Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,062,874 times

Advertisements

We've been looking to relocate to Raleigh. I thought something would pop for me job-wise, but it's just not moving as quickly as I'd hoped. Now we're thinking of switching strategies somewhat and looking towards my husband to be the one who perhaps lands us the job that brings us down there. Problem wtih that is he has heavy financial/banking experience and there's more opportunity for him to pursue in Charlotte. We prefer Raleigh but long term financial goals dictate we both work and save as much $$$ as possible, not realistic here in MA.

So I'm just exploring other possibilities. What do people generally think: Triangle area vs Charlotte area:

Quality of public schools
Housing
Cost of living
weather
job market

If we went to the Triangle area, we'd look to Chapel Hill or maybe Hillsborough. Neither one of us really like the newer housing development atmosphere. I don't know what would be comparable in Charlotte. Also, Wake Cty schools are going through some growing pains and I'd rather not have my kids participate in that exercise!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,743,437 times
I think Charlotte wins out in all areas except public schools.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I think Charlotte wins out in all areas except public schools.
But you know, even though we have struggling inner city schools and overcrowding issues, I would still rather live here than in Wake county where they are still enforcing busing At least our kids have neighborhood schools and magnets to choose from.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,521,380 times
I say it's very debatable about the job market. Both are good markets, but are different in what types of jobs each offers. I would venture to say if you're involved in Banking than Charlotte would be the place to go, while if you're in the Bio-tech field Raleigh would have Charlotte beat. Both are probably about the same for IT, etc. So I'd say it's a push.

Also, as far as the weather, I don't see one area having any kind of advantage over the other (someone clue me in)!?

Housing might be a little bit more expensive in Raleigh, but there are many areas where I'm sure it's not much different than Charlotte as far as prices go. Plus as far as anyone coming from the high prices certain areas of the Mid-Atlantic, North East, and West Coast then I'm sure they would laugh at housing prices in either area (I'm from the DC area and I know I did).

Also, you can go to neigborhood schools in Wake County if you're willing to go year-round. Many kids also go to their neighborhood schools without going year-round. Wake County school system is actually growing faster then Meck's, so yes, with the limited taxes (compared to some other areas) there will be some growing pains and they can not always get the funding to build enough schools fast enough. Things will get better for Wake eventually and the Quality of the schools are great.

This is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,887,680 times
We live in the Charlotte area and have in-laws in Raleigh. Both are nice areas, but we prefer Charlotte. Schools are a little better in the Raleigh area as a whole. But Charlotte's cost of living is a little lower, there's more to do recreationally, and, though both have great economies, Charlotte is the 2nd largest financial center in the U.S. Weather and "clean 'n green", they're about the same. The town/suburb in metro Charlotte to look at would be Belmont. It's a beautiful little town about 20 minutes west of uptown Charlotte. It's growing at a very reasonable rate, has awesome established homes, near many recreational assets/shopping/resaurants, LOTS of trees, very safe, and good schools. It's also a lot less expensive than Chapel Hill.

Again, Charlotte and Raleigh are both great, but it seems in your case, Charlotte would be a good fit.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks. Please keep the opinions coming! For the record, we've already decided that, if we go to the Triangle area, we would NOT settle in Wake Cty because of the school issue. Chapel Hill and even Hillsborough (Orange Cty) top our lists right now.

One more question. I initially looked around Cary and quickly decided the planned sub-division layout of the area did not appeal to me. I lived in NoVa for a few years and that was one of the things I disliked most about that area. It was also one of the additional reasons I started looking in Chapel Hill. What is the Charlotte metro area like in this regard. One poster mentioned Belmont---does it look like what Cary/Apex/Holly Springs is becoming? Or is it more along the lines of the kind of 'burb you'd find in the metrowest Boston suburbs---lots of mature trees, houses that look different from eachother, etc.

Schools are an issue--we live in a town in MA with an excellent school district and I was delighted to find that CH schools are also very good. Would hope to find similar in the Charlotte metro.

I'm going to start checking out the Charlotte forum too.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Yes, Belmont has very nice, well established homes/neighborhoods with lots of trees. VERY claen and well-kept. It does have new subdivisions on its southern tip, but in town, it sounds like what you're looking for. It's close to nearly every major thing to do in the metro area. I lived there in the 90's and loved it! It's a real hidden gem!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Yes, Belmont has very nice, well established homes/neighborhoods with lots of trees. VERY claen and well-kept. It does have new subdivisions on its southern tip, but in town, it sounds like what you're looking for. It's close to nearly every major thing to do in the metro area. I lived there in the 90's and loved it! It's a real hidden gem!!!
How are the schools in Belmont? On the Raleigh forum board, North_Raleigh_Guy posted some pictures of an in-town (close to downtown) area of Raleigh with just gorgeous older homes full of character and the districted schools are actually magnet schools so they're very good.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM

620 posts, read 2,109,820 times
It is Gaston County schools and I am pretty sure the schools it is zoned for have a good reputation. Check out the Gaston County schools website.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
It is Gaston County schools and I am pretty sure the schools it is zoned for have a good reputation. Check out the Gaston County schools website.
This is true. We have friends who have/had children there and are very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina