Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM

8 posts, read 16,709 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this thread, all good info. I'm considering re-locating down to the Charlotte area someday(hopefully sooner than later), and since I "collect" cars(old & new), this is important info for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee6970 View Post
Thanks for this thread, all good info. I'm considering re-locating down to the Charlotte area someday(hopefully sooner than later), and since I "collect" cars(old & new), this is important info for me....
This area is great for car lovers.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,709 times
Good to hear. Right now I'm doing a little long distance "window-shopping". Looking for a small home with a big garage(or room to build one)...

Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
As a former state inspector I might add that the entire purpose of a safety inspection is to try and keep people from driving cars that can be factor in a wreck. Who wants their child ran over because the person couldnt stop his car because of failing brakes? For those who say having their car inspected is a waste of time dont forget if you are involved in an accident THE CONDITION OF YOUR CAR is something the lawyers on the other team can and will consider .
The philosophy is of a safety inpection is bunk. A 15 min skim over a car will prevent very little if any accidents. Regular maintenance goes much further with capturing potential issues.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 15,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yes. It will fail the emissions visual inspection. I can't tell you how to get around this because it would break state and federal law, but what they don't see, they don't fail.
thanks for the info. Thats what i thought too. Seems odd that they fail it though it is not OBDII. Oh well...

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 36,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Car inspector? What is that?

And what is the real purpose of a vehicle inspection and who is getting the money?

It is quite obvious that they are not a safety inspection.

The brakes are not visually inspected
The front end is not visually inspected
The wheel bearings are not physically checked
Chasis mount, engine mounts etc nada.

Oh, but lets check emissions? Why is that? Give me a break.

Vechile inspections are a joke, we all know it. they tab yes down the list without checking a thing.

So why do we pay for these and where is the money is really going?
Response: Cars are suppose to be lifted and inspected. The quality of inspection depends on the inspector.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,600 times
Ok, got a big question, I am in a strange situation!

Long story short:

Got a truck 9 months ago that wouldn't run, forget passing an inspection. I finally got it up and going (did all the work myself) about 2 weeks ago. Ready to get it inspected, I went to the DMV to get the 10 day permit since I don't have a tag for the truck. After getting the 10 day permit I drove the truck around for the rest of the day to classes (didn't have time to get it inspected that day, busy college student).

I was planning on getting it inspected the next day, but on my way home, the truck sprang an awful oil leak (1/2 qt. in 10 miles). Well, I didn't get the oil leak fixed until my 10 day permit was up. I'm ready to get the truck inspected, but the DMV says they can't give me another 10 day permit.

What am I to do? Is there something else I can get? Kind of between a rock and a hard place here. I only need to drive the truck 10 miles to the inspection station, and maybe 5 more to the DMV.

Yes, I have the truck insured and I have the title also.

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insecto View Post
I was planning on getting it inspected the next day, but on my way home, the truck sprang an awful oil leak (1/2 qt. in 10 miles). Well, I didn't get the oil leak fixed until my 10 day permit was up. I'm ready to get the truck inspected, but the DMV says they can't give me another 10 day permit.

What am I to do? Is there something else I can get? Kind of between a rock and a hard place here. I only need to drive the truck 10 miles to the inspection station, and maybe 5 more to the DMV.

Yes, I have the truck insured and I have the title also.

Thanks a lot!
Have the truck towed and grab a taxi cab.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,451 times
Default CEL & CAT converter & potential waiver

Old thread but thought I'd give this a try. Moved to NC in the past year from a misfortunate state that fortunately did not require a vehicle safety and emissions inspection. I drive a 13 year old Jeep that I should not put over a grand in to for a CAT converter to meet emissions standards-- but sadly this seems to be my lot. I have read about a waiver that can be granted if over 200 bucks of repairs are put in to a car to meet emissions standards and 2 independent inspections are obtained. Can anyone speak to this or does anyone have kind words of wisdom for me?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyorgan View Post
I have read about a waiver that can be granted if over 200 bucks of repairs are put in to a car to meet emissions standards and 2 independent inspections are obtained. Can anyone speak to this or does anyone have kind words of wisdom for me?
This is from the NC DOT website:

§ 20‑183.5. When a vehicle that fails an emissions inspection may obtain a waiver from the inspection requirement.
(a) Requirements. – The Division may issue a waiver for a vehicle, excluding a vehicle owned or being held for retail sale by a motor vehicle dealer, that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Fails an emissions inspection because it passes the visual inspection but fails the analysis of data provided by the on‑board diagnostic (OBD) equipment.
(2) Has documented repairs costing at least the waiver amount made to the vehicle to correct the cause of the failure. The waiver amount is two hundred dollars ($200.00).
(3) Is reinspected and again fails the inspection because it passes the visual inspection but fails the analysis of data provided by the on‑board diagnostic (OBD) equipment.
(4) Meets any other waiver criteria required by 40 C.F.R. § 51.360, or as designated by the Division.
(b) Procedure. – To obtain a waiver, a person must contact a local enforcement office of the Division. Before issuing a waiver, an employee of the Division must review the inspection receipts issued for the inspections of the vehicle, review the documents establishing what repairs were made to the vehicle and at what cost, review any statement denying warranty coverage of the repairs made, and do a visual inspection of the vehicle, if appropriate, to determine if the documented repairs were made. The Division must issue a waiver if it determines that the vehicle qualifies for a waiver. A person to whom a waiver is issued must present the waiver to the self‑inspector or inspection station performing the inspection to obtain an electronic inspection authorization.
(c) Repairs. – The following repairs and their costs cannot be considered in determining whether the cost of repairs made to a vehicle equals or exceeds the waiver amount:
(1) Repairs covered by a warranty that applies to the vehicle.
(2) Repairs needed as a result of tampering with an emission control device of the vehicle.
(3) Repairs made by an individual who is not professionally engaged in the business of repairing vehicles.
(4) OBD diagnostics without corresponding repairs.
(d) Electronic Inspection Authorization. – An electronic inspection authorization issued to a vehicle after the vehicle receives a waiver from the requirement of passing the emissions inspection expires at the same time it would if the vehicle had passed the emissions inspection. (1965, c. 734, s. 1; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 754, s. 1; 2000‑134, ss. 16, 17; 2007‑503, s. 7.)

GS_20-183.5

I'm thinking that you must get the CEL to go out and have the catalytic converter installed. The main thing they seem to be looking for is that the vehicle pass the visual inspection but can fail the OBD section of the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina