NC because my husband has a cousin that lives in Charlotte and he happens to work in the same field as myself so I figured that was a good start. Actually my options are between NC and GA. Both are still close to Florida which is good in case I want to come visit my nieces and nephews. I've been trying to research Morganton, MT Ary and Brevard but can't find many pictures or video tours of the towns online. Anyone have any ideas where I can find some photos of the towns. We're planning on visiting in about 3 weeks so I'm very excited to see them first hand. Do these towns offer rental properties?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,726,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ely1737 View Post
Hello...thanks 2 all that replied! I have been to NC many years ago..my family and I had driven by on our way to Tennesse to go white water rafting- lots of fun!! I chose NC because my husband has a cousin that lives in Charlotte and he happens to work in the same field as myself so I figured that was a good start. Actually my options are between NC and GA. Both are still close to Florida which is good in case I want to come visit my nieces and nephews. I've been trying to research Morganton, MT Ary and Brevard but can't find many pictures or video tours of the towns online. Anyone have any ideas where I can find some photos of the towns.
Every town has a web page/Chamber of Commerce, which should have photos--have you Googled the towns?

Also, City-Data itself has little "capsules" of most cities and towns.

Here you can click on all 3 towns you asked about.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Another great tool is Google Street View. Go to Google Maps Google Maps and type in the name of the town in the search bar. Click on the red "A" that pops up in the middle of the map, then click on "Street View" which will open up a picture of that particular street in the center of town. In the lower right corner will be a small box which you can click to expand. Then simply click on the "+" sign on the left side to zoom in. Then click on the "little man" icon. Streets that Google has taken pictures of will highlight in blue. Simply move your "little man" up and down those streets and the larger part of the screen will change to those particular street views. You'll be able to pan left and right as well as up and down to see the buildings, homes, etc. It's a great way to do some investigating. Have fun with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina