U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 AM

298 posts, read 562,448 times

Advertisements

You may want to take a look at Davidson, which is about 20 miles outside of Charlotte. It is a small town with a walkable downtown area. I have only driven through there but it has a small town feel but is close enough to everything else you may need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM

10,601 posts, read 21,147,640 times
Asheville is sounding like it would be a good fit for you. So would Carrboro, Chapel Hill, but they are part of the Triangle metro which is about 1,000,000 even though no one city itself is over 500K.

I would suggest checking out the western NC forum and asking specifics about Asheville

Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 AM

23,777 posts, read 30,976,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis about to move View Post
We are going in November to travel around in NC, but just because NC is so big, we want already narrow down to a few cities / towns.
Regarding work, my husband is working out something with his company, which will allow him to work from home and I will be a stay at home mom.
We like to live in a small city: a place that has a downtown, but nothing too metropolitan; below 500.000 would be great.
We prefer a liberal area with a lot of diversity concerning restaurants and shops.

Thanks!
Will your husband need frequent access to an airport? Sometimes that comes with work from home jobs.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 15,135 times
My husband just had a meeting with his bosses and he will be able to work from the office in Richmond, VA. We are moving in June next year.
Thank you all so much for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

31,938 posts, read 73,484,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis about to move View Post
My husband just had a meeting with his bosses and he will be able to work from the office in Richmond, VA.
That's too bad.
Maybe you'll be able to move out of there soon.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,708 times
I would advise against moving to Charlotte, NC. I tried to move there and was afraid to stay. There were allot of people and seemed to be allot of bad neighborhoods. The air quality is very bad. It was doing something to me since my chest hurt somewhat. I'm unhappy in Bristol (VA, TN) and ended up coming back here. But I can breath easier. But I still want to try to move again very badly. I'm thinking Winston Salem or Asheboro, NC. This is a neat area since they this great bus system called PART and it will take you to different cities. Can anybody help me find an apartment (it would be for 2 related adults)? I need a cheap apartment in Winston Salem, NC or I'd consider Asheboro. Or any of the towns that the piedmont triad bus goes to.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,422,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmentseeker View Post
I would advise against moving to Charlotte, NC. I tried to move there and was afraid to stay. There were allot of people and seemed to be allot of bad neighborhoods. The air quality is very bad. It was doing something to me since my chest hurt somewhat. I'm unhappy in Bristol (VA, TN) and ended up coming back here. But I can breath easier. But I still want to try to move again very badly. I'm thinking Winston Salem or Asheboro, NC. This is a neat area since they this great bus system called PART and it will take you to different cities. Can anybody help me find an apartment (it would be for 2 related adults)? I need a cheap apartment in Winston Salem, NC or I'd consider Asheboro. Or any of the towns that the piedmont triad bus goes to.

Sorry you had an unsuccessful trip to Charlotte. Since you were looking for a 'cheap' apartment you saw the worst parts of the city I'm sure.

Apartment living in Charlotte has gotten quite expensive, but this is true in any large, desirable city. Therefore, you are smart to consider looking at smaller towns/cities for a place to move because they will be more in line with your limited budget.

I want to suggest you look at Mt. Airy, NC. It is a small town but only 30 minutes to Winston-Salem for all the bigger city things you might need, like great healthcare. You can also catch the PART bus in Mt. Airy very easily to go to WS. I would not try to live in WS because there are bad sections to that city too, and you will likely find yourself only looking at them if your budget is not real big. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM

10,601 posts, read 21,147,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I want to suggest you look at Mt. Airy, NC. It is a small town but only 30 minutes to Winston-Salem for all the bigger city things you might need, like great healthcare. You can also catch the PART bus in Mt. Airy very easily to go to WS. I would not try to live in WS because there are bad sections to that city too, and you will likely find yourself only looking at them if your budget is not real big. Best of luck to you.
OP has already replied above that they'll be moving to Richmond

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,680 times
Hi Lis we are also looking to relocate to NC. We are coming from Miami looking for a more relaxed environment for our boys to grow up in. We have visited Highpoint, Greensboro, & Raleigh Durham on many occasions and so far we are inclined to Raleigh. We find it has a great schooling system in comparison to were we live and its very college oriented. This is not our final destination yet but we will know more in October as we plan to travel to Chapel Hill, Charlotte, and Cary. My biggest thing is great schools, nice neighborhoods were our kids can have an outdoor afterschool lifestyle, good places to dine out at and perhaps some night life for the adults. Another factor for us is finding a non denominational christian church for our family to attend. We currently attend Fellowship Church in Miami which is all about the next generation and keeping families grounded and focused. I hope you find your ideal place.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,680 times
Thank you... where is Mathews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina